Notices

Glad I found you

Old 08-19-2004, 10:12 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi Stacy,

I too loved my wine. I finally gave it up on Jan. 1st of this year, which makes me about 7 months sober. I did the first 30 days by myself, and then I went into an out-patient program that mostly taught me about this disease. For me, that was so important, to understand why we are alcoholics. At first, I couldn't get enough information about it, I read everything I could get my hands on, its all really very interesting. I ended up at AA meetings, and I now know I never would have made it on my own. It is a wonderful program with wonderful people who all really just want to help you. The newcomer is the most important person in the meetings and when people find out you are a newcomer, they will bend over backwards to help you in any way they can, you see, you also help them to stay sober, it works both ways. The idea behind AA is one drunk helping another drunk stay sober and for me it has worked.

It is not a religious program, but a spiritual one. I have never been preached to, but people will talk alot about their higher power. I also have issues with "god talk" and was apprehensive, but beleive me, it is so not what you think!

I suggest you find a good womens meeting, and don't worry about the ananomity. Just get yourself in a meeting, you will be glad you did. Good luck and congratulations on making the first step!

Mimi
Old 08-19-2004, 10:12 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
knucklehead

Stacysun, I am glad you have started this thread. Have any of you read Sober for good by Anne M. fletcher. I found it to be a good read.

Good luck to all of you. Looking back on the way I lived when I was really into the pleasure and pain of drinking. I can only talk for my self here. As I live my life without the consumption of alcohol I am finding I am a very different person. Yet I am the same. I do like myself much better with out the booze though. Good night all
Old 08-19-2004, 10:15 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hi Michelle (Brattylush),
What you're trying to do is not easy. You've accomplished so much in the last couple of days. Just take it one day at at time. I think it's really cool that you're attending meetings regularly and I'm sure you've been introduced into a world that you never knew existed...a world of people trying to improve themselves spiritually, mentally, and physically while at the same time recovering from addiction. I really admire you for the fact that you're making good choices for yourself. My prayers are with you as you continue your journey to recovery. :heart:
Old 08-20-2004, 02:00 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
5 MINUTES AT A TIME

stacysun.....where are you...

hey are you out there???? i hope you are doing well.....it is freak out friday for me....i do not want to feel another weekend, but i have to......i just want to know how you are....
Old 08-20-2004, 02:05 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hey EBG, how was the Dodgers game the other night? I am going out to dinner in a few minutes. First social thing I will be doing since I stopped drinking. No wine, no beer. Oh well. I have been sleeping like a baby and no way am I going to start over again. I hope your Friday night is okay. I'm a Red Sox fan so I want to get home early so I can catch the game. Take it easy.

Love,
Nancy
Old 08-20-2004, 02:13 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
5 MINUTES AT A TIME

dodgers....oh my dodgers...

had a great time. two nights in a row we lost the games in the 9th inning....they need to let GAGNE rest . they use him too much. we will pull it out....saturday my favorite pitcher in the world jeff weaver is pitching. he is such a psycho....i love him. i like the red sox too!!!

yes freak out friday mode....i hate it. i want to numb it out until monday morning...but i just can't imagine going through the shakey withdrawals again......38 days sober....oh god...let me make it through this night...sat. night....

thank you so much...i hope stacysun is out there and okay!!

you will do fine..enjoy being social....i can;t wait to get out ther again...i want to be normal again....
Old 08-20-2004, 05:45 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
knucklehead

elvisbabygirl, you have what it takes to get through weekend. A day at a time chicky. Hey maybe friday/saterday/sunday will turn out better then you think. I hope so. Stay close to SR. It is like a good multivitiman. Great work on getting 38 days. A day at a time, keep your goal in front of you. Today is friday get today, then worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

Last edited by kckman; 08-20-2004 at 05:53 PM. Reason: oops
Old 08-23-2004, 09:07 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi

Hi everyone! Well, I did it... my first weekend in SEVERAL years, that I did not drink, I even went on a mini vacation. I dreamt about drinking (have had several dreams actually)...but didn't wake up with a hangover. I enjoyed an entire weekend without alcohol (I think I'm still in shock). I mainly concentrated on how good my body was feeling and my mind....I was actually enjoying sights, smells, tastes (other than liquor or wine), even sounds. I also kept all of you from this website in mind and in heart, thank you. This is the first 'vacation' I have ever been on that I can remember ALL of it. Now, last night on the way home, I started getting anxious... tried to start an argument with the person I was with to give me a reason to drink. I just stopped and thought really hard about what I had accomplished and I was not going to ruin that by starting a Sunday night drunk. Tonight @ 5 will be one week for me. I have stopped drinking before, but it was always for the wrong reasons, it was because I had embarrassed myself or someone I was with and I would tell myself that I wouldn't drink anymore, I lasted almost 2 weeks ONCE.. and then I drank with a vengence. This time it is so different, because: I want this, I want to be better. I'm tired of hurting people I love and I'm tired of hurting me. Just wanted to share.. I've never been on any kind of site where I post stuff, so I'm a little illiterate, got some studying to do. Again, Thank you all and StacySun, hope you're doing well...
Old 08-23-2004, 10:10 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Thank you all for checking up on me and sending the kind words and thoughts. I'm here and I'm sober. I haven't had a drink. I've missed you all. I haven't been at work and have been unable to log on from home (don't know why). But needless to say, I've been here reading all the posts and sending good vibes.

Congratulations brattylush on making it through the weekend. This was my first, and at times, quite difficult. I had to do spontanious house cleaning to keep my mind off alcohol. It worked and my house is clean!

I really missed corresponding this past weekend. Friday night I really wanted to chat, but just knowing you all were here and being able to read the posts helped me get through.

Finding this site and corresponding openly is the second best thing that I've done lately. The first was quitting drinking. Thank you all for your help.

Have a good day!
Old 08-23-2004, 10:15 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Red face congradulations !

On your first sober weekend , that is great ! Have you thought about attending AA at all ? You dont haveto do it alone we all struggle . I have found the support and frienships I have made in AA very helpful in staying sober. Take care and heres to another sober day ! Prayers ^ Trish
Old 08-23-2004, 11:27 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
5 MINUTES AT A TIME

glad we all had a safe weekend.....alcohol free

hey stacysun and tenzin we did it....

five minutes at time....

fresh fish tacos without corona??? :scared1: tough stuff....drink ice tea....

i went to one of my old haunts last night to see a friend off (moving out of state). i drank club soda with every lime they had in the joint and drank coffee with choc syrup and whipped cream...wow....what a change for me.
all of my old "pals" all wondered what happened,wheres your guy?,etc.etc." that was tough....all the questions. i just smiled and told them that "my guy" has a lot to work through with his alcohol situation and that i needed to look out for my own health. how sad.....i need to stay out of that place. it triggers too many memories for me.....

upward and onward....

when getting sober and having a broken heart has anyone had a hard time focusing on cleaning the house, doing the laundry,grocery shopping,doing their job effectively,and just being still.......i am having a very hard time....being in my skin... :bluesky: .

any thoughts........