Notices

Surprise sobriety benefit: I look gooooood!

Old 04-20-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Surprise sobriety benefit: I look gooooood!

I've read many many times that one of the paths to long term sobriety is humility.

HOWEVER, I must say that if someone had told me that after a month sober, I'd be better looking, I might have been more likely to give up drinking earlier --- so I'm saying it here!

I've struggled with self esteem my whole life, never feeling pretty enough, and one of my major issues was with my face - I have struggled with acne (as a teenager and adult - I am now 29) and also the fact that my face and nose was almost so puffy and never chiseled like the "models in magazines" - I had such bad self esteem that even after years of therapy, I ended up getting a nose job and basically looked exactly the same afterwards (what a waste of money, time and emotion). I was also always upset with my constantly puffy stomach, no matter how much I worked out or dieted. I often drank after looking in the mirror because this was the only way I could deal with my own reflection.

Well after a month sober, I definitely see that I am looking a million times better now that almost all of my face puffiness is gone, and dare I say prettier. I will 100% admit and acknowledge that is a completely narcissistic and egotistical thing to say, but I can finally look in the mirror first thing in the morning with no makeup on and smile at the way I look. I look so much younger (less wrinkles), my acne is fading, my face redness is gone, and my puffiness is so much less - and I'm finally getting towards the stomach I've always wanted. I can't remember a time in my life that I have EVER been able to think this way about myself.

So listen, I'll work on the humility later on - right now I just wanted to share that anyone who has issues with the way they look, sobriety has been a trillion times better than any makeup or plastic surgery I've ever done - and is yet another reason to remind myself (in early sobriety) to stick with this life!!!

Side note: It is possible that I look exactly the same and it's just that I feel more confident about myself now that I'm no longer drinking. I don't really care either way, I'm just happy to be able to look into a mirror without wanting to smash it!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awesome Post! No reason to apologize for feeling and looking great. During my darkest drinking days I lost all my confidence. I felt useless and incompetent. I could not even look at myself in the mirror without shame. Now that I am sober, I have my confidence back and its pouring over and that's a good thing!

Your body loves your decision to have stopped drinking!! congrats!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is nothing wrong with acknowledging that positive work has paid off! Good for you, I say! I am looking forward to seeing myself that way as well!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're happy with the improvements you're seeing.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Cambie
Old 04-20-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Cambie:

I made several posts saying the same thing!

It's really a huge difference!

I'm so happy that you are seeing these changes!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is nothing wrong with acknowledging any benefits of sobriety, and nothing to be ashamed of about wanting to look good (or better). Who does not? There have been many threads about the positive effects of sobriety on our appearance here, it seems like a quite general experience.

I understand insecurities and issues related to the perception of our physical appearance, had lots myself when I was a kid. I also habitually avoided looking in the mirror during my worst drinking times and felt quite like you in early sobriety that finally I could open my (no longer bloodshot) eyes.

Whether it's improved appearance or increased confidence, both of these are good things and I'm sure both of them are also true. Congrats!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's okay and healthy to acknowledge positive changes. And I'm right there with you. When I quit drinking before, I absolutely glowed. When I was thinking about drinking again, one thing that stopped me for a while was I knew what it would do to my appearance.

You've found another positive benefit of sobriety. Embrace it with all you have, beautiful
Old 04-20-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

That's awesome! Really great. Congrats!!!
Old 04-20-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on being sober 1 month! More benefits to come....

It's a good example that beauty comes from the inside....
Old 04-21-2015, 03:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is great news!!! Keep it up and things will continue to get better. :-)