Notices

Advise

Old 04-27-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advise

Hi all

I am going to the local addiction service where I have been receiving one to one counselling. My counselor wants me to attend the group therapy which I am ok with this. There will be about 10 in the group. He wants me also to attend AA meeting 2 nights.

I don't feel I am ready for AA meetings if I don't attend I can't do the group therapy. I am not sure why I am so reluctant to go to the meetings. Maybe its just fear or trust issues. I have research online pro's and con's of AA but its still not helping me. One day I convince myself its what I need and the next day I change my mind.

I know that I can't drink again because the last drink I had lasted 6 months and had an adverse effect on my mental health and my family. I am a very private person but I know that in any crisis situation I reach for a drink. Its how I have coped all my life
now I want to change this but I keep doubting myself.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello,

I attend my local addiction group too and enjoy the meetings. I also attend AA. It did scare me because I had a lot of preconceived notions about it, but I attended a bunch of different meetings and I now go there for the community. Maybe you will take something positive from it :-)
Old 04-27-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Willingness to do everything in your power to get and stay sober says something about your commitment to your decision. I'd say attend, with an open mind, before making any assumptions.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Hardchoices i would definatly try mtns if your thinking about it group therapy really helped me out

You have us in your corner all the way bud
Old 04-27-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Court jester

Welcome HC! You will find alot of support and good advice here.

I am sorry to hear that your counselor has made attendance at group therapy contingent on attending AA meetings. I suppose there are 2 things you can do. First, are there any other support groups that will allow you to attend without having to go to AA? If not, then perhaps you can just go to the required 2 meetings a week just so that you can get to your group sessions.

There are good people at AA. I attend regularly even though I do not agree with some of their philosophies. I go because I enjoy being around like minded people.

Whatever you decide, the important thing is to do something. Take action daily for your sobriety. Don't let indecision keep you stuck.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for you replies, I will see my counselor on Wed and then its decision time. I do know that I can't drink again so hopefully I will have the courage to do what is needed. Knowing your an alcoholic is different from be told you are one. Time to change my life for the better!
Old 04-27-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AAers are the warmest and most understanding people you will ever meet. I have made friends like I have never had before and AA is the only place I feel really safe