Notices

A story for Early recovery

Old 03-09-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A story for Early recovery

Looking back at how I was in October of last year I can honestly say I’m in a better place today than I ever imagined.

I was in a terrible state really I need to be hospitalised or put in to a detox / rehab program but I was in denial about my drinking so I suffered massively with all the common symptoms bust most of all the mental stuff.

For anyone reading this that is in the first days of giving up and feeling the affects it will get better give it time.

I drank 3 days a week wed / fir / sat mostly beer and red wine. I drank every week for 16 years and was very much addicted to alcohol maybe not physically but mentally.

A combination of a stressful job and my slightly compulsive personality meant I had drank to keep my level but in the end I crashed and burned as I had used alcohol for all things I thought made me happy for example , cooking , gardening , DIY but really I was just wanting to drink.

I have a lot to look forward to in life but at the start of this I thought I had nothing I was selfish and ill not understanding that I had issues that needed addressing and the end the answer was get sober and learn to lead a sober life.

Iam an alcoholic I understand that alcohol and me where friends but are no more.

I had many good times and as I say I never drank daily and I never drank when I woke all things that people think a person who is alcoholic like but its wrong there are many different things I have felt and experienced that where new to me.

So I never thought I would be in the position as I am today to write a positive story on (SR) but I am and to anyone who is in the early stages there is hope and life will get better I wish you well

That’s my story so far I needed to post this as I promised myself when I am feeling good I want to document it and hopefully help someone who is down
Old 03-09-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Aldo, congratulations on breaking the habit of years of drinking. I'm sure your mental and physical health are really benefitting. I love the mornings where I don't have to think back on drinking too much the night before.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting Aldo, really spoke to me as I'm struggling right now with trying to deal with all those previously numbed emotions.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thank you. keep it up
Old 03-09-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Aldo, congratulations on your success. Wish you the very best in the future. I have yet to read a story on this site where someone got sober and regretted it.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Exellent post Aldo
Old 03-09-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thankyou Aldo. I am new to recovery (only 22 days in...although it feels like I have run a marathon as its my first attempt at sobriety!). I really appreciate the hope you offer someone like me. I too haven't ever taken a drink in the morning, or really before 6pm - ever...but have been drinking every week for about 30 years...and for the past 5/6 years pretty much every night. It has rarely affected my work...but...like you I have always known its a problem...and like you I allowed it to edge into all I did, gardening, talking to a friend on the phone, a little pick me up before I went out for the night (to drink anyway)..or a little nightcap when i got back from being out, etc, etc...

So yes, I really get what you say about alcohol essentially creeping alongside us kind of in the background then - bang! - before we know it its involved in most aspects of our lives... It's good to know that this awful early sobriety time ebbs...thanks for the reminder

I wont say good luck with your sobriety - as we both know its not about luck, but about intention and effort, and putting a plan into action - continuously...so... instead i wish you much good fortune in remaining sober up there in lovely Scotland (my homeland - i live in Devon now) - as I do my wee self...
Old 03-09-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Very cool post Aldo.

Keep up the awesome work!
Old 03-09-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChrisBen View Post
Thank you for posting Aldo, really spoke to me as I'm struggling right now with trying to deal with all those previously numbed emotions.
Hang in there pal I will do it with you,,
Old 03-09-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Littlebear;5248398]Thankyou Aldo. I am new to recovery (only 22 days in...although it feels like I have run a marathon as its my first attempt at sobriety!). I really appreciate the hope you offer someone like me. I too haven't ever taken a drink in the morning, or really before 6pm - ever...but have been drinking every week for about 30 years...and for the past 5/6 years pretty much every night. It has rarely affected my work...but...like you I have always known its a problem...and like you I allowed it to edge into all I did, gardening, talking to a friend on the phone, a little pick me up before I went out for the night (to drink anyway)..or a little nightcap when i got back from being out, etc, etc...

So yes, I really get what you say about alcohol essentially creeping alongside us kind of in the background then - bang! - before we know it its involved in most aspects of our lives... It's good to know that this awful early sobriety time ebbs...thanks for the reminder

I wont say good luck with your sobriety - as we both know its not about luck, but about intention and effort, and putting a plan into action - continuously...so... instead i wish you much good fortune in remaining sober up there in lovely Scotland (my homeland - i live in Devon now) - as I do my wee self...[/QUOTE

Hi little bear

It's hard but we can do it we have made the decision to quit that is the hardest part everything else should be down hill.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

There is always hope if you believe you can do it and get help when you need it
Old 03-09-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post Aldo! You're doing great.