Day one

Old 05-08-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you got through the day ok

D
Old 05-08-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Reading these threads has been my savior tonight. I am starting to feel the heat under my cheeks, my anxiety has lifted some, still foggy and praying for some sleep tonight (without the nyquil). Thanks for all the support
Old 05-08-2015, 09:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Rootin' for ya Charliee!
-Ted
Old 05-09-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Day two, slept pretty good and not feeling too badly, besides the anxiety and feeling like something is sitting on my chest. Maybe my last binge wasn't as bad as I thought, hopefully the worst is over. Drinking for me this time just wasn't the same, thought it would relieve some of the anxiety but instead it sent me into a worse depression, made me feel worthless and like a complete fraud. I want to proud of myself again and I will never feel that way unless I am sober.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wishing you all the very best. I know you've had a very difficult time of late, but you are right back on the road to recovery, even if it has to be one minute at a time.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

It is so good to hear that you took action Charliee. Hang in there, it will get easier
You never have to feel that way again
Old 05-09-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well, I am not sure what's going on, I thought all was good and done. Now I'm feeling feverish, sweaty, bad headache and stomach ache , oh and of course the anxiety. I want to feel normal again soon....
Old 05-09-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Old 05-09-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Sorry my phone was acting up. You are detoxing and should feel normal by Monday. if it gets worst or you start hearing things get to the hospital.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Like Carlotta said, you are detoxing. As others have said, if things get bad, you should go to an ER. For me day two was worse than day one, because the alcohol was leaving my system. Going through it alone is real hard to do. Sometimes that's why some people go into a detox center. You should start feeling better by tomorrow and like Carlotta said, by Monday you feel much better. Stick it out and you will see and feel the difference soon. John
Old 05-10-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

You can do this Charliee!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 05-10-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

How are you doing today Charliee? I hope you are starting to feel better.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

This is great news. I'm glad you are starting to feel better and stick with it. We are all in this together :-)
Old 05-10-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Day 3, doing pretty good. Very emotional with lots of anxiety! Physically not to bad. This emotional stuff tends to make me want to numb myself again, but I will hang tough!
Old 05-10-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Keep on hanging in there Charliee! You're doing great!
Old 05-10-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Your going to feel like a new person real soon. What are you doing for the anxiety? John
Old 05-10-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I am really at a loss for this anxiety, it has never been this bad before. My chest hurts so much. I have tried anti anxiety meds, but I end up abusing them and it is ten worse than alcohol for me, maybe not the withdrawal but definitely the way it affects me. I have started taking St Johns Wort and I am praying it works! I really can't handle feeling like this much longer.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:45 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

If it is coming in waves from out of the blue, it is just the chemicals in your brain rebalancing themselves. You will also feel waves of sadness coming onto you best thing to do is acknowledge that they are there and let them pass (which they do eventually).
I am really at a loss for this anxiety, it has never been this bad before
Remember that alcoholism is progressive..
Here is one of SRs threads
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ng-effect.html

The Kindling Effect of Addiction

The Kindling Effect of addiction and alcoholism is a progressive problem that addicts and alcoholics experience after multiple relapses. In simple terms, the kindling effect can be stated as the worsening of symptoms related to Acute Withdrawal and Post Acute Withdrawal, with progressive relapses that ultimately result in a higher propensity for a future, more severe return to drug or alcohol use. This is critical to understand in order to help addicts get clean and stay clean and prevent the kindling effect altogether.

To understand the kindling effect, you must first understand what happens to a person when they become addicted to a substance and then subsequently stop using. First, Acute Withdrawal Syndrome sets in within 12 to 24 hours of the last use of the drug in question (including alcohol). Symptoms of AWS include insomnia, severe drug cravings, anxiety, depression, physical discomfort and in some cases, seizure, pulmonary complications, and even coma and death. All of these symptoms are a result of neuronal hyperactivity as the brain and central nervous system “withdraw” from the drug and eventually return to a state of normalcy.

Once the process of physically withdrawing from a substance – known as Detoxing – is complete, recovering addicts generally feel much better and are able to function somewhat normally again. However, soon after symptoms of Post Acute Withdrawal will likely set in, causing another entire set of physical, mental and emotional problems that can drive some addicts to return to drugs as means of self-medication.

The kindling effect refers to the progressive worsening of acute withdrawal, post acute withdrawal, and relapses. In general, symptoms are worse each time an addict relapses. They suffer more pronounced and longer lasting symptoms during detox, their PAWS symptoms are more severe, and each progressive relapse is worse than the last.

The kindling effect is not entirely understood, but many experts in the field of addiction have speculated that it is the result of overly sensitive neurons. Neurons that service addictive behavior are permanent once developed and cause powerful cravings. With each progressive relapse these neurons become more and more hypersensitive. This means that even small triggers can cause an immediate return to aggressive drug use. In an article for ScienceBlog, a team of prominent researchers write;

“”Kindling” occurs when the nervous system develops increased sensitivity to a stimulus such as withdrawal from alcohol. When a nerve cell is repeatedly exposed to a stimulus that is initially too small to cause full nerve excitement, it can become more sensitive, or kindled, to the stimulus and begin to react at lower thresholds. This sensitivity persists over time and can become stronger with continued exposure to the stimulus.” (1)

When addicts do relapse, the kindling effect tends to cause each episode to be worse than the last. Addicts troubled by the kindling effect will return to using more quickly, use more heavily and for longer than each time before. While this may not be true for every person in every case, it does seem to be a pattern that warrants serious attention, because each new time an addict uses could be their last. The risks are simply too high.

If you or someone you love has been struggling with repeated relapses and you think the kindling effect is to blame, call the number at the top of your screen now for an immediate consultation. The best defense against this condition is to arrest addictive behaviors by intensely treating post acute withdrawal symptoms and denial. It’s imperative that you take action now.

(1) Joseph P. Reoux, M.D., Richard K. Ries, M.D. Searching for new detoxification strategies September 2001 ScienceBlog

Searching for new detoxification strategies

Accessed 05/18/2012
Old 05-10-2015, 10:44 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thank you Carlotta. I need to figure out what is causing so much of my pain and work actively on that. I think that I may be little bit afraid of going down that road too far. I may know what at the end and I don't want to go there., I try not to think too much about it and maybe that is where I need to start
Old 05-10-2015, 11:05 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I agree, in the early day it's sometimes better to keep it very simple and just focus on not drinking no matter what and a few basic recovery tools. Once your body is readjusted to being alcohol free then you can start dwelling deeper.
If you have the time and inclination, read up a bit on AVRT...being able to recognize your addictive voice and separate it from you will come in handy especially once you start feeling much better around day 7-10