Notices

Jeremy (TDG) rehab day 1 but I like Jeremy more

Old 04-09-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Jeremy (TDG) rehab day 1 but I like Jeremy more

Well I got there early today to fill out the rest of the paperwork I was expecting an hour of paperwork and admission and then some down time and my first 1 on 1 session and then a group session.

As it turns out I got their 40 minutes early and finished the admissions process at the very time of my actual appointment. First unexpected event, , once signed up I am open to take any course I want, and because I was very early for group I was told to take an earlier class.

So I was expecting to be in class around 1 pm but took my first group class at 11pm. The subject, " how do you keep yourself sober" my answer don't drink and focus on the future.

Lets just say my answers was far less involved or advanced then others answers. One girl said, " I set 10 goals everyday, if I accomplish my goals I reward myself" I was expecting some pretty difficult goals, but that wasn't the reality she said, " I wake up everyday make my bed, clean my room, sweep and vacuum, I try to make friend a day, I participate in all my classes" and so forth she went. I realized her goals as she said " focused on routine and things she wouldn't have done drunk". The goals weren't about reinventing the wheel, they were about achieve a pattern in life an stability. I like this advice a lot.

Next, I was supposed to have my first one on one counseling session,but things happened and it had to be postponed tell tomorrow.

So here is my opportunity, rehab didn't kill, just provided a space for me to talk. Really brought to the forefront the idea that sobriety isn't just something you do, but rather a process.

Interesting, so where I go from here I don't know ,but today could be the beginning of an end, or the end to a beginning, time will tell. Nobody can impart that knowledge upon me, but me. Thanks for reading good day
Old 04-09-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're starting IOP jeremy.
Try to have no preconceptions, listen to others, I think you'll get a lot out of it

D
Old 04-09-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow Jeremy..so glad to hear it!

I shared a lot in my therapy appt today about my month in rehab two summers ago. I laughed a lot while I was sharing, and I was surprised at the level of detail with which I remembered so much. I think I absorbed way more than I even understood until recounting it today. I realized I was remembering it fondly as the start of my new life. It wasn't that I wanted to be there every moment I was there, but in retrospect it was a transformative event in my life.

That first step is always the hardest…you did it!
Old 04-09-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really like that also. Set achievable goals that help develop your routine without drinking as a part of it. I will try that. Thank you for sharing.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
quat

Jeremy sounds a pretty good day on the whole, glad to hear it didn't killya rootin for ya
Old 04-09-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad it went well!
Old 04-09-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Very happy that you had a good experience.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fantastic Jeremy! This sounds really good. I'm so happy for you.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just go at it with an open mind and spirit, Jeremy. Be ready to accept any useful truths you find there.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Yipee !!!!!!!!!!!! Jeremy
Old 04-10-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are very lucky to be in such a well run professional set-up Jeremy. I relate to what the young woman said I found that setting goals, even day to day functioning goals, was an enormous motivation in early sobriety. Maybe this is something to try yourself?

You are right that sobriety is a process, that's considerable learning in one day.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sounds like it went well Jeremy. Good job. And keep your head up!
Old 04-10-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sounds like so far it his been an overall success. I wish you the best!
Old 04-10-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great, and I mean GREAT job of doing what you needed to do to get in and then going. I was really glad to see your post this morning.