Notices

Random Thoughts on Addiction

Old 03-28-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Random Thoughts on Addiction

I was thinking about my journey into abusing substances and I drew a link that I'd never drawn before. For two years I smoked marijuana like a fiend and it totally destroyed parts of my life and then I cut it off completely and a lot of those areas improved.

For some reason I never thought about alcohol in that way. I always thought there was just, hey, something in me that can't handle weed and that abuses it. Well of course its the same for alcohol. I never think to myself "gee getting high would really help me out in this social/whatever situation". Because I know it just turns me into a wreck. Its the same with alcohol but its just harder for me to see. For many reasons I guess.

Just a thought I had this morning. Maybe the comparison isn't wholly apt, but I had nowhere else to share it, and at the time it seemed meaningful.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree - pills - then alcohol. Takes a while to see they're all bad.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me a while to see that my problem wasn't alcohol or pot...the problem was me.

Alcohol and pot were just my maladaptive ways of trying to cope with being me.

D
Old 03-28-2015, 10:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i feel the same as Dee.. i used alcohol and pot to numb the pain of a difficult world.. i didn't think it was fair and the thought of quitting my shield seemed unbearable. i have also learned that by facing the pain.. i have a chance to understand how i put myself in that pain and change my behavior. while i had my shield up, i avoided the pain.. thus never removing the causes of the pain, alcohol/negative thought patterns. healthy supports healthy and unhealthy supports unhealthy.. however people want to understand this life.. i choose to be sober and full of passion because one day my youth will be a memory and my present will be created from the past.

one love
Old 03-29-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My "discovery" was somewhat flipped to yours as I never saw weed as particularly harmful--it is for me. Alcohol is downright devastating once one becomes dependent.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was blinded to the destruction alcohol was causing for a long tim, sometimes it's just hard to see in the middle of addiction, until something makes us sit up and really think about things!!
Old 03-29-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It took me a while to see that my problem wasn't alcohol or pot...the problem was me.

D
Though I agree, what scares me about this line of thinking is that it leads me to the conclusion that once I fix myself I can then go back to being a casual drinker. Which is dangerous, as my many failed attempts to quit indicate.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D

Well, for me alcohol, but I agree 100%