Notices

The Men Who Serve Our Country

Old 03-07-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

If you ever want to talk Vendetta were here its ok i remember how you feel now know were here to support your recovery 5000%

have you cnsidered sobriety mtns ?
Old 03-07-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think it's important to recognise that alcoholism isn't something that we can simply turn a switch off one night.

If I can use a military example as an analogy, the operation of Sobriety takes careful planning, mapping out our next move, preempting the pit falls, scouting out the enemy and calling in reinforcements when needed!!

For me I was revolutionising my lifestyle completely to someone who no longer drank, and that took time and effort to make it happen!!

You can too vendetta!!
Old 03-07-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

We do this together.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by vendetta View Post
I think the alcohol promotes depression.
It's a depressant, that's what they do.

For a long time (decades) I thought that if I accepted, really, truly accepted I had a problem that I would immediately stop desiring alcohol. I knew I had a problem, and I would try to quit, but I kept desiring alcohol and I took it as a sign that I wasn't ready yet; that I hadn't fully accepted my situation.

I was wrong. It doesn't work that way. My compulsion to drink is unrelated to my rational conclusion that drinking is bad for me. Overcoming addiction isn't about shutting off the desire, it's about outlasting it. There is no outmaneuvering this enemy. It's a war of attrition.

Welcome to the fight of your life.

You can do this.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Ya**!

Originally Posted by jayman View Post
You have to understand that many service members have the same problem you do. In fact, it's those same hardships you mentioned that drives a lot of them to drink, myself included. I'm an alcoholic and have been sober 81 days thus far. I'm also a former Marine and I started drinking a lot when I got out. I chose to drink my problems away instead of finding other forms of help. We're not superhuman, don't think for one moment that you're less of a man because you have this problem, it's what you do now to fix it that makes a difference. All of us former and active service members who are recovering are right there with you.

Don't give up, stay motivated.
This. Alcoholism occurs regardless of social status or career.