Notices

Class of March 2015 Part 2

Old 03-21-2015, 12:50 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  
AKA Supersonic

Morning all

Had a wobble last night but the cap stayed on. Going to have to think about doing someone else on a Friday evening. Got home, feet up, Simpsons on, something was missing... Need to change my routine.

Glad you came back and posted Jeni.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:52 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds like a good idea Stu

D
Old 03-21-2015, 01:36 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Hi day9. Aching everywhere but a Clear head so that's nice

Jeni Well done for posting and being honest. It would be so easy to let things slide.. I try to think about Just get back on bicycle. You don't have to go back to the start line..
Old 03-21-2015, 01:37 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
And being honest and sharing brings it's own kind of relief and freedom somehow.

So here it is....March 21st...my day 1. I don't ever want to wake up feeling this anguish again. Thanks Dee xxx
Glad you are back! Honesty and fear both play a huge role in getting sober.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:07 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Good morning all. A whole week has gone by - seven days - since I quit! Last night was not however a good one, I think because I had some spicy food at around 8.30 which resulted in a night of constant and unpleasant dreaming. I suppose that can happen whether one is at this stage or not - though my sleeping has not returned fully to normal yet.

Not complaining though!

Getting started on day one was really hard on this ocassaion. It took me the best part of a month to find the right mental space and strength to do it. But listen, if I can, with my history, pretty much anyone can!
Old 03-21-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

So yesterday was a close call, I went to a guys house who is a cokehead to play videogames and in my mind I was ok in doing some because its not my DOC and at almost 4 months clean the high would've been amazing (I would do coke 1 or 2 times a month) but thats not the point of sobriety is it? I really want to live a sober and healthy lifestyle, also I have to make new sober friends.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post
Good morning all. A whole week has gone by - seven days - since I quit!
Dear Mentium,

I wanted to touch base with you in that I notice we have similarities: (1) "flatness and depression" are prominent aspects of my early sobriety that promote relapse, and (2) I am older, that is, in my fifties.

So let's keep trading notes! And congratulations on your success this week.

Mel
Old 03-21-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Old 03-21-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope everyone is having a nice afternoon
Old 03-21-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 450 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by BlissWithin View Post
So yesterday was a close call, I went to a guys house who is a cokehead...
Glad you made it through OK. One of the most highly recommended and frequently ignored pieces of advice is to stick to dry places and sober people in early sobriety.

I can't count the number of people over the years whose last post was along the lines of "Going to the bar with friends. Feeling strong. Wish me luck!" Never heard from most of them again.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Day 3. Feel pretty good this morning. My body seems to be responding nicely to me actually caring for it.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mel12 View Post
Dear Mentium,

I wanted to touch base with you in that I notice we have similarities: (1) "flatness and depression" are prominent aspects of my early sobriety that promote relapse, and (2) I am older, that is, in my fifties.

So let's keep trading notes! And congratulations on your success this week.

Mel
Happy to Mel. Spring is in the air here for the first time after a long winter here in the north of England. Cheered me up enormously. Been out to a local walking spot with my dogs and I am feeling just fine!

You know I am sure one of the tricks to not feeling miserable in sobriety is to really accept one hasn't given up something wonderful that one is going to miss 'terribly'. When I think of the misery and anguish drinking has caused me surely the right response is to feel like celebrating a victory - however recent and tenuous at this stage. When one thinks of the millions, literally, who have dies from this condition..
Old 03-21-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday everyone! Day 13 going strong over here. I was hoping to hear back on my job interview yesterday, but to be honest I'm glad I didn't; Friday was always my drinking day and with good or bad news from that, I'm not sure how I would have reacted. I've found that staying sober has helped me to try and see the bright side of everything.

How is everyone else doing today? Does anyone have any specific plans today to distract them from the idea of drinking?

Have a great weekend everybody!
Old 03-21-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alaina742 View Post
Day 3. Feel pretty good this morning. My body seems to be responding nicely to me actually caring for it.
Congratulations on day 3 Alaina!
Old 03-21-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  

xo, Jeni. We're here with you.

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
I really hope so. I have been honest with my sponsor and my husband now. It would have been easy to have covered this up, but I can't afford to do that. My addiction is so powerful it scares me.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Echo here. I'm glad you made it through the day unscathed.

The past few years, I haven't had much of a social life -- only a few friends, and I get anxiety to see them. So except for today, I haven't been anywhere this month, aside from visiting extended family (which has its own emotional hurdles).

Today I had breakfast out. Dry place. Sober acquaintance.

And... the good part: I actually left the house this morning without priming myself with wine. This is a huge step for me. It was awkward and awful, and I was filled with panic, but I did it.

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
Glad you made it through OK. One of the most highly recommended and frequently ignored pieces of advice is to stick to dry places and sober people in early sobriety.

I can't count the number of people over the years whose last post was along the lines of "Going to the bar with friends. Feeling strong. Wish me luck!" Never heard from most of them again.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Gosh, I feel like I got hit with a brick.

My best friend of 15 years text me just now that his birthday party is next Friday. I told him I would go but not be drinking, he supports that, but there is going to be MOST of my good friends there and tons of booze and drugs....

Another example, instead of going on a date last night ("like almost every 1st date "for drinks") I canceled saying I was sick and sat alone all night by myself...

This is what sucks most is the loneliness of sobriety.

:
Old 03-21-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really had to make changes in my early recovery. Hanging around my old mates was a recipe for disaster cos they all drank drug and partied like I did.

I mad new friends, I reconnected with old friends who didn;t drink like I did, I followed new interests.

I wasn't a hermit...I just didn't go to places or hang around people who weren't good for my recovery anymore.

In time, you be able to go anywhere and be fine - but you start weight training with the lightest weights not the heaviest...build up those sober muscles guys

D
Old 03-21-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  
Administrator

hiimbryan1, I'd probably take your mate out for a special bday meal sometime, and skip the party.

If you must go have a plan. Have a plan for what to say when people ask you what you want to drink, or why you're not drinking.

Have a plan for if you get tempted - have an escape plan.

D
Old 03-21-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  
Court jester

Day 5, feeling great. Find myself smoking more than usual, but I'm sure a temporary compensation. I have also given myself carte' blanche to eat whatever the heck I want this week....so I got that going for me!