Notices

AA Poll

Old 03-13-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA Poll

Evening all,

Following a bit of a debate on AA in another thread, I'd like to ask you all simply if you attend / attended AA. Simply reply with a yes or no please.
I'm in the very early stages of sobriety and I feel great. I have been to AA and hated it. I don't like the structure, the role play greatings when everybody has to say hi before somebody talks, and thanks when they've finished talking, (I.e 20 people taking it in turns to individually thanks the talker). Finally, I didn't like the prayers.
I'd be very interested to hear from any long timers who felt the same as me.

Do I need to go to AA??

Thanks everybody.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do I need to go to AA??

Only you can answer this question.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

OK I'll go along with the question/one word answer

do I attend AA? No

Should you? ?

But I'm only 74 days sober
Old 03-13-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice. (Support and experience only please.)
Old 03-13-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovered

Yes.

Sobriety date: 6.1.09
Old 03-13-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

you sure about that saoutchik?
Old 03-13-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yes, but your poll is flawed, even if I went to AA once I would have to answer yes...
Old 03-13-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You should do whatever it takes to stay sober.

You should also be aware that no matter what method you choose, there are going to be things you'll need to do that you don't like or that you don't want to do. Addiction hates being told that it is wrong.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovered

I misread. I thought it asked me if *I* went to AA.

Do YOU need to go to AA?? How the hell should I know?!?!
Old 03-13-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No
Old 03-13-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Craft AA isn't for everyone hon!! I decided to go to AA, cause it helps me to face my social anxiety and keeps me sober. When I use too drink I didn't think I had a social problem until I stopped. I was only hiding my problems with alcohol and not get any help.

If you are curious it wont hurt to try to go to one. The first time I went was overwhelming but I choose to keep going and I meet a lot of nice people there that has the same problems like I did.

Its your choice not to go or to go though, all we can do here is to support you if you do or not!!

Good luck!!
Old 03-13-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I get a lot out of the AA meetings I go to. I think a lot of people get so focused on the things they don't like about AA that they lose sight of what they can gain from the meetings. There was a lot of talk this week about how praying has helped people and having a spiritual connection has made a difference. Now, I am not a religious person at all, but still got a lot out of those meetings. I don't drop to my knees and pray. I don't pray at all, but that's okay. I live a spiritual life, don't have to pray about it, but that's just me. IMHO, any drunk would benefit from those meetings, listening to others' stories and gaining strength from them. I don't buy into everything about AA, but I have gained a lot from the meetings. John
Old 03-13-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry, I can't do a one word reply.

AA isn't for me. I tried three times. But I strongly feel that anyone attempting recovery ought to give it fair shot. A month or two of meetings to see if it is for you.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
AA member

Tried sobriety on my own and lasted 3 years.

Over 11 years sober now with AA.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Truly don't need AA to stay sober today but, I have been going to AA meetings since I sobered up in 2007. There is a connection there for me, if nothing else sharing my experience strength and hopes with an occasional new comer.

Many there also remind me of the struggle in the beginning of my sobriety. I wish to never forget that.

Mountainman
Old 03-13-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The recently deceased Terry Pratchett said, regarding his Alzheimers disease:

"I'd eat the arse out of a dead mole if it offered a fighting chance of working"

AA, or rather the people in AA, helped me get through today!
Old 03-13-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Crasfd View Post
Evening all,

Following a bit of a debate on AA in another thread, I'd like to ask you all simply if you attend / attended AA. Simply reply with a yes or no please.
I'm in the very early stages of sobriety and I feel great. I have been to AA and hated it. I don't like the structure, the role play greatings when everybody has to say hi before somebody talks, and thanks when they've finished talking, (I.e 20 people taking it in turns to individually thanks the talker). Finally, I didn't like the prayers.
I'd be very interested to hear from any long timers who felt the same as me.

Do I need to go to AA??

Thanks everybody.

You do not!

It really was never important for me to ask others what is important in my sober journey. What is important is how we each stay sober and grow emotionally mature in sobriety.

Keep coming back
Old 03-13-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You don't NEED to do anything. AA is not a punishment or a cult. It's a group of people who have or are trying to get sober and stay sober. The people in the meetings that I go to are extremely happy people who are sober and have completely changed their lives. Some of the nicest people I've ever known.

The 12 steps are a way of life. One thing I have realized recently is AA was just fine with out ME for the past 15 months during my relapse. (Although I know many people were worried about me & said they missed me) I was the one that WASNT fine.

My stats:
*Drank alcoholically from 1999-2008 and tried to get sober WITHOUT AA. FAIL!!!
*Started AA in 2008, got a sponsor and worked the steps and stayed sober until 2013...5.5 years. (I relapsed because I STOPPED going to AA and forgot "what" I was.)
*I have tried to get and stay sober for the past 15 months without AA & CONSTANTLY DEBATED the method by which to get sober. FAIL!
*Started back to AA recently....I'm still sober...why re-invent the wheel?

AA works for millions of people but I'm sure there are other ways that millions of other people use to stay sober (other than AA)....I just don't personally know what those other ways are...other than SR & RR. SR is a great "tool" for me but is not my primary recovery program.

I think everyone's recovery program is unique to themselves. "Just don't knock it til you try it." I like to give everything a solid try before I give up on it. :-)

My 2 cents! Not worth much! Lol
Old 03-13-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Attend No, Attended yes.

Do you need to???? That's your call.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Yes I go to AA and I am a very satisfied customer
If you are posting on SR, you probably have a serious drinking problem so a better question to ask yourself would be:
Am I willing to give recovery 100% and do whatever it takes without reservation?
Whatever it takes might or might not include AA. There are many tools at your disposal to maintain abstinence and there are also pitfalls to avoid.
Whether you decide to go or not to go to AA is up to you.