Old 04-20-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cambie03

Surprise sobriety benefit: I look gooooood!

I've read many many times that one of the paths to long term sobriety is humility.

HOWEVER, I must say that if someone had told me that after a month sober, I'd be better looking, I might have been more likely to give up drinking earlier --- so I'm saying it here!

I've struggled with self esteem my whole life, never feeling pretty enough, and one of my major issues was with my face - I have struggled with acne (as a teenager and adult - I am now 29) and also the fact that my face and nose was almost so puffy and never chiseled like the "models in magazines" - I had such bad self esteem that even after years of therapy, I ended up getting a nose job and basically looked exactly the same afterwards (what a waste of money, time and emotion). I was also always upset with my constantly puffy stomach, no matter how much I worked out or dieted. I often drank after looking in the mirror because this was the only way I could deal with my own reflection.

Well after a month sober, I definitely see that I am looking a million times better now that almost all of my face puffiness is gone, and dare I say prettier. I will 100% admit and acknowledge that is a completely narcissistic and egotistical thing to say, but I can finally look in the mirror first thing in the morning with no makeup on and smile at the way I look. I look so much younger (less wrinkles), my acne is fading, my face redness is gone, and my puffiness is so much less - and I'm finally getting towards the stomach I've always wanted. I can't remember a time in my life that I have EVER been able to think this way about myself.

So listen, I'll work on the humility later on - right now I just wanted to share that anyone who has issues with the way they look, sobriety has been a trillion times better than any makeup or plastic surgery I've ever done - and is yet another reason to remind myself (in early sobriety) to stick with this life!!!

Side note: It is possible that I look exactly the same and it's just that I feel more confident about myself now that I'm no longer drinking. I don't really care either way, I'm just happy to be able to look into a mirror without wanting to smash it!