Notices

Hello SB World, 10 days after

Old 03-18-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello SB World, 10 days after

Hello SB world, I registered a couple of days ago but I have been reading the forum for a while.
I have been off for 10 days after a couple of years (less than 4) of I am not sure what and how to describe drinking.
I am not even sure if I was a heavy drinker or something more.
I never woke up and wanted to drink. It starts around after 7pm where I grab a bottle of prosecco. I don't care for anything else, but bubbles. And sometimes more than a bottle.
Back in the day I only drank scotch/whiskey within limits. Then one day I started with white wine, moved to Reisling and then discovered bubbles. I have zero desire for anything else.
Other than not showing up a couple of times to some early morning events because I would drink late and want to sleep till 2pm, I have not hit a low low... I never had a bad diet, but bubbles definitely had me eat more...
But I woke up one day with a red face and had experienced for a while some night sweats and skin itching.
The situation today is - significant weight gain (I look pregnant), a little red face, skin itching is horrible, night sweats, eczema on my eye lids, a little puffy face, pain and itching in my breasts (could be not related). I never slept good so am not attributing lack of good sleep to this...
I know the topics have been discussed, but... how much longer will all the symptoms persist? I know they are not as serious as what others are experiencing, but still...
Went once to a female only AA meeting and met some nice ladies, but ultimately decided it was not for me. Plus, I really had no shaking and wake up wanting alcohol thoughts every morning. It may be an excuse, but it was my personal conclusion that I came to.
So... how long of a red face, itchy skin and night sweats?
Also, has anyone ever kept it social like a weekend drink and then off or it is on and off and I better keep it off?
Thanks to everyone in this forum.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome justbrowsing
Old 03-19-2015, 12:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

10 days is great but it is early days

The further from the last drink you get the better you'll feel , bearing in mind sometimes drink covers over a lot of "stuff" and we find we notice other things not quite right with ourselves once we're sober .

I'd go get checked by a Dr as it would help me not worry over the symptoms ..

welcome to SR ,

m
Old 03-19-2015, 02:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Just,
I think you'll find that if you try to drink socially on the weekend you'll just end up back where you were. For most people, it just doesn't work. Hang in there. It gets better quickly.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome JB. keep up the good work. just like mecanix and goose said you will feel better and better the further you get from that last drink.

i've tried to moderate my drinking many times. the weekend only routine turned back into daily drinking in no time.

stay strong, it's all worth it.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi just browsing

A warm welcome.

I am very new here too. For me, I have 'successfully' kept to 1 night a week or even every 2 weeks for quite a while now.

HOWEVER....I have usually drunk (much) more than I planned on those nights. I have often had several days of hangover related symptoms (including some of those you describe) and in the end I have decided to simplify my life.

The energy and effort I need to put in to making decisions about when, where and how much to drink is immense - and often futile. Though it is very early days for me, I have decided to just step out of all that decision making and complexity.

I might stuff up - but I know where I want to be.

My pattern of abstinence and binge has taught me that I tend to start feeling health benefits after about 3 weeks sobriety. Skin gets better, gut works nicely, diet settles down, improved energy and all that. I feel so great, I usually celebrate with a big night out and a (skinful of) beer! Then I feel lousy again, eat badly for a few days, look ill again - all after one good binge. Well not this time!!!!!!!!! :-)

Best of luck to you, keep at it and drink plenty of water too

CC
Old 03-19-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Justbrowsing!!
Old 03-19-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Old 03-21-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. Thank you all. You are amazing. I am learning while reading. Feeling positive and good. 2 weeks tomorrow!
Old 03-22-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

fantastic - well done!