Notices

AA Poll

Old 03-13-2015, 11:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I attend AA regularly. Go there and work the steps with a sponsor and you will start your recovery.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Do YOU need to go to AA ?
Idk.

Do I?
No. But I do. The reframe gave me life and it's part of my duty to carry the message to the next suffering alcoholic.
Been sober and going since 4/23/05
Not sure what the role playing is. Never saw it. Never once had to join in saying hi. Never once was forced to say " I'm Tom I'm an alcoholic." never once forced to say thanks. Or join in the prayer.
But I do it anyways.

There's nothing yu need to do. You can keep on drinking if you want.
But if ya want to get and stay sober yer gonna have to gt into action and change.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Yup I attend AA whenever I can and find it very rewarding. I been sober a while and go to pay my debt to the man that 12 stepped me.

Do you need to Aa? My book says that whether you can recover on a non spritual basis will depend on the extent to which you have already lost the power to choose whether you will drink or not.

Only you know that answer to that.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

NO. You may want to peruse every inch of this site and use what EVERYBODY has to offer.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I need to stay sober period and practice a program of recovery that addresses systemic, psychological, social, and spiritual change.

For me a found a solution in AA but I am me and you are you. Whatever path you take, look to people with long term sobriety, that have what you want, and do what they do

I will say time and time again the things I resisted the strongest were the things I most needed to do
Old 03-14-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post

You may want to peruse every inch of this site and use what EVERYBODY has to offer.
Interesting because, if we use everything that everyone has to offer here on site, seems that AA would also be included ?

I could never do everything that others in Recovery do, although I do get some very good ideas from some.

MM
Old 03-14-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to go to meetings but not anymore. I've been sober over five years now so it's possible to stay sober without AA. I had an addiction counselor and came to SR daily for strength and support.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody.
Just to clarify, I am sober albeit in the early stages (three weeks). I have no intention of ever drinking again.
I guess I was basically asking if there is anybody else out there who didn't like AA, who has benn successful. Everybody keeps telling me to go to as many AA meetings as possible, but I don't feel the need.
I don't want to ever mess my sobriety up, so was curious if there is anybody else like me out there. I've tried AA and didn't enjoy it one bit.

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi.
I’ve been active in AA many years without drinking, for me it’s like graduate work where I’m continuing to learn about my alcoholism.
It was commonly said years ago to go to 90 meetings with an open mind and make your decision then when the brain has a chance to clear up a bit.
AA has a 2 way door and if you wish your misery is refundable. It’s that simple.

I still go to meetings because I choose to.

BE WELL
Old 03-14-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Used to many years ago. Found alternative support methods. Suits and helps many though.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Have I been? Yes.

Do I go now? No.

Is it for me? No.

Is it for you? Up to you.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

AV is on the list, right near the top and it's always been there.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
I get a lot out of the AA meetings I go to. I think a lot of people get so focused on the things they don't like about AA that they lose sight of what they can gain from the meetings.
^^^I like this!

I've attended about 12 meetings in my 13 days of Sobriety. Trying to get my 90 in 90 done without realizing I was. I'm not religious, although I am spiritual, and that part doesn't bother me. I simply think about my spirituality when they are discussing religion or praying.

I also feel a lot time is wasted in the beginning of meetings with the reading of the all the literature but I've just assumed that was to remind us all why we are all there...new, old, returning alcoholics.

There are so many different kinds of meetings and in my short 13 days of sobriety I've been to ones I didn't really enjoy. I am amazed at the stories I hear. I feel surrounded by people who, for the most part, I have much in common with. It's similar to the feeling I get when reading and posting here on SR!
Old 03-14-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
AV is on the list, right near the top and it's always been there.
Thanks Anna. Went back and saw it.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Crasfd View Post
Thanks everybody.
Just to clarify, I am sober albeit in the early stages (three weeks). I have no intention of ever drinking again.
I guess I was basically asking if there is anybody else out there who didn't like AA, who has benn successful. Everybody keeps telling me to go to as many AA meetings as possible, but I don't feel the need.
I don't want to ever mess my sobriety up, so was curious if there is anybody else like me out there. I've tried AA and didn't enjoy it one bit.

Thanks.
I don't know why we tell people to go to as many meetings as possible. The program doesn't say you will recover by attending x number of meetings, it says that you can recover by taking the steps and having a spiritual awakening. That's what AA is, not hundreds of meetings.

I have sponsored people who due to their life circumstances were not able to do much more than one or two meetings a week. They took the steps and recovered just the same. It was a delight to watch.

As far as enjoying AA, what do you think it is, a social club? Mate, it's a program to save your life. If you were to enjoy it you'd be doing it wrong.

My late wife didn't enjoy the chemotherapy. Neither did I, it was the most dreadful thing to watch a loved one go through. But she did it because it would give her a little more time with us, which was all that we could hope for. In your case what is on offer is a full and happy life like you never even dreamed of. Does it really make sense to chuck that away because the process to get you there is not enjoyable?
Old 03-14-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Grateful

Yes

Sobriety date: April 17, 2013

No one here can tell you if you need to go to AA, or even if you are an alcoholic. I would say the majority of members here would tell you that whatever works to keep you sober is what you should do. Since staying sober is a life and death issue for me I always try to keep an open mind about different recovery tools that may help me.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

A last reminder:

The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice. (Support and experience only please.)