Notices

Help reduce fears of that dreaded first AA meeting

Old 02-17-2015, 10:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Help reduce fears of that dreaded first AA meeting

What keeps most people from attending AA? It's fear. Fear keeps people from getting the help that might make all the difference. AA might not be for you, but you should at least check it out before deciding. If you're afraid to go, you're not alone. Fear of that first AA meeting is nearly universal.

I just read a thread by someone who was looking for their first meeting. They felt awkward asking people gathered outside of the building if it was the correct location. They started a thread asking for advice. I did not see the thread in time to make my suggestion, but fortunately that person did find the meeting. They later wrote "I've never been in a group of so many people willing to expose their flaws."

That thread made me wonder how many times I have read, right here on SoberRecovery, about people too afraid to even get out of a parked car and enter a building with an AA meeting. I thought it would be good to start a thread with suggestions to address first meeting fears, as well as anything else that might help someone who wants to attend a first meeting.

I have many suggestions but I'll just start with one.

If you want to ask if there is an AA meeting inside a given location, ask the people in the vicinity if they are friends of Bill Wilson or Doctor Bob. AA people will gladly point you in the right direction. People outside of AA will almost never know who you are talking about. (Bill and Bob started AA)

Please add your suggestions to help make the prospect of a first meeting less fearful. It might save a life. Thanks
Old 02-17-2015, 11:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A good idea, awuh!

I've read that folks worry about being recognised in an AA meeting. Firstly, if someone recognises you then you also recognise them 😊 they have the same concerns as you! Having said that, regular AA members know that anonymity is paramount so please don't be concerned. Everyone has the same desire to stop drinking which outweighs the fear of recognition. The rule of AA which is often repeated at the end of a meeting is:

'What you see hear, what you hear here, remains here '

That is, nothing is disclosed beyond the meeting room.