Notices

Meds... questioning if I should take them..

Old 02-08-2015, 12:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Meds... questioning if I should take them..

I know were not allowed to give each other medical advice so everything stated is only opinion.

I was prescribed propranolol for anxiety and baclofen for alcohol cravings. I havent taken either because im the type of girl that rarely even takes advil. I am usually tense and have a mild/moderate general anxiety provoked mostly at work and in social settings. Im turning to food more and more to escape these feelings and id like to try the meds while I find other healthy ways to cope. Im in therapy as well

I guess my question is for people whove taken meds. What should I expect? How will I know its working? How will I know if I should take more/less/stop?
Old 02-08-2015, 12:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

If the doctor prescribed the meds, maybe just take them as prescribed? I wouldn't advise taking more/less or stopping without doctor supervision.

As for what you can expect, I don't know. However if you were honest with your doctor and he/she prescribed these meds, then I think you should trust that they may help you.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm afraid I have no experience with propranolol and no experience with baclofen for alcohol cravings.

I agree with Suki but if you're concerned about taking meds why not have another talk with your Dr or get a second opinion LLG?
Old 02-08-2015, 12:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree dr will answer any questions, but i have propanolol that I just take as needed and it doesn't do anything crazy, just slows my heart when I panic. I don't even really notice it to be honest, just stop my heart feeling like it might jump out and run away but no other noticable feeling, doesn't effect my head at all.
Oh and I can feel it slow my heart a bit almost instantly, doesn't take long at all. Hope this helps, definitely ask a doc if you're feeling unsure though!!
Old 02-08-2015, 02:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I see this quite often. We spend years badly self-medicating ourselves with alcohol. Then, when a doctor of all people prescribes us medication we are apprehensive to take it or don't take it at all. I wonder why that is? I say it's time to trust a medical professional and take them as prescribed.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I started today.. taking as prescribed. It is a phenomenon melinda I agree lol ^
Old 02-08-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I took propranolol for years - it was because I got horrible migraines. I took it daily. After a while it really made me slow down and I gained a lot of weight - nearly 70 pounds.

I stopped taking it when my migraines stopped and I've since lost the weight.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi LLG i just wanna wish you luck in this and like some have said if concerned get a 2nd opinion

spk soon friend
Old 02-08-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
waking down

I take meds for pain but so far avoided the opioids this time around. I think when a prescription says "as needed" we need to be careful not to believe we need it when we actually don't. I'm heading for surgery and want to take my tramadol, but I would be taking it for anxiety not pain right now, which tells me not to take it. It's important to be aware. Maybe keep a log of when you dose and why. Baclofen is an interesting drug and worth reading about in your context.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

These are all questions for your doctor. Make sure you have a good doctor. If you don't trust your doctor then change physicians. i think it's not wise to try to second guess medical advice and we certainly are not allowed or qualified to do so.

W
Old 02-08-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have been prescribed propranalol on an as-needed basis for social anxiety. I take it when I am in social situations that can cause me crippling anxiety such as presenting or performing in front of a group. It doesn't make make me feel any different than normal, like I don't feel sedated or spaced-out or drugged up. What it does do is keep my heart beat slow and steady. I feel in control, and although I may still feel some anxiety it takes away the panicky "fight or flight" response. The only side effect that I have is that after several hours I can start to feel fatigued and worn out. I don't need to use it often, but it really has been great in helping me get through anxiety producing situations and build confidence in my social abilities.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Im prescribed to take the propranolol twice daily. I took one this morning and I dont like it. It noticeably slowed me down and raised my body temp. I already have issues with lethargy and feeling hot lol! I didn't trust myself to drive either. Im taking notes and ill take it up with the doctor.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was recently at a N.A. meeting with a Doctor at my table, He put it simply. "If you use prescription medicine to get a buzz you are abusing it." I would suggest looking up the meds online. find out what the side effects are and if they are addictive/narcotic.
I don't trust psychiatrists on there word. There are some crooked ones that get kick backs for prescriptions they write. That's the fact Jack.
I'm not a Doctor, but I play one on T.V.
peace-Jonathan
Old 02-09-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've taken baclofen for other reasons, there's no 'buzz' from that.

Propranolol, as I understand it, is a beta blocker - I've never heard of anyone getting a buzz from those either, tho I'm happy to be re-educated on that score

D
Old 02-09-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have propranolol prn and find it helps with physical symptoms of anxiety. With regards to knowing whether to take less, more etc take as px and see how you feel then review with ur dr. He is the best one to advice on dosage changes. Don't mess around with it without advice. I did find I got a bit faint on a few occasions and think that was due to it's effect of lowering BP (then again the fact I was drinking a lot at the same time probably didn't help). Good luck and any probs please spk to ur gp xx
Old 02-09-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

^ oh and yea agree with above you won't get any sorta buzz from beta blockers xx
Old 02-09-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I do hope you check with your dr and if you don't have faith in him/her, please get a second opinion. Drs are not perfect, but it's important to feel comfortable with your dr.