Notices

Myriad Questions

Old 03-14-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Myriad Questions

I have quit drinking. It has been 42 hours since my last drink.

My drinking had been getting out of hand, I only started drinking for the very first time 8 years ago and it was fun, but recently it's gotten worse. I am in a high stress job, with lots of stress at home as well. I don't and haven't messed with any other drugs. Recently, I started noticing that as soon as my duties were done I was craving only one thing, a drink. I would rush home and the first thing I would do is pour a drink. I started avoiding going out with friends, to get to that first drink. I would get irritated in traffic if it was preventing me from my first drink. I started planning my routes and would have anxiety if there were an accident on the way. Or I was forced to work late. Things that had never bothered me before. I was now planning to make sure I had alcohol at home. On Thursday I plowed through almost a fifth of jack and had to stop myself. Friday I had a good long think about it and decided that drinking had become work. And it was no longer enjoyable. It was taking half the day to pass the effects, concentration was hard, I wouldn't hardly eat during the day and then have one big meal at night. So I quit.

I quit smoking in much the same way years ago, just got tired of it and set it down. I don't know if I'll have the same success with alcohol, but I've left the bottle on the counter and use it as motivation. Am I in control or is it. It won't stay on the counter, but as motivation for the weekend I have left it there. I have not touched it. Though as I sit here typing, I am craving a drink. Probably because whenever I was typing emails late I had one sitting next to me.

I've been researching detoxing, though I haven't had too many symptoms, I did have a pretty good headache today (and I never suffer from headaches, even with a hangover), I am achy, I'm super hungry. But I've also noticed that the fog in my head is still hanging around. I can't find much on that. I'm also thinking about changing up my diet to include those wonderful foods that naturally benefit the body. I am not a person who will pop a pill or take a supplement. Even though I was down to 1 meal a day, it was healthy. So any advice? Comments?
Old 03-14-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Chris its nice to meet you
Old 03-14-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Chris! Glad your with us! It's awesome your wanting to go healthier with your diet!
Old 03-14-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I'm glad you're doing well. Keep in mind that it's best to talk to a dr before detoxing from alcohol because it can be dangerous. And, the brain-fog is normal.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck xx
Old 03-14-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Excellent decision! The fog will lift. Wish I could say when but it does--everyone is different. I was hungry for nearly a month after quitting so I ate. I slept well after the first coupla days (my insomnia was while drinking). Feeling better can have a down side in that we question whether it was really THAT bad. It is and will progress. Take it from someone who re-tried many times--I never regained the ability to drink like normal folk. Stick around--we're just a bunch of quitters that won't give up.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcomes!

I got out of the house tonight and went grocery shopping. In my reading on this subject it seems to be good to have other activities. So I started thinking about making some good food tonight, rather than passing the time with JD. It may not be healthy, but I picked up a 12 pack of Mountain Dew, something I haven't had in years as my drink of choice when I got home, or went anywhere was JD. That Mountain Dew is so refreshing as I sit here typing.

I think I'll plant the garden tomorrow. Once again, something I haven't done in years. I enjoy reading all of your posts and replies. I'm a stubborn person and in general when I decide something not much stands in my way. But I think I'll hang out here and keep reading, I have a thirst for knowledge as well as the drink.

I think the most interesting test of my resolve will be going into work on Monday. I never had a problem going in, it's the end of the day and the knowledge that JD was waiting for me. So it'll be interesting, to say the least.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Welcome Chris, SR is a wonderful place and good luck!!
Old 03-14-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good job and stick with it. First time I quit I went back and found that it progressed and was harder to stop. This time I'm going to make it stick.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Chris! You've made a great decision. Talking here with others who understand will help as you adjust to your new way of life. Distracting yourself with the gardening & other things is a wise idea. It's best to keep busy in the early days. You sound motivated and determined - glad to have you with us.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all!

So after delving into the wealth of experiences on this site, I'm a little freaked out! Should I not have quit? (without my doctor being involved) I'm not suffering like some of the stuff I've seen, but apparently this stuff can just rear its ugly head?