Notices

Sorry, don't know what to do but to post to get things out!

Old 02-15-2015, 02:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Dee makes a great point, JadedGirl- a big part of sobriety is dealing with the normal stuff that everyone else has to deal with. I'm 45 and my dad passed away three years ago. So I am dealing with all those same concerns (eg mom has had some health issues, etc).

I don't know if this is helpful in any way but one thing I do is to try to be mindful. Be in the moment you're in. Every moment of your life is lived in the now but not everyone seems to understand that fact. The past is gone and is fixed- it can't be changed so don't worry about it. We can plan for the future but we can't touch it. Right now is the only space and time available for us utilize it!

Acknowledge your thoughts and feelings. Don't dwell on them but don't try to push them away. Things we suppress often get stronger, not weaker. To me that's the way cravings are. Acknowledge that you feel them but don't give up your power.

Stuff will happen. Some will be good, some will be bad. I enjoy the good but I temper it with the knowledge that it may be fleeting. But by the same token bad times generally don't last either.

This moment is just one link in an unbroken chain. It may help to look at it this way. If you're having a rough time remember it's a step along a road that leads to somewhere better.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm a little late. Hope you pulled trough!

Alcohol is almost every where. Sadly. But, I see it this way now. If everyone ran off a cliff would I follow? Nope. I see Alcohol the same when I see people filling their shopping carts, to increase their chances of getting lucky on Valentines day. Yikes!

A lot of people might not be Alcoholic... But they sure dam need that drink to have a good time! Alcohol is a poison to the human body. So why in hell would it make sense for me to do like others and drink?

My 18 cents of the day. LOL!
Old 02-15-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Enjoy you week off. Imagine spending it hungover? Nah, don't want that.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You're still very early on in sobriety and what you are feeling is completely normal. For me, my emotions seemed more heightened in month 2 once I'd got past the physical stuff and the initial quit, more so than in the immediate beginning. It was almost once I'd gone past the first few weeks it was a case of now what and is this it?

What other have said about doing new things is so important. Stopping drinking is just the first step - building new habits is the next step. Even if these are small things they will still be important things for you. I presume it's half term where you are too. For me, I did little things like go to a coffee shop first thing without a hangover, go for a walk and look at things rather than just look at the ground. I really started to notice things around me which I'd never been aware of before. Go to the beach or park. If your daughter can see friends take some time for yourself and go swimming or yoga or a spa day ( my favourite!!) Anything, just something different that you might enjoy-take a book and read at the top of a hill

If your thoughts about others dying are very intrusive and your anxiety is particularly bad a trip to the doc might not be a bad thing. Since getting sober I've had lots of doc visits, blood test etc and now take HRT, a mild anti D and anti anxiety meds as and when. For the first time in my life I feel stable and happy.

Things will get better by the end of the month but it is important to build new habits
Old 02-15-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Jaded,

Some really good posts in this thread which I can't add to but I've quit for about the same amount of time as you so I'm in your corner