Notices

Question about SR...

Old 04-29-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

SR has become a site for me to check daily. Just like my favorite news and sports websites, it's part of my daily routine. I don't post every day, and sometimes I travel and skip posting for a while, but I'm always back. I always join the "Sober Weekender" threads to check in with the gang there. We often share information about our hobbies, projects, etc. Things that we are doing outside of recovery, just day-to-day stuff. It's good to see people who have gotten over the grief of giving up the bottle and have moved on to Regular Joe & Jane stuff. It's pretty incredible: people talk about volunteering, art, work, music, and travel. Lots of neat stuff happening for sober people out there. And plenty of normal, hum-drum days for us too. We share the little and big things happening in the day-to-day life.

I think it might be also helpful to know that there's no "set schedule" for any of us. We post when we have advice to share, or when we need support, or just whenever we feel like it. There are no rules, there's no magic formula. "Spending 30 minutes per day on SR increases your chance of long-term sobriety by 60%" - sorry, no statistics like this are available. Just relax, read, post, etc. You're doing a great job so far.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I check in with my morning coffee everyday. ..and then when I can during the day, and then when I go to bed, and.. again before I go to sleep . So I guess 3-4 times per day. It keeps me reminded why I quit and why I need to stay quit. I read about people's suffering and struggling and how I don't want to go through that again. I still don't feel real confident so I stay connected to this site. I add comments and support where I can and have done new threads, but not often. About all I do is Newcomers. ..haven't checked out chat room yet. I like the bedtime gratitude - reminds me of gratitude before I go to sleep. I love Tennantsmith ' s "Michelle s accountability thread" it's a great idea and must be very helpful for her as well as those who read it. I love weasels weekend thread. This is what's working for me so far. I don't do anything else.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think my personal program has had more to do with making major lifestyle changes and a radical shift in my spirituality than with coping tools for staying sober. SR is my main--well, only--sobriety support, but it is more than that. I learn a lot about being a better person in general from other SR members.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

SR keeps me grounded and gives me a daily reminder of what I left behind. I stop by almost every day in the hopes of sharing what I have found in my sobriety.