Notices

Hope for those in the very beginning of sobriety

Old 02-07-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hope for those in the very beginning of sobriety

Im new in sobriety at 43 days.
Even so-you may be at only a few days in and I simply want to pass along a few really cool benefits of sobriety I didnt really think of:
(this is to give you hope-if your feelin like ARG IS this worth it? - soon enough you will feel MUCH, MUCH better)

-Lately I feel like I forgot I could feel. I mean - simple things like playing cards sober with friends and having real fun! and NO anxiety- just pure enjoyment of good friends.

-Really diggiin this freedom. Every part of it. I can drive whenever I want, Financially Im really seeing the extra money, I feel restored- younger.

- Theres more -in summary Im feeling "restored" - more each day.
THATS why you want to do this!
Thanks for listening
Old 02-07-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I second everything you wrote. I feel even now. Evened out. When I was drinking it was all peaks and valleys. 98% valleys!
Old 02-07-2015, 09:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm only 3 weeks sober and spent last weekend playing Uno and Yahtzee with some family. I had a great time and normally I would be wanting to drink and getting the others to drink with me. I forgot how much fun simple things can be without the booze.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I was in my first couple of weeks of sobriety, I remember one afternoon flipping the light switch in my bedroom and noticing the bulb had burnt out. I was in a bit of hurry, and thought damn!!! I have to change that bulb right now, because by the time I get to bed tonight and remember it's burnt out, I'm going to be way too wasted to change the bulb.

I got an incredible rush of gratitude when it hit me that I wouldn't be wasted! I would be sober, and in the same condition I presently was. I would be able to change a light bulb. And I was thrilled about it.

Hmm... there's a joke somewhere in there, but it hasn't come to me yet .... how many alcoholics does it take..... ?

Anyhow, congrats on the 43 days. I remember how great that felt.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
When I was in my first couple of weeks of sobriety, I remember one afternoon flipping the light switch in my bedroom and noticing the bulb had burnt out. I was in a bit of hurry, and thought damn!!! I have to change that bulb right now, because by the time I get to bed tonight and remember it's burnt out, I'm going to be way too wasted to change the bulb.

I got an incredible rush of gratitude when it hit me that I wouldn't be wasted! I would be sober, and in the same condition I presently was. I would be able to change a light bulb. And I was thrilled about it.

Hmm... there's a joke somewhere in there, but it hasn't come to me yet .... how many alcoholics does it take..... ?

Anyhow, congrats on the 43 days. I remember how great that felt.
Yes, yes, yes. You just brought up memories for me Joe. I would get everything done before drinking and within the first two hours (which was about six drinks in those two hours.

I was also in graduate school so I would "speed write" through my paper to finish by seven or eight pm so I would still have my precious time. Often I would click "submit" with about six drinks in me. I'd start drinking when the paper was almost done, getting tipsy as I wrote the reference list.

Finished all business phone calls by 6 pm. God forbit someone called me at 8 pm.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

43 Days is fantastic!! Keep pushing through Livingnow!!
Old 02-08-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Exellent Livingnow

Congrats on 43 days