Notices

Glad I found you

Old 08-18-2004, 02:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by StacySun
EBG:

Good point...there are some scary liquor stores in L.A. I've been in a few too many. I guess that I need to get over the church/religious thing. I guess more of my worry is being preached to, but it doesn't appear that that occurs at meetings.

I like the 5 mintues at a time. That's going to come in handy when I get off work.
Stacy, I'm not a religious man. That's an understatement
There are many in AA like me. Like any group of people, several individuals with different approaches to life can be found at meetings. And just like society in general, many views will be represented. I've seen my fair share of preachers in the rooms. Don't make the mistake I made years ago and have them convince you that there is no other higher power than God, in the classic sense.
Simply isn't true.
And please, don't judge what Alcoholics Anonymous can do for you after just one meeting, should you decide to attend one.
Keep an open mind, above all.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Stacy,

In 6 months of AA meetings I've only experienced someone pushing religion once. It wasn't during the meeting - that wouldn't be welcome in a share. This guy was trolling for his "Christian 12 step group", and I told him that Christianity was on my resentment list (actually, I told him quite a bit more than that....). The important thing is that what he said wasn't AA, it was his own agenda - and I just moved on. I saw him at one other meeting where he did share - and I didn't hear word one about religion in that share (and he knew I was there and listening ;-).

We're all there for just one reason, so most of what you hear will be all about not drinking and how to live happily without alcohol. Anything else is noise, and we need to place principles above personalities. The only principles which count at an AA meeting are AA principles - which should not be associated with any sect or denomination.

And about that 5 minutes at a time....it's still pretty handy sometimes.

James
Old 08-18-2004, 02:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Paused

I've never been a religious person although I do believe In God. The religious aspect of AA was a concern for me, as well. I don't like someones religious views pushed on me. I've never had that become a problem so far in AA. There is alot of reference to God although. You'll have to make the adjustments within yourself to deal with it. The fact that meetings are held in churches is, there are'nt many places that are willing to offer there premises. The churches want to help those in need. There are costs and insurance factors as well. Someone may be able to clarify this or correct me if I'm wrong on the subject. There is always going to be the over zealous religous person in the crowd, just establish a boundary and explain you have your own religous beliefs or not. That's easy enough, right? Good luck and have a great first meeting. After your first meeting the fear of that unknown will be over. One last fear to deal with. Take care...

Oh and I might add, I think it's more about find spirituality within yourself. Finding your own inner peace and serenity. I know I won't be attending Sunday morning services anytime soon, but am working on finding my spirituality. How ever you perceive spirituality to be.

Talia
Old 08-18-2004, 02:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
5 MINUTES AT A TIME

getting off work....

hey stacysun,

it is the time now when i start freaking out about going home. i have an empty apartment waiting for me. it is a scary place right now. you said you have a husband. is he supportive? it can make a big difference.i found this board by accident. i have an aa sponsor who rocks....she makes me laugh...and i get along with her very well.

wait until friday. i really start freaking out. it is really ugly.

i do not know where you live, but if you are in the l.a. area there are so many meetings. i go to a late night 10pm. it is dark,and they night people are there. i am not much of a morning person. that 10pm has saved me several times....

the whole religious thing bothers me a bit. i just have my own ways of higher power. my mantra....." every day be the best person you can be, treat people the best you can, and do not accept poor treatment from anyone"

a higher power....it is there...karma....i do believe in.

let me know how you are doing.....we can hang in here together... :scared1:
Old 08-18-2004, 02:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Paused

The hand holding and reciting the Lord's prayer bothered me at first. I don't like to hold hands with strange people I don't know. Then I thought how petty. How bad do you want to remain sober? I welcome someones hand now. We all are trying to achieve the same goal. Sobriety and a better way of life.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Dan

One does not have to hold hands during the prayer.
One doesn't have to recite the prayer.
Much like one doesn't have to share at a meeting.
A lot of meetings are held in church basements because of the relatively cheap rent.
Union halls are another common location where meetings are held.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:57 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
5 MINUTES AT A TIME

Oh Yes The Hand Holding...

IT IS NOT SO BAD, in the a.a. meetings they do recite the lords prayer. you do what makes you feel comfortable. i join hands and say it. it is not so bad.

it is nice to have a strangers hand. we here in l.a. are so disconnected with our cell phones,status symbols,and starbucks(not me i am very un-hollywood)...we pass each other by.
so the hand holding, the introducing, the "fellowship" is not so bad.

just do not drink.......

that is what i keep telling myself....
Old 08-18-2004, 03:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I sent you all a long thank you and it didn't post. Damn server!

To sum it up in one sentence, all of your posts have been more than helpful, they've been quite comforting as well.

