Notices

New to this...

Old 08-16-2004, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this...

Hi there-

Not too sure how to begin this. I'm worried about my drinking. I usually drink on Thursdays with my co-workers and it gets excessive;hours & hours of champagne & wine. Just one day a week doesn't look so bad typed here , but it's the [I]kind[/I] of drinking that occurs which scares me. It's very heavy & pounding back large quantities, with little to no slowing down.

I keep setting goals for myself like:"Well I'll just stop for a week, and see how I feel." But I've yet to stick to that. No one I work with seems to notice, or think it's a problem. But it's starting to make me nervous. I can't seem to have just one or two. It's always at least four or five. How do you learn to say 'no'?
Old 08-16-2004, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Welcome to SoberRecovery Boba.
Sounds like you want to get to the bottom of certain questions, and that's a good thing. I'm an addict in recovery, and alcohol was my favorite drug by far.
Like you, I could pound it back in limitless quantities it seems.
Only you can decide and admit if you have a problem with alcohol.
Alcoholism is progressive in nature, and it only gets worse for those who suffer from it, never better.
Take some time to cruise the forums and get comfortable in this community, full of support and experience.
Very glad you're here
Old 08-16-2004, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Boba, It's scary isn't it? I'm Deg, nice to meet you. What you feel inside is the most important thing, if drinking once a week heavily scares you, and you can't stop doing it - you're not going to be very happy, and that's not good.

Many of us find it impossible to cut down, and then the only solutions are to stop completely, or stop worrying, or carry on drinking and get really fed up and revisit this place, poorer, less healthy and with fewer real friends.

Until you're ready to quit altogether... Try taking a little control, and hold it as long as possible. Miss the first drink every week, try swaping to something really lightweight, even try stopping after two or three drinks... you'll be teaching your subconscious who's the boss and you'll get to learn what your trigger points are, what your weaknesses are, and how to work on them.

You're in control. Even if it feels like you're not.

Good luck, your mission, should you wish to accept it is to exercise a little bit of control this Thursday and report back when you've stopped feeling sick on Friday.

Good luck, Deg.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Boba, That fact that you lose control is an indication that you may have a problem. Those once a week binges can be more Dangerous then drinking daily. As Dan mentioned, alcoholism is progressive. What is limited to one day spree now, can, and usually does get worse. I applaud the fact that you recognize that you may need help. Many of us were much to stubborn and pridefull to do that. Stick around, learn all you can. We are here to help.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
knucklehead

Boba, only you can decide for yourself if you have a problem with alcohol. If you think you got a problem you have come to the right place. Now is the time to be honest with yourself. good luck and welcome to SR.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((((((Boba Fett))))))
Heard when I went to AA that normal drinkers don't really wonder if they have a problem. I personally knew I did! Was grateful when I found others who took the time to sit down with me personally and explain it by sharing their own personal experience in the progression of their own alcoholism. They even had a solution to the problem that has worked wonderfully for me and countless others.

Hope you stick around and hear somethings that keeps you coming back and maybe even get you to try an AA Meeting locally.

How do you learn to say 'no'?
Not sure how to answer the question though as I had to say yes, I am an alcoholic before I was able to say no to another drink.

(((((((((((Boba Fett)))))))),
3 Legacy
:tri
Old 08-16-2004, 08:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi and welcome!
If it's causing you turmoil, then maybe you do, maybe you don't have a problem. But normal drinkers don't worry about it as mentioned. There is plenty of support here and elsewhere.

How to quit? Unfortunatly, I searched for a decade for that answer, and the only thing that worked, was to just do it. We're here, and do visit our Alcoholism and AA forums.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Boba nice to hear from you. You sought out this site for help, you drink to excess albeit once a week (I drank pretty much on weekends) and you are having a hard time stopping the pattern. You are right to to think that these are red flags.

On idea I have is that you need to disrupt that learned drinking pattern or behavioral scheme. I would highly recommend an alternative activity Thursday night!!! How about going to the gym or something like that instead of out with coworkers. That's what we call a trigger or precursor to drinking - I learned that I had to avoid those drinking situations like the plague, especially early in my recovery - I still do.

Just my two cents...

Dave