Notices

Yes You Can! Sober Weekender Thread March 13-15

Old 03-15-2015, 01:58 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

That's what I am making in the AM - when I wake up. Gordon Ramsay has a great video for Eggs Benedict. He always makes it look so easy. Thanks for the note; chin up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p1mGDiEbni4
Old 03-15-2015, 01:59 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Pouncer,

First off congrats on the progress. I think however someone gets sober and then works hard at relearning to live soberly is the best thing that can happen to any one person. It's a rebirth on every level once we make that happen. And you have made a good start from what I can tell.

Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
I have made amazing progress this week and I am not going let you or anyone else take that away from me.
Let's be very clear.... NO ONE here is trying to take anything away. You are in the newcomers but you are also on a public forum and that alone invites multiple ways of thinking....

Originally Posted by Dave42001 View Post
The tapering deal is a hoax,... Pour that poison down the toilet...
Let me share something with you... when I first joined back in April 2012 I was ready to pack it all in. Every last nerve I had was worn out and I read and re-read every word anyone put on the screen in my direction.

It is simply not possible to post on an open forum with thousands of users that, by it's very nature, elicits responses for help and only expect or desire a single way of thinking.

If there are a thousand people you will get a thousand different ways to do something.

So... You said you have one unit left!!! Yeah! That's awesome. When is the taper due to end and how can we support you as you move into abstinence from all drinking?

Stay strong!!!!

Old 03-15-2015, 02:00 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
That's what I am making in the AM - when I wake up. Gordon Ramsay has a great video for Eggs Benedict. He always makes it look so easy. Thanks for the note; chin up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p1mGDiEbni4
Gordon is cool when you get past that hard ass exterior. He is a great chef!
Old 03-15-2015, 02:06 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Morning all. And happy mothers day or Mothering Sunday if you mark it in your part of the world - do something nice for yourself today, it is the most difficult job on the planet.

Pouncer, I hope you are well and getting through this difficult time. I'm still a newbie in sobriety. Looking back, one of the things that has helped me so far is my tendency to worry and plan. I have used this trait to negotiate the myriad risky situations thusfar. I'm trying to use all of my internal and external resources to battle that part of me that seeks intoxication. I admire your assertiveness, I wish I was more like that!

Right more coffee for me.

B
Old 03-15-2015, 02:20 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

OK everyone... a Sober Sunday Funday!!!!

I think we have enough new people to ask this question again... How did you choose you screen name and why?

Weasel, while being a cute and adorable small woodland creature, was a nick name given to me by a love back in 1993 and it has stuck since. It started as a term of endearment... Weaselman and eventually shortened to just Weasel.

LOL I can be very weasely looking at times and I tend to get my way and/or worm my way into things. Not in a bad way but hopefully a good way!!

You? I think it was Trees screen name that made me want to ask again.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Hey LB... apparently the main Brain is in ... Maine!!!

Old 03-15-2015, 03:05 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Pouncer i've seen people try tapering and succeed , i've also seen them self destruct near the end when the time to quit has come … What we tend to refer to as the AV has a field day and plays our emotions to a crescendo .
Tapering can also prolong the agony of quitting as it is not sobriety .

I'm not a Dr and have got no idea of what is a sensible thing to do when quitting but i do know people and things in the future when your not drinking will upset you , you sound really punchy and that can help a lot to power you through, just don't let it consume you or back you away into isolation . So keep on .. keep on .. let nothing de-rail you now .

Hey y'all ,

off to "sunny" blackpool later , a bit of a long drive, need to sort out paperwork and clothes before hand, been having a procrastination weekend , here i am posting on SR still not getting my stuff together … so @ 11 o'clock and i'll get myself into that shower and make a start .

I hope anyone who failed last night gets back in the saddle today ,, the best time to quit is yesterday the second best today

keep on everyone

m
Old 03-15-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well pointed out Behan (Mothers Day in GB/Ireland)

Have a great day all you mums ou there
Old 03-15-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
Pouncer i've seen people try tapering and succeed , i've also seen them self destruct near the end when the time to quit has come … What we tend to refer to as the AV has a field day and plays our emotions to a crescendo .
Tapering can also prolong the agony of quitting as it is not sobriety .

I'm not a Dr and have got no idea of what is a sensible thing to do when quitting but i do know people and things in the future when your not drinking will upset you , you sound really punchy and that can help a lot to power you through, just don't let it consume you or back you away into isolation . So keep on .. keep on .. let nothing de-rail you
Thanks, I know you speak from concern, I really do. I am new to this site, but definitely not new to recovery. I have been doing AVRT for years and am very familiar with the addictive voice. Every time I half relapsed after a period of sobriety, I have always tapered to detox with success. It has always been hard, but not once have I went over my taper schedule. In fact, I am two days ahead of my taper schedule. How would you judge success of a method? Shouldn't it be the outcome?

I am well aware there are many people here who have not successfully tapered or who may be in a challenging moment, so I sincerely and truly apologize if I have triggered anyone here by checkling in with my units. I am sorry.

I actually surprised myself with my assertiveness. Most of the time I shrink away and stew about it; which is a major reason I drink to begin with. The thing is, I felt upset when he (?) made the comment about 'drinking cheap beer all week.' His post could have been more tactful and it was hurtful, because I was most definitely in the throes of detox and not intoxicated, or even buzzed. I was sweaty, shaky, dizzy, etc. this week. I feel much better now and somewhat back to normal.

