Notices

What Did I Do??

Old 03-22-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Did I Do??

Yep. I relapsed. And...can't remember much about yesterday. This morning, I woke up and got on the computer quickly (still drunk)...to see what I might have said, who I might have offended. Definitely made myself look like an ass, in certain venues...

God, I hate this....I am making gains toward sobriety, but still struggling....

I feel like I am just whining about it...at the same time, I feel like most of us have been there...
Old 03-22-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((AlladinSane)))); oh, the panic of the morning after.

Have you thought about what happened/identified the hole in your plan and thought about ways to shore it up?
Old 03-22-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Court jester

What was your thought process last night before you chose to do a little research?
Old 03-22-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
(((AlladinSane)))); oh, the panic of the morning after.

Have you thought about what happened/identified the hole in your plan and thought about ways to shore it up?
I have been thinking...I can stay sober during the week...but all goes to hell on the weekends. My weekday plan is simply staying occupied at work.

Why am I throwing my weekday plan away, on the weekends? I need to find something that forces me to be occupied and focused....like I am during the week.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
What was your thought process last night before you chose to do a little research?
I felt great! Physically, and looking at my future...all was well. This is a first time (recently) that I can say...I just wanted to drink...to feel "high".
Old 03-22-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What was the lead-up to this round of drinking?

Were you upset? Were you lonely? Was it something else? Whatever the reason for your drinking, if it were me I'd be looking for ways to prevent that from happening.

Do you want to quit drinking? Are you willing to do whatever it takes to make that happen?
Old 03-22-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hear you; weekends can be especially problematic - old habits and all of that. Have you considered volunteering during the most triggering hours - food kitchen, nursing home?
Old 03-22-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
What was the lead-up to this round of drinking?

Were you upset? Were you lonely? Was it something else? Whatever the reason for your drinking, if it were me I'd be looking for ways to prevent that from happening.

Do you want to quit drinking? Are you willing to do whatever it takes to make that happen?
I have another thread on this. I went into detox...went 40+ days without drinking. Over the last month, it has been only on the weekends.

When I am recovering from these weekends, I say "I am going to stop"...but then, when I feel good about myself, and weekday abstinence, I drink again.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
I hear you; weekends can be especially problematic - old habits and all of that. Have you considered volunteering during the most triggering hours - food kitchen, nursing home?
That is a really good idea.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Filing your weekend with activities you have to be accountable for is a good start. One of mine is volunteering most Saturday eves at my church...if I were to start drinking I'd never make it there!
Old 03-22-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

We have a local place that needs volunteers. I love to cook...maybe I could do that for them. I'd even love to spend my own money, to cook meals for those in need!
Old 03-22-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AladdinSane View Post
We have a local place that needs volunteers. I love to cook...maybe I could do that for them. I'd even love to spend my own money, to cook meals for those in need!
Sounds like a great idea, AladdinSane!!!!!
Old 03-22-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have never been one to volunteer (had to do it once, court-ordered). But maybe this could be a very good thing...

I think that part of addiction is selfish behavior...I have felt that shame before, many times.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There is something about volunteering that is therapeutic and cleansing - in helping others, we seem to find a way 'out of ourselves' and a change of perspective.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up, learn from it and keep moving forward!!