SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Question about SR... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/365952-question-about-sr.html)

Serenidad 04-29-2015 06:58 AM

Question about SR...

Hi guys, I know that many people on this site have used (or are using) SR as their only "program" or "support" system for sobriety and I think that's great!

That being said, what do you do each day here on SR that really helps? Do you check in to a daily support thread? What forums do you read? Do you do on-line meetings? Chat room?

How much time do you spend here daily?

I'm just curious because SR is going to be my main support system for now while I do some soul-searching. Sorry if this is a weird question or thread. I've just always wondered. Thx!

least 04-29-2015 07:00 AM

I check in several times a day. Help newcomers and offer advice and experience. It keeps me sober, especially reading about those who have relapsed.

It makes me grateful for my sobriety. :)

MarathonMan 04-29-2015 07:04 AM

I check in to the 24 hour thread each day, before I sign in i try to take it seriously and commit to myself another 24 hours and then the forum is just the act of putting the decision out into the public domain.

I also try to read and relate to the posts in newcomers and reply to any that I feel touch on my personal situation or i find thought provoking.

TennantSmith 04-29-2015 07:04 AM

I go to chat in the morning while having my coffee. I then check into my Accountability thread, the daily 24 hour thread and read others. It keeps me grounded and I gain new tools. It also helps me to realize I'm not alone.

Also, since being more active, I've taken steps to add more parts to my recovery such as counseling.

It really does help a lot.

firstymer 04-29-2015 07:07 AM

I read the Newcomers thread every day - several times a day. I offer comments and support when I can. Then, later in the day, I check back and see if anyone responded to my comments (I am embarrassingly vain like that :08: ) Then, if I have time, and if I see that there are people in the chat room, I may go there and try to offer something to the conversation.

Mostly, I get help here by trying to give help to others who seem to be struggling even more than I am. Not sure why that helps me, but it does.

BeBetterforkids 04-29-2015 07:20 AM

I have SR up on my phone and at work almost all day - I get my work done but find it very helpful to keep checking in to see how everyone is doing. At night , I constantly read posts to get me through my rough time.

lunar 04-29-2015 07:26 AM

I stop in many times throughout the day.
As for how I utilize SR:

Originally Posted by TennantSmith (Post 5344302)
.....It keeps me grounded and I gain new tools. It also helps me to realize I'm not alone.......

^^^^^^
This!

Mysusnshine1 04-29-2015 07:27 AM

I'm newly sober and I find checking the form often helps me stay sober. I also use the 24 Hour promise to sobriety as a way to motivate myself. If you look at all of us as your friends and sober family, I find its more difficult to let people in here down. I try to give encouraging words often, If I'm in here supporting others telling them to stay strong then I myself have to be strong as well.
Hope this helps....

ArtFriend 04-29-2015 07:31 AM

Depends on the day... yesterday I was not around much. Making up for it this morning. I try to read and respond to threads that resonate with me personally rather than just skimming through all of them. Some make me think and others make me mad and others make me laugh. But I try to tie them into my own quest for sobriety and see what fits.

Justincredible 04-29-2015 07:41 AM

SR is my main support along with therapy. This is the best "fit" I have ever found in regards to a "program". I have tried many other methods and programs before. This one is actually working, and I am grateful for it!

Serenidad 04-29-2015 07:58 AM

What is the 24 hour daily check-in thread? Is that the thread that is the month that you got sober in? Like April 2015? Or December 2012 or whatever?

ScottFromWI 04-29-2015 08:02 AM

I would turn it around and ask you what it is that you think you need the most help with Serenidad. You've spent a lot of time contemplating why other methods are NOT working for you, try and think about why that is. What situations in your life are the most problematic when it comes to staying sober? What are the major issues you have in dealing with life in general?

SR is really only what you make of it, just like any other recovery program. There are forums here for those with many different types of addiction and even for those with mental health issues. Do you feel that you might have any underlying issues that need to be treated by a counselor? I know I did.

So really ask yourself what YOU need to do.

JaneLane 04-29-2015 08:05 AM

I check into the daily support thread, interact as much as I can on Newcomers and message people. The 24 hour thread is super cool. You check in and indicate that you're going to be sober for the next 24 hours, reply to other people and hang out. It'll be under the 'new posts' tab if you're on a computer probably as it's usually very active!

ZaBoozer 04-29-2015 08:12 AM

SR has been my only window into recovery. I am not counting reading or anything like that, as most of those book titles I got here. The only input into how I am feeling or what is waiting has been gleaned from the threads here on this site. I also keep a journal in the form of a thread that helps keep me honest and accountable. And if I ever want to know how crap it was to go through, or if I want a drink, I just re-read my thread. I also find the comments and suggestions from people who read the thread encouraging and sometimes yes, they do boost my ego a bit. But hey, I will take it if I can get it. ;) Seriously though, there are some very helpful people on this forum, I wish I had discovered it before I went down the recovery road that I did.

JD4010 04-29-2015 08:12 AM

Hey Serenidad, I found the 24 hour thread in the "Newcomer's Daily Support Threads", just below this particular forum. I even posted in it for the first time!

Dee74 04-29-2015 05:18 PM

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-54-a-11.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-12.html

D

Anna 04-29-2015 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI (Post 5344393)
I would turn it around and ask you what it is that you think you need the most help with Serenidad. You've spent a lot of time contemplating why other methods are NOT working for you, try and think about why that is. What situations in your life are the most problematic when it comes to staying sober? What are the major issues you have in dealing with life in general?.

Yes! This is exactly how I started. I was struggling with guilt and I was struggling with trying to keep my mind focused in positive ways. Those were the things I searched for here. I stayed mainly in the Women's forum and focused on several women who seemed to have the peace and serenity I was seeking.

Figure out what you want/need and go looking for it.

Fly N Buy 04-29-2015 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by least (Post 5344293)
I check in several times a day. Help newcomers and offer advice and experience. It keeps me sober, especially reading about those who have relapsed.

It makes me grateful for my sobriety. :)

Huge key!!
Don't want to go back out the door - its too tough and early sobriety sucks!

thomas11 04-29-2015 06:09 PM

I read a couple different forums everyday. This site has kept me in check and I am really grateful for its existence.

amandamarie 04-29-2015 06:23 PM

I only joined 10 days ago, but I have found that something new is always being posted. I just look through new posts and if I have any input I reply to them. I have started a couple threads to get advice. I make my vow to stay sober 24 hours, which it really does help to make that promise.
I have been getting on while my daughter is watching cartoons before school, and I am off and on all day. If I added up the time I would have to say I spend 6 hours a day on here usually so far. I do not work, and I am home all day though so it is nice for me to have people to talk to, because when I am alone that is when I usually go to the neighbors and get drunk. I would probably use the chat rooms but my laptop does not work with them. But no worries you will not run out of things to read and do or people to talk to who understand.