Notices

Feeling.....

Old 03-29-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Court jester

Feeling.....

FLAT!l

Today is 2 weeks. It has been an awesome 2 weeks; no withdrawals, no cravings, changing my lifestyle routine, meetings, therapy, reading spiritual books. Feel like I'm picking up where I left off when I had decades of sobriety.

Then today, totally flat emotionally. Not happy nor overly sad. Just "BLAH". No interest in doing anything although I did pick up groceries and now have to go to Mom's to help take down ceiling fans, which I mildly resent having to do.

These first 2 weeks have been surprisinly fun and exciting, then today just not feeling it. To be expected I guess, actually I know. Been here before many years ago. Doing today what I did back then, sharing. Because I know it works!

Not even remotely close to contemplating drinking over it, no way, no how, not on my watch, never an option. Just wanted to share.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sometimes we just have an off day. I tel myself tomorrow will be better and usually it is.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think when we decide to quit drinking, we hyperfocus on everything we're feeling as a means to find a sense of balance in our "new" life. However, people who aren't alcoholics have good days, bad days, and blah "flat" days. They may not even really notice is.

I speak greatly for myself here because as I quit habits, I am so focused on how I feel as my way to gauge how I am doing. However, I read something once that has stuck with me so deeply: Non-addicts have bad days. They have good days. But mainly, they have days that are neither. They're just typical days in a typical life.

When I first quit smoking, every day in the first 2 weeks was so intense. And then one day, I woke up, had my normal morning routine, did my normal every day things. The day was quit boring. I didn't think of smoking. I didn't need to. I was now a non-smoker. There was no longer anything to notice. No cravings, no desire. My days just became regular days. Which, for me, was the goal.

Maybe today can be a rest day. A day to just relax.

And congratulations on 2 weeks!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Bmac, 2 weeks sober is just FANTASTIC, congratulations. In most endeavors a person takes there is initial success and excitement and then we reach a plateau and things flattin out. Just ride on your success because you'll become excited again and then reach another plateau and on and on and on. Before ya know it, it'll be 2 months, then 2 years and just keep thinking about the S-load of money you'll save, rootin for ya.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
These first 2 weeks have been surprisinly fun and exciting, then today just not feeling it. To be expected I guess, actually I know. Been here before many years ago. Doing today what I did back then, sharing. Because I know it works!e.
That's exactly it. Some days are just not wonderful, and that's okay. It's life. Good for you for getting two weeks sober.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There's gonna still be ups and downs even in Sobriety, that's how life goes!!

Hang in there!!
Old 03-29-2015, 12:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

2 weeks is awesome
Old 03-29-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Some days just simply 'are' and that's okay. Feeling flat sometimes is okay, too.

Sobriety, like life, seems to have its ups and downs.

Two weeks is great, Bmac; congratulations.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Be patient with your sobriety, Bmac. There is a wide range of responses when we first give ourselves the great gift of taking alcohol out of our systems. I also had a lot of the "blah" or "flat" time, in addition to tremendous fatigue. It gets better -- it does take some time, but it's worth it.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with what everyone has said. Yes, we are hyper aware of how we feel in the beginning of sobriety.

And you will have great days, flat days, and bad days. Congrats on your sobriety. And glad to know you aren't thinking about picking up again.