Notices

I failed again

Old 05-07-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I failed again

I had a long weekend and drank. Today is my first day back at work. I already decided to get sober but I feel absolutely miserable. Anxiety, tired and dizzy and overall out of it. I've quit so many times and want sobriety so badly but always end up failing. I'm so upset and feel like I let my family down.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Zack.

I can completely relate to your situation. I certainly do not have all the answers. I'm trying hard myself. I wish you the best and I hope you stay strong and hang in there.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I kept relapsing until I finally wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Zack,

It might be helpful if you figured out why you decided to drink again and then tried to come up with healthy ways to deal with things. Know for sure that you can do this, and I'm glad you're back.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wish you all the best,been trying to kick the poison myself.... Good luck
Old 05-07-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Best of luck Zack.
I know I didn't really take sobriety seriously until even I got tired of hearing my excuses. Stay strong on you new Day One....

I hope this can be your last Day One!
Old 05-07-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Zack - Will power for me just did not work. For some I read they can seem to find enough gumption to get through without drinking.

We are all different. I read your threads and you remind me of what I went through. I had a level of desire and when I said I would quit I really meant it.

Then, inevitably I would drink again.
Finally I became willing to at least explore the idea of face to face support. I started that last June and have not had a drink since the 9th .........

I only share this because is seems like you have genuine desire but may need some additional tools. I am sharing my experience for that reason - there is a solution beside just our own will power.

F2F support coupled with SR has made all the difference in the world for me.
Glad your here posting -
Keep coming back
Old 05-07-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Zackman. Reading back through your posts since last November you've returned to drinking 4 times and started 4 threads about it. What all of them have in common is that you have not replied or posted in a single one of them other than the initial post about the recent drinking.

I point that out not to belittle you or discourage you, but to illustrate that recovery and sobriety are a process...and you need to work on that process each day. That means choosing some kind of sobriety method or plan and working on it each and every day. You can't just "decide to be sober" and stop drinking....it doesn't work that way unfortunately.

Have you every tried meetings like AA or LifeRing/others? Have you ever seen an alcohol/drug counselor? Have you ever talked to your doctor about your drinking problem? Those would be some great places to start.

Spending time here on SR and reading/replying/asking questions is also very helpful...many people use it as their primary support. But like all of them, they will only work if you do the work.

Hope you can stick around and feel better soon.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk Bud
Old 05-07-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies and support. I plan on going to my first AA meeting next week. I went to one before but got too nervous and walked out. I have to do it this time.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Keep us posted on your progress. We want you to succeed at this . Many people have done it before you, and you can too. We're not perfect. We make mistakes. It's no big deal - glad you're back on track.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey, Zackman. Good to see you back. It seems when I get too overconfident and cut out support like SR.....I screw up. It really IS an everyday activity to use our supports. I wish you so much success!
Old 05-07-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Zackman - you sound fed up & disgusted. That's the point I had to get to. I finally acknowledged that drinking was never going to be fun again - those days were gone & never coming back. All drinking brought me was misery, guilt, remorse - no reason to cling to it. You can do this zackman.