Thank you.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:24 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I know the prayer, but you have to hand hold?
Old 08-18-2004, 03:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

EBG:

You inquired about my husband's support (just in case you didn't receive that message). He doesn't know. He works out of town during the week; therefore, has no idea the extent to which I drink. I hide it. I'm afraid to even bring it up. He has issues of his own. He's a total stoner - full blown pothead. He smokes more times a day than drinks I consume. My point, I'm afraid that he won't be supportive because he may not want to face his own issues. That's part of the reason I don't want to go to AA and do it on my own, so I can continue to keep it private. This whole thing is a lot bigger than my alcoholism.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
5 MINUTES AT A TIME

it is always a whole lot bigger...

of course. so much is involved, especially being married. i wish you were in l.a.. i would take you to the dodger game with me tonight and buy you a dodger dog and smile......that is what i am doing tonight after work. thank god i found something to do after work...

anyone in l.a. want to go...i have two extra tickets...(smile)

hang stacy. you sought out this board, you have responded all day, you recognized an issue.....so at least you are open to thinknig about help...

i am on the edge as we speak....5 minutes at a time.

your husband will understand if he wants what is best for you....in a perfect world. smile....i am trying to.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:40 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by elvisbabygirl
of course. so much is involved, especially being married. i wish you were in l.a.. i would take you to the dodger game with me tonight and buy you a dodger dog and smile......that is what i am doing tonight after work. thank god i found something to do after work...

anyone in l.a. want to go...i have two extra tickets...(smile)
Hiya elvis, Codie here, and a HUGE Dodger fan. Just perusing the threads, saw this and wanted to tell you have a great time! Give my love to Paul Lo Duca please! (I went to Monday night's game just to see him, otherwise, not sure a game vs. the Fish would've been a game I would've chosen to go to!)
Old 08-18-2004, 03:46 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

You mentioned the Dodger game and the ONLY thing that came to mind was Beer!

All of my current recreational activities also include alcohol.

Wow, that's an eye opening revelation!
Old 08-18-2004, 03:54 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

You mentioned the Dodger game and the ONLY thing that came to mind was Beer!

All of my current recreational activities also include alcohol.

Wow, that's an eye opening revelation!
Stacy, I'm not an alcoholic so perhaps I shouldn't be speaking out loud. I am a Codie, in love w/an alcoholic and drug addict who has been sober and clean for almost 10 months.

Many (even us Anons) correlate beer w/sporting events. It doesn't have to be that way. One moment at a time.

I am very enlightened with your progress and your honesty...you found your way here and experienced an eye opening revelation! Congrats!
Old 08-18-2004, 04:01 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
5 MINUTES AT A TIME

hey the brew is too expensive at the stadium...

hang in there ....i am only tempted by the dodger dogs.

HAVE A GREAT EVENING STACY. you have made a big step. i am chomping at the bit like many others....lets chomp together. :cry3:

(this is how feel after work)
Old 08-18-2004, 04:06 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Paused

Let me hypnotize you Don't drink...I repeat don't drink. One minute at a time. LOL

Your right Dan, you don't have to partake in any activities if you don't feel comfortable in doing so. People are very understanding and respectful in regards to choosing to participate, share or not share. Many times I don't share or read aloud and prefer to listen instead.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:13 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'm scared to death! I'm getting off work now and probably won't have a private moment to log in again tonight.

I'm not going to drink.

I'll check back in tomorrow morning and let ya'll know how my evening was.

I have such gratitude towards everyone of you who've taken the time to post. I really feel good about this.

Have fun at the Dodger game.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:16 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Dan

Have a good evening Stacy!
Old 08-18-2004, 05:13 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Welcome StacySun

EBG:

Good point...there are some scary liquor stores in L.A. I've been in a few too many. I guess that I need to get over the church/religious thing. I guess more of my worry is being preached to, but it doesn't appear that that occurs at meetings.

I like the 5 mintues at a time. That's going to come in handy when I get off work.
I am a newcomer, like you. I would also like to suggest you log on http://www.smartrecovery.org for an alternative to AA. Also check the outpatient rehab programs in your area. Whatever works, works. I am not sober yet, but I am trying to get into an outpatient rehab, I have gone to some AA meetings, and one Smart Recovery program. Anything that will help me stop this insanity is good enough for me.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:41 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I didn't do it!

I didn't drink last night. Not a drop. But I don't feel as fabulous today as I thought. I didn't sleep well. I woke up with a horrible back ache and stomach ache. However, I didn't wake up with a hangover, which is a welcome and wonderful change. The hours between 5-7p were the hardest. I was quite irritable. I thought about drinking every single second of every minute. 5-7p was my own personal "happy hour(s)"! After 7p I calmed down and the rest of the evening went o.k. I was kinda bored though, so I know that I need to find a constructive hobby.

To all newcomers - SR and its members help tremendously. Knowing that I would log on this morning motivated me to stay away from alcohol. I thought about all of you that forwarded encouraging words last night and I didn't want those words to be in vain. I didn't drink last night, not only for me, but for all of us.

Thank you!