Notices

Day 1...

Old 03-29-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I felt the same way at 30 Jendler. I didn't do what you're doing - I never tried to stop the runaway train. As a result, some decades are a complete blur. My life would've been completely different if I'd taken a hard look at what I was doing to myself. You won't have the regrets many of us have - you can reclaim your life now.

We're glad to have you with us.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jendler69 View Post
Does anyone have any foods or nutrients they recommend for the first few days? :/
Don't take this as advice, but personally, I can't really keep much solid food down when I detox. However, I do try dairy products like yogurt and ice cream, as they contain bacteria that I at least think helps the cleansing process.

Then obviously, lots of salads and greens. I also try to drink lots of green tea with honey, as it contains lots of anti-oxidants. Then of course, these multi-vitamin natural fruit juice drinks. I think I may actually buy a juicer for my next detox as well.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I recently purchased some glycine after reading this article.
It has really improved my sleep.
Glycine - Improving Sleep Quality | Naturopathic Currents
Old 03-29-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome jendler - great advice here.

The way I look at it is - my old life was so boring I had to drink to make it tolerable.

Couch, computer liquor store was my life, and that's no exaggeration.

My life is so full now...I need 25 hours in the day.

Give recovery a shot...it's rough in the early days, sure, but it gets better

D
Old 03-29-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jendler69 View Post
Does anyone have any foods or nutrients they recommend for the first few days? :/
Carbs and then some carbs.

Seriously, stock up on juices, Gatorade, ice cream, cupcakes, cookies - in addition to a good balanced food plan. One of the reasons of early withdrawal is the withdrawal of sugars, in the form of alcohol.

You know how people on low-carb diets get the "carb-flu"? Well, that's what you're going to have.

When I got antsy or fidgety, I had a dark chocolate square. When I couldn't sleep, I had hot cocoa and toast with sugar and cinnamon, and I came here until I felt sleepy. There's always someone on this site, 24/7.

There are some detox diets online you can Google...you'll need to up your B vitamins, too. That's easily accomplished with food, though. Eat as much as you can, you're probably on the verge of malnourished. We tend to drink and then eat crap. Or not eat - because that would ruin the buzz, right?
Old 03-29-2015, 09:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
JustaGuy

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
I felt the same way at 30 Jendler. I didn't do what you're doing - I never tried to stop the runaway train. As a result, some decades are a complete blur. My life would've been completely different if I'd taken a hard look at what I was doing to myself. You won't have the regrets many of us have - you can reclaim your life now.

We're glad to have you with us.
Thanks Hevyn. Thats why I am doing this... I don't want to turn 50 tomorrow and look at the last 20 years wondering why I wasted my life in a bottle. Your words mean so much right now.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
JustaGuy

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome jendler - great advice here.

The way I look at it is - my old life was so boring I had to drink to make it tolerable.

Couch, computer liquor store was my life, and that's no exaggeration.

My life is so full now...I need 25 hours in the day.

Give recovery a shot...it's rough in the early days, sure, but it gets better

D
D, I am sure those first few days I will be on here a lot. I have a friend who is going to stay with me the first night or two too make sure I am okay. But I plan on communicating and describing what I am going through on here a lot during that time also.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
JustaGuy

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Carbs and then some carbs.

Seriously, stock up on juices, Gatorade, ice cream, cupcakes, cookies - in addition to a good balanced food plan. One of the reasons of early withdrawal is the withdrawal of sugars, in the form of alcohol.

You know how people on low-carb diets get the "carb-flu"? Well, that's what you're going to have.

When I got antsy or fidgety, I had a dark chocolate square. When I couldn't sleep, I had hot cocoa and toast with sugar and cinnamon, and I came here until I felt sleepy. There's always someone on this site, 24/7.

There are some detox diets online you can Google...you'll need to up your B vitamins, too. That's easily accomplished with food, though. Eat as much as you can, you're probably on the verge of malnourished. We tend to drink and then eat crap. Or not eat - because that would ruin the buzz, right?
BB, thank you so much for the advice. I know in the end its all going to be about being strong and not backing down and being touch through the hard parts... but its nice to try and make it easier any way I can. Heres what I have lined up... tell me what you think...

1. Tuesday I get paid. After work I am going to the store to load up on juices, water snacks, and food.

2. That same night I am dropping all of my alcohol off at my friends house with the exception of 3 beers (so temping to be like ohhh 3-6 beers... NO... 3 exactly).

3. A different friend is coming to spend the night and stay with me the next two-three nights (depending on how they think I am doing).

4. I have taken Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday off from work (didn't say why to my boss, told him I would tell him in person, but he already approved it).

5. I have told my three closest friends (one is the the one who is taking my alcohol, another is the one staying with me).

6. If I need to go out or my friend thinks I need to get out he will take me. (he will be holding all of my cash and cards per my requests). The friend who is staying came over after I told him what was going on today to talk and make sure I am alright and he is completely supportive on this. Felt weird because I was crying from fear when he walked in... but he was cool, didn't say anything, just did some small talk at first... then he asked me to let him no what was up and I told him how afraid I was and why I was doing it... guys like a brother and he understands. Said if he needs to stay longer to make sure I'm good the first week, he'll arrange it...

I know... none of this screams "I am strong" I guess... none of this sounds like "I can conquer this on my own"... I have tried on my own so many times. Its time I reached out and leaned on some other people while I go through this....

excited and scared... thanks for everyone's support and advice and tips. Can't say how much it means to me.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Smart move on having a friend over; the next 24 hours are going to suck, but you can do it. I'm on day one again as well... Been going 3 days to a week and been ending up binging every now and again.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:00 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a solid plan in place, so kudos to that!

10 day hump for physical withdrawals, with day 3 being the toughest I'm told.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Your plan is great!

I think I was a nervous wreck from the alcohol. It causes anxiety and depression.

Make it through the first hard couple weeks, then things begin to get better. You should be able to go back to work after five days, but be prepared that everything that happens will seem like such a huge ordeal

Sorry, not laughing at you. And hopefully you will handle the emo side better than I did. I'm female, so there's that and I've always been really sensitive.

You're going to be fine.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'd just add that if you start getting a really high heart rate, go to the ER.

There are plenty of stories of people for whom withdrawal was dangerous. It can be. Just because I didn't have a bad experience, doesn't mean your withdrawal will be smooth. I just didn't know any better - and didn't know that I could have died alone. I figured I was gonna die from the alcohol, but didn't know that withdrawal could kill me, too. Prepare your houseguest for the possibility that you may need medical intervention.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:06 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
JustaGuy

Well, Night one of no drinking. Slowly feeling that headache build. Kind of feeling that anxious feeling. Drinking lots of water. My friend is over and so far spent the evening playing a few games of chess. Watching a movie now. Its 1am and I feel exhausted and anxious at the same time. Sucks. Feel kind of hungry and nauseous at the same time. Thinking feels both more clear and extremely distracted and hard to focus. Sticking with this though!!!
Old 04-01-2015, 01:31 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Feel free to check out our April support thread jendler

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...il-2015-a.html

D
Old 04-01-2015, 01:32 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Feel free to check out our April support thread jendler

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...il-2015-a.html

D