Notices

Howdy!

Old 01-27-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Howdy!

Just joined the site and thought I should say hello.

Currently sober for 9 days. Before that I had 2 weeks and let my guard down. The addict voice in my head whispered "Go ahead, have some wine on date night. You don't really have a problem. Normal people have wine on date night."
Maybe so, but then normal people probably don't drink 3/4 of a bottle of wine with dinner, toss back a glass of port for dessert, go grocery shopping while drunk and forget to bring the groceries inside, then make a Big Gulp-sized mixed drink (vodka and apple martini liqueur) and down it before bed.

So I have to admit, I can NOT drink moderately. Once I start, I'm like a robot with only one command: DRINK MORE. And I'm sick of not being in control of my actions. I quit smoking 15 years ago because I was tired of being a slave to the habit. (Funny, that's about the same time I started drinking more...guess my addiction just took on a new form.)

Anyway, here I am, looking for advice on how to make sobriety stick this time. I have a 6 yr old son and he deserves a mom who is fully present and engaged with him in a meaningful way.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yay! Welcome to this lovely site And keep on posting
Old 01-27-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Unfrozen. You will find support, understanding and encouragement here.

Congratulations on 9 sober days.

Have a look around the site. There is a wealth of information on alcoholism and methods and techniques for achieving and maintaining sobriety.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome/Howdy Unfrozen nice to meet you youl find loads of support here

Congrats on day 9 sober you might want to read this & print it off http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html

Sppk soon friend
Old 01-27-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Unfrozen. Welcome I am also new to sobrity and a Mom - not only do our kids deserve a sober Mom. We deserve to be happy and sober. I'm doing it for me and for them.

Hope you can join us on the January thread. Take care
Old 01-27-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm also at SAHM. I finally quit my drinking AFTER it got out of control. I won't know how much damage has been caused until later in life.... Much later in the case of my daughters life and how my drinking may have affected her younger years. I found AVRT I quit drinking. It's not an easy path to travel but it is full of knowledge. The key is to NOT drink. Welcome to SR, there is a lot of support here. Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself

Congrats on 9 days x

Keep on keeping on
Old 01-27-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Unfrozen,

I'm glad you found us. It's good you know you need to stop drinking.

What worked for me in the early days was making changes in my routine. My hardest time was early evening, so I started going out for long walks at that time and it made a huge difference. I also shopping in different stores, drove home from work a different way to avoid the usual stop for wine, that kind of thing. I started to say 'No' and to make sure I had some time for myself.

You can do this!
Old 01-27-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

9 days is wonderful Unfrozen - glad to meet you!

That was my problem too. All my best intentions flew out the window once alcohol was in my system. I'd use all the willpower I could, but my 'one' drink always turned into the whole bottle. It was actually a relief to get free of it. You can do it!
Old 01-27-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR family!

This site is an Oasis of knowledge on Addiction. Hope you benefit as mush as I have. SR changed my life.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Unfrozen!!
Old 01-28-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hello Unfrozen and good job x
Old 01-28-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!
I have recently relapsed and I really do believe that a change in routine helps a great deal. I actually have a less stressful job than when I first started drinking heavily, but that didn't make any difference to my drinking. My two biggest changes are going to the gym first thing in the morning (it makes me feel healthy, if that makes sense!) and cooking a time-consuming dinner every night.