Notices

Stayed sober

Old 02-18-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mns1 View Post
Stay focused jryan!

Alcohol isn't escape. It is confinement. It imprisons you and blinds you to the truth, which is that you are strong enough to push forward without it.

Glad you are here and fighting it.

More power to you!
^^^^ What mns said - exactly.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well I got through last night, and stayed sober.

I feel like crap today.

Amazing how yesterday I felt awesome and today I feel like crap. Granted I didnt sleep much last night so that probably has something to do with it. I woke up at 1 and didnt fall back asleep until 3:30.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Early sobriety is filled with good days, not so good days and some simply ugh days.

Do you have any face to face support - AA, counseling?

There is more to recovery than simply sobriety. Have you started to peel away the layers of your alcoholic skin - the reasons why alcohol has been a part of your life, why it has been used as a coping tool? Recovery often involves a great deal of introspection and self-awareness.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

No I dont have any face to face support this time around. I felt too embarrassed to go back.

Reasons why I drinking was a part of my life: to de-stress and used as a coping tool because I got lazy and stopped lifting weights on a regular basis. Now I just feel lazy most of the time.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Many people here have talked about not returning to AA or like groups because of embarrassment and of being greatly relieved by the warm welcome they received upon returning.

Addressing guilt, shame and embarrassment and the reasons behind those emotions is useful in the short-term 9to peel away the layers of our alcoholism) but hanging onto those feelings only hold us back in the long-term.

Maybe try getting back into exercise a little at a time.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Many people here have talked about not returning to AA or like groups because of embarrassment and of being greatly relieved by the warm welcome they received upon returning.

Addressing guilt, shame and embarrassment and the reasons behind those emotions is useful in the short-term 9to peel away the layers of our alcoholism) but hanging onto those feelings only hold us back in the long-term.

Maybe try getting back into exercise a little at a time.
Yeah I hear you... maybe its more I dont want to go and I am using an excuse of being embarrassed. I dont know.

Yeah I have been getting outside more mainly just walking the dogs and walking to the park (about a mile) and parking further away from work so I have to walk 6 blocks or so from my car to office. But I really need to get back into the strenuous exercise- that is what helps the most by far.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Have you looked into RR and AVRT?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html
Old 02-19-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm a big believer in exercise, for many reasons, and have found that once I start something the positive momentum builds and it becomes easier to keep up with the routine because it becomes more of a habit. Get that first lifting session behind you and the second one will be easier.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
I'm a big believer in exercise, for many reasons, and have found that once I start something the positive momentum builds and it becomes easier to keep up with the routine because it becomes more of a habit. Get that first lifting session behind you and the second one will be easier.
Ugh I know! Its just crazy I keep making excuses not to! Im too tired. Im too hungry. Im too depressed. Im just not into it today. I dont feel good...

I lost my workout buddy a few months ago and havent been motivated at all anymore.

I just need to bite the bullet and do it!
Old 02-19-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
Ugh I know! Its just crazy I keep making excuses not to! Im too tired. Im too hungry. Im too depressed. Im just not into it today. I dont feel good...

I lost my workout buddy a few months ago and havent been motivated at all anymore.

I just need to bite the bullet and do it!
My three main exercise outlets are lifting, running, and lately to a lesser extent cycling. I can honestly say that no matter unmotivated I am beforehand once I start moving the motivation returns and probably 99% of the time I feel better afterward. There's a term I learned at SR called playing it through as in what's going to happen if I have that first drink. This is sort of the same thing, but with a positive outcome. Jryan, play it through to the end about how you'll be feeling after your lifting session once you pick up that first weight.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I find I have to act my way to right thinking.

Do the exercise. Doesn't matter if I don't want to do it, it is scheduled and I do it. I've never once been sorry afterwards. It helps me - no - it keeps me sane.

Get out there.

Just do it.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I find I have to act my way to right thinking.

Do the exercise. Doesn't matter if I don't want to do it, it is scheduled and I do it. I've never once been sorry afterwards. It helps me - no - it keeps me sane.

Get out there.

Just do it.
yeah I just need to do it- like nike. I will start light tonight and then work my way up.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Still rocking the sober hat. Just got back from dinner. I drank iced tea and my wife just water. Table next to us was pounding em.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Jryan