Notices

Cinco de Mayo

Old 05-05-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes, another great marketing campaign by alcohol companies and bars. Waking up with a tequila hangover (remember how you could still taste it the morning after?) on a Wednesday morning is NOT where I want to be in life. We have better things to do, folks.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by site1Q84 View Post
Always loved margaritas, but never "celebrated" the 5th. I guess I never needed a holiday as an excuse to drink, I did just fine everyday that ended in y
Haha me too.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by HeartsAfire View Post
Cinco de Mayo es mi cumpleaños.
Happy Birthday Hearts!!!
Old 05-05-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

A 2007 UCLA Newsroom article notes that "The holiday, which has been celebrated in California continuously since 1863, is virtually ignored in Mexico."[34] TIME magazine reports that "Cinco de Mayo started to come into vogue in 1940s America during the rise of the Chicano movement."[25] The holiday crossed over from California into the rest of the United States in the 1950s and 1960s but did not gain popularity until the 1980s when marketers, especially beer companies, capitalized on the celebratory nature of the day and began to promote it.[35][36] It grew in popularity and evolved into a celebration of Mexican culture and heritage, first in areas with large Mexican-American populations, like Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston and San Jose.[37]

In a 1998 study in the Journal of American Culture it was reported that there were more than 120 official U.S. celebrations of Cinco de Mayo, and they could be found in 21 different states. An update in 2006 found that the number of official Cinco de Mayo events was 150 or more, according to José Alamillo, professor of ethnic studies at Washington State University in Pullman, who has studied the cultural impact of Cinco de Mayo north of the border.[38]
Hmmm....
Old 05-05-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It is just "Taco Tuesday" around here, lol. My kids are calling it that. They don't even know why, but kids are discussing it at school, I guess.

I do enjoy making some guac, having chips and have made tacos fajitas, or enchiladas, etc... All that stuff is on sale this week at the grocery store.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I'm in!
Old 05-05-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Great post Brian!!

Not a day that get's marked this side of the Atlantic, but I'm with you on St Patrick's day!!
Old 05-05-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Do your best

Happy cinco de mayo to anyone celebrating, happy birthday hearts

My birthday is in may so im fond of this lol
Old 05-05-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Get the mayo out of the sink?
Old 05-05-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Happy birthday Hearts.
happy 14th month Bim

And yes, it is amazing how the american alcohol industry can take something and run with it...
Programming many that they must, absolutely must participate in the festivities. And spend your money to get drunk.
Maybe the alcohol industry should spend an equal amount to support rehabs and alcohol detox centers penny for penny what they spend on advertising. If I could introduce a bill to congress for that... it would never get off the floor I'm afraid...

Hope everyone is enjoying another sober Tuesday - taco Tuesday , yeah I like it.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

This whole thread made me hungry for tacos.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Yes, another great marketing campaign by alcohol companies and bars. Waking up with a tequila hangover (remember how you could still taste it the morning after?) on a Wednesday morning is NOT where I want to be in life. We have better things to do, folks.
Yes, for some reason I associate tequila more than any other liquor with waking up in yesterday's clothes.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Maybe the alcohol industry should spend an equal amount to support rehabs and alcohol detox centers penny for penny what they spend on advertising. If I could introduce a bill to congress for that... it would never get off the floor I'm afraid...
That's actually a good idea. Same concept as logging companies in Canada. For every tree you cut down, you have to plant 2 seedlings. That's the law.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Bimini.

Well done, amigo.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
Cinco de Mayo is a total cultural fraud. It's barely recognized in Mexico and, contrary to what people think in America, is not the anniversary of Mexican independence from Spain. It's just another made up Hallmark holiday promoted by the international liquor conglomerates to sell Coronas.
This. My mom's family is Mexican, and they don't celebrate the day at all.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I've just looked at other threads in the forum dealing with Cinco do Mayo and hanging tough and sober. I had absolutely no clue it was such a huge thing. what I have noticed is that there are more radio ads for Cinco do Mayo specials at bars in the trendy, young people areas of Chicago. I've seen no ads on the stores in the suburb right next door which has a sizable Mexican population.

Phoebe, did your kids see the Lego movie? I've seen it several times already. There is taco Tuesday in the movie.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
... did your kids see the Lego movie? I've seen it several times already. There is taco Tuesday in the movie.
I know that wasn't directed at me, but I can't help myself because "EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!"

The bar that I used to jokingly refer to as "my living room" (because I was there almost daily) used to have Taco Tuesday every week. They weren't even that tasty. It means nothing to me now.

Hmmm maybe tomorrow will be Waffle Wednesday!
Old 05-05-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I love that song Bookmaven! It's so upbeat.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
Yes, for some reason I associate tequila more than any other liquor with waking up in yesterday's clothes.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by bookmaven View Post
I was all caught up in Star Wars Day yesterday (May the Fourth be with you) to even register that today was one of those "party" days. My SO used to work at a Mexican restaurant that held an annual Margarita Fiesta with umpteen flavors and a beer tent and a band. Didn't even think about that this year. Sober and clean for today! Lol yes I'm a geek!
And tomorrow will be another Star Wars Day for those that overindulge today.

Revenge of the Fifth

I actually did celebrate a little at lunch. I had noticed a SuperMercado near where I work that stays awfully busy so I went exploring to grab something for lunch. Not just groceries, oh no. A panadera(bakery) with at least 50 fresh baked traditional selections. Great meat and produce sections. Tucked in the back...a taqueria. A very busy taqueria. OK, steak tacos please. $2 each for steak stuffed fresh soft taco goodness. And quick enough for our half-hour lunch break. TY,TY,TY,TY,TY,TY,TY.