Notices

Alcohol related deaths

Old 02-21-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 24hrsAday View Post
^Never heard that one.

Many alcohol related deaths i am aware of.. suicide (many different forms) also should be counted as alcohol/drug related (many times)
Yeah a friend of mine's brother in jumped into a river at night in Ireland after his girlfriend broke up with him, he was drunk at the bar, I highly doubt he ever would have done that sober.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aasharon90 View Post
I am responsible, healthy, happy and
most of all honest in all areas of my life
today. For that I an grateful and blessed.

Today, I can still enjoy the gifts of the
Promises granted to us as long as I
continue to live within recovery and
helping others in life and recovery.

That's my story and im sticking to it
and Passing It On.

With work and change these and more are the benefits of sobriety and being comfortable in our own skin most of the time.

BE WELL
Old 02-21-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
That reminds me of Latin America where there are many shrines to deaths on the roads and you often see people driving with open bottles of hard liquor. Not good.
Scary. I went on a cruise several years back and the taxi driver at one of the ports was drinking and driving openly.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberween View Post
Years ago former presidential candidate George McGovern's daughter Terry froze to death after passing out on a heap of snow in the dead of winter. Alcohol deaths are not immune to the rich and privileged.
There's a book about this, I believe. It's one I haven't read yet.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The Cold, Lonely Fight of Terry McGovern : Alcoholism: The senator's daughter gained sobriety, going dry for years at a time. But always something drew her back. In the end, it cost her her life. - Los Angeles Times

Very sobering
Old 02-21-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Drunk girl around here passed out on a porch, had to have most of her hands and feet amputated due to frostbite. Winter temps in the north are no joke.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

This thread hits home to me big time.... I look back and see how fortunate Iam to be here writing this. So sad.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My long-time running buddy who I drank with for ten years walked into a lake while he was drunk. He was chronically homeless and couldn't stop drinking, so he just gave up and walked into the lake when he was obliterated.

I used to drink and drive for years, but I managed to stop drinking and driving about three years ago because I realized how selfish and dangerous it was to myself and others. I got my first DUI trying to drive back from New York City to the Baltimore area. I got drunk at some random bar in Manhattan. Don't remember how I got out of the city. Two hours later, I came to swerving on the Jersey turnpike outside of Philly with flashing police lights in the rearview. Could've easily died or killed someone in the hundreds of times I drank while drunk.

But now that I don't drink and drive anymore, fights are a problem for me. I got beat up so bad last December I had to get a root canal. I've been blacking out a lot lately. I blacked out for a few minutes at the bar, the next thing you know, the bartender is saying I swung at the guy sitting next to me and he is standing in my face wanting to see me outside. Luckily I was a foot taller than him and I just walked away and he really didn't want to take the chance of fighting a big guy like me. But it's scary. Many people die in bar fights from falling back and hitting their heads on the concrete. I've also been walking around drinking in these deep freezing East Coast temperatures we've been having lately despite the fact that I wear heavy ski jackets, multiple layers, gloves and thick boots when I'm out walking. It's scary to know that any day could be your last out there if you're drinking and it doesn't take much.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I started blacking out everytime I drank, I heard I threw a drink in someones face, that must've been awesome for them
I didn't drink and drive at night, but I'm sure I would've blown over at time in the morning on my way to work hungover and still kinda drunk.
I was being verbally abusive during black ours too.
I had to stop drinking, who knows what was next.