Notices

Letting go of the past

Old 03-04-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi K ,
I feel it too , we choose to take these things with us or not , when we drop it we drop part of ourselves it feels , whats left we wonder ? Do we define ourselves by our baggage ?

One day for me there were no self questioning voices left , no motivation to do anything in particular , no questions about life . coming, going all of these busy things we fill ourselves up with , drag along with us . Gone ..

i'm not sure where it leaves you .. Other people seem to have all these ideas under their arms and in their heads and i have none ..

Now time for tea

Take care , m
Old 03-04-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Weasel I am quite new to sr. I hadn't heard the story before you told it...and was deeply moved. You are quite right - moving on and letting go of the past is simple but not easy. Maybe we do more good towards ourselves in this process by finding some time to just sit with our feelings of simply not being able to let go (yet)... Learning to just sit and see what that feels like and be kind to that 'holding on' feeling inside us. In other words...let that feeling just be there without trying forcibly to move anything on...because...we simply can't right now. If we can manage just that, it feels to me like we are already beginning to allow some warmth in, and letting the sun enter...

Thank you for prompting some thought...
Old 03-04-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Thank you and Welcome to SR LittleBear... Hope you stick around and continue to read all the wonderful messages of hope from some pretty amazing people. People that have stopped drinking and stay stopped.

Ken
Old 03-04-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

This was great! As usual My biggest struggle is learning to let go.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You are wonderful Ken. Your heartfelt posts mean so much to us.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

A superb and thoughtful Post, Weasel.

It immediately reminded me of this Video of what freedom can look like. A lovely visual Metaphor that we all can revel in the Present; regardless of how dodgy our Past. Leave the Cage. Step into the Light.

This is posted to share pure Joy. No Politics intended whatsoever...

Freed Research Lab Beagles Feel Grass For The First Time

----
Old 03-04-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

What a brilliant post Ken. Like PondLady and Ruby I remember this story, it can be found here: http://www.btboces.org/Downloads/6_A...20Bradbury.pdf

A way I've found to deal with the past is to put it down -- like a parcel -- then deliberately move on leaving it behind. I imagined a door closing and locking behind me ... that helped a lot.

What matters is what I do today and in all the todays I've got left.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Thank you everyone!!!!

MM you are KILLING me... Tears before work? really? Thanks!

Marcher... I read that story now and it still moves me. I know my version was self serving since I could not remember much past some generalities. But when I was young and read this for the first time I cried. I was Margot. I was forgotten in the darkness in a situation not of my design and not one I could affect.

That's not me now of course. I am healthy and working hard at being happy. Joyful if I may even imply. But the story and the way I saw it was never far from me. Odd how that happens.

Have a GREAT day today everyone!!!
Old 03-05-2015, 03:15 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Very nice post.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:21 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Understanding what you can't experience is not the same as knowing it. And learning much later in life what others know from childhood.... Well that is just not the same. We learn differently at different times.
Dear Weasel,

Thank you. That is an amazing story, which speaks to me especially since I started chasing the high in childhood.

Even so, I honestly would not want to be someone else. Even though I "missed experiencing the sun because Bill locked me in a closet," the fact is that "Bill missed the experience of being me."

This is probably some kind of "I am a special snowflake" rationalization and I probably would have been better of as someone else. No, that can't be right . . .

Mel
Old 03-05-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Ken, I am glad that reading the story again was a good experience, you give so much to all of us, it's nice when we can give back a bit.

Cheers from your Aussie friend.