Getting sober and staying sober is the most important thing in my life right now. I want to feel accomplished when I start Day 1 on Monday and feel positive about moving to the next step. I don't want to feel like I cheated. That was me protecting my sobriety when I "pounced." I almost felt as if I was being lectured as if I were some sort of MM disciple.

My trouble is always staying abstinent. I signed up here because I will need a lot of constant help and support to stay abstinent permanently. That takes constant maintenance on my part: the checking during the taper and registering on this site was part of my Big Plan.

I have been lurking here for years, reading lots of posts -- and I am very aware there is a strong AA/12-step approach -- which is great, if it works for you.

Thank you for approaching this issue sensitively and thoughtfully in you post. I promise not to use a bold font, underline, all-caps or italicize another post again.

:-)
Old 03-15-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

My username is that of a character I played in a play in high school.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

good morning... cloudy and windy here in my little part of the world...

it's above freezing again, warmest week in many months...

Old 03-15-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

no cool story how I got my name, I swapped a couple letters - spelling doesn't count in screen names

Now Pouncer, I can see why you chose that name. If you are going to express thoughts on here, be ready for at least one person who will 'voice' a differing opinion.
No need to pounce on them. So at the risk of being pounced on myself, is it your intention to quit for good this time?
Old 03-15-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

My mom's name is Danielle and my grandma's was Stella...other than my kids probably the only other 2 who have lived me unconditionally.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

bags packed , certificates checked , book type document that sometimes gets stamped at customs/immigration for ID ( the north aint that far ! ) hmm now is the time to PANIC errrrrrkkkkk !!!!

More coffee ? less coffee ? something to eat ? more pants ? another shirt ? which trousers ? toothbrush ? grooming products ?

Deep breaths … hmmm
Old 03-15-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Stand

Yo Pouncer ~

Hey, I like the occasional bold Font! Reminds me of this Fellow long ago in a Chat Room who could type fast as I do, but would crack us all up with his 'Tourette's' Typing. Something like 'Hey, this Tapering Technique is going very well YOUR COMB OVER TOUPEE LOOKS IDIOTIC YOU MICROCEPHALIC SOB and I've only got 1 Unit left for today TOO BAD YO MAMA DIDN'T HAVE ANY INTELLIGENT SPAWN', and so on. Mebbe you had to be there, and in that Chat Group, but it was extremely funny. And, he was quite accomplished at it. No Tourette's 'dis intended, obviously.

My 'almost no forethought' User Name is based on: 1. My Gender, and 2. Living on a Colorado Mesa that we own outright. Made possible, in part, by Serendipity. To wit: I snatched up an entire mis-Order of Arts & Crafts, Super-Insulated Windows & Doors; available when some massive House Project was cancelled. I think someone suddenly lost their 6-Figure $$ Job. I got >$28k of Windows & Doors for $7.5k. I designed our Solar House details around them using a ~$25- Software Package from 'Sam's Club'. Still got some spares out in my Shed for some future Project. A Pot Greenhouse for Da Jockette Wife, perhaps, since she tokes some in this legalized State in order to moderate occasional pain from simultaneous Knee Replacements.-) I don't care one bit. With her Drinking Partner's Retirement - that would be me - she's turned into a virtual 'Normie'. My Sobriety Motto: 'Stick a Fork in my Azz - I'm done', as a Female Boss used to tell me.

I don't have any grand Words Of Wisdom, Pouncer. Wish I did. 42 years of increasingly-hard Drinkin' & Druggin' satiated me. Another 'advantage' was relative Old Age. Been there. Taken/drank that. I gave trying to kill myself slowly my usual 110% effort. Now, it's time to put that same 110% effort into living, and doing right by People.

I hope our aggregate incisive Wit and Wisdom here helps you through the rough patches. In any case, we're at least good for New Music and Recipes. Especially if they include Bacon.

Me, I think Dogs got it all figgered out. Here's our Goldie yesterday at the Dog Park with a new Goldie Pup that an older Gent brought in. Run around. Play. Pee. Bark some. Get along. Plop down in the shade. Come Home. Eat. Snooze. Rinse and repeat. What's not to like?

This Tune popped into my Head from reading here this morning. For all 'you' Noobs soldiering on through the early Daze. We absolutely admire you!

'Stand' ~ R.E.M.

-----

-----
Old 03-15-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Weekenders
Old 03-15-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

I agree, STAND!

Old 03-15-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Yo Pouncer ~

Me, I think Dogs got it all figgered out. Here's our Goldie yesterday at the Dog Park with a new Goldie Pup that an older Gent brought in. Run around. Play. Pee. Bark some. Get along. Plop down in the shade. Come Home. Eat. Snooze. Rinse and repeat. What's not to like?

-----
So true
Old 03-15-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Love love love goldens!
Old 03-15-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Good morning all!

Pouncer, it sounds to me like you've got a good handle on getting off alcohol (what works for you), and you're almost there! So, if the past relapses happened after a period of sobriety, what do you think went wrong? What triggered you to start drinking again, and what's the plan to not have a repeat?

Regarding screen names, Jerri is a short nick for Rose of Jericho, sometimes called the resurrection plant. It will shrivel up into a dry ball and blow around the desert like a tumbleweed, but just add a little bit of water and it blooms. I admire it for it's resilience. The 11 is for the month and day that I quit drinking, November 11th.