Notices

I can't do it

Old 01-25-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't do it

I can't stay sober because I love to get drunk. I hate the day after. But if I can get past the hangover day, I'm right back to the bottle getting drunk and repeating. Drink one day. Rest one day. Repeat. I am ******. I don't think I can ever stop. Is this my life?

Last edited by Dee74; 01-25-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you me? I have learned I hate the regrets and the hangover. But if you are like me you know we need to STOP!. I am knew but I think we can do it.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, you can do it, scared. This does not have to be your life - no way.

Do you have any face to face support - AA, counseling, LifeRing.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Scared... Is that you? Well it is today. Does it have to always be you? Absolutly NOT. You know how I am sure? Cuz I was you at one time myself.

Today I am sober and living more free than I ever thought. I love being sober.

Now how ever you plan to jam a stick in your spokes is up to you. But best to do it for yourself before something comes along that will do it for you.

Have you given any of the ways people use to get sober a try? AA, AVRT, LifeRing? I love AVRT and has helped me alot.

This is possible. You can stop.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me it wasn't a life it was merely an existence, drink, hangover, weekend binge, hangover and the story was simply on repeat, a real life groundhog day!!

Alcohol though doesn't hold all the cards, we can break the cycle with some support, an acceptance that we need to part ways with alcohol and a plan put in place.

What have you tried so far to get Sober? if it's not working, time to change up the plan, new resources, tougher decisions on what activities you get involved in and who you hang out with, for me I had revolutionise my decision making to make Sobriety happen!!

You can do this!!
Old 01-25-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can quit. You absolutely do have the power inside you to put the bottle down.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, you can do it and you must do it. This disease is relentless. Don't let it take anymore of you.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am seeing a psychologist this week and I am going to try and muster up the energy to tell her that I abuse alcohol
Old 01-25-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Scared... Good news for you. I hope you tell her.

Please come back here and post how you are doing. There are lots of caring and supportive people here. We understand what you are going through.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Scared, it can get worse. You can do like I did and drink every morning to be able to function. Nothing like staying drunk to avoid hangover and withdrawal. You can lose jobs because, while being able to function, you reek of booze all day. Those are the better parts of the experience. There's always waking up/coming to in random places that's always fun. Stranger's beds, stranger's floors, parking lots, park benches, doorways, ditches(in cars and out), lakes(yes, I woke one morn in a car in a lake).

It can get worse.
  # 11 (permalink)  

scared 1234 i know its hard but it can happen. i started counselling recently and it helps. some people need to be sick of being sick and tired. or to reach a rock bottom in there drinking. but it doesn't need to be that way.
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scared1234 View Post
I am seeing a psychologist this week and I am going to try and muster up the energy to tell her that I abuse alcohol

That sounds like a very positive step, scared. Great!!!!
Old 01-25-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Please let me know if that helps! I would also do that.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Helloooooooo.

Tell her! You'll be amazed at the positive response. My father in law recently admitted he had a drink problem, he took himself to the doctor and it took ALOT for him to talk about it because he's not a talker, but he's on a recovery programme and medication now. The teams they have and the programmes they have are not as scary as it all seems to you right now. Just imagine being able to feel, and experience the world in a fresh new light, it'll be amazing, it'll be scary but this time next year If you want this, it will be yours.
Won't be easy at first but the journey of a thousand miles starts with one step...said Buddha or someone!
Old 01-25-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Scared - I lived that way for decades. Just couldn't imagine life without it. So I continued until I had real trouble - dui's, ruined relationships, bad health. Terrible things don't need to happen - you can rise above this. Glad you are here and posting about it.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If I can break free after 30 years you certainly can. You just have to get over the hump. I know it seems impossible at times but you just have to let go of it. Look how much grief this is causing you. It really doesn't have to be this way. I felt I was letting go of the only thing that kept me sane. It was really just the opposite. If you can push through the initial rough physical and mental adjustments you'll see what a waste time and life drinking really is. There is help available and there are links on this sight to several different methods to help with recovery.

You Can and Must do this. Good luck!
Old 01-25-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Your AV does not want you to quit, but you do.

We all have the same duality. 2 distinct voices that are tangled when we drink. Sobriety gives us a chance to separate the 2. Any Thought pattern that is aimed at justifying to drink is the AV. Good news is that your voice is stronger than the addiction's voice.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am on the edge of a panic attack. I feel awful. There are a million thoughts in my head and I cant get any of them to shut up. This is awful. You know the sad thing is, I think back to when I was younger and never drank, I ask myself "how did I do that...How did I ever get through a day without thinking about booze?..Like it was nothing...Like it was trivial" Now I look at myself in the mirror and all I think about is when the next drink is..whether its tonight or tomorrow or the day after. I dont get any physical withdrawals thank god but I gotta tell you, the mental **** is worse. I am in a nightmare while awake on days like this. I dont really think I could tell a doctor or psychologist the truth because I dont want a single person to know I'm like this. I think to myself "Quit now!!! Your liver is still healthy, you are young!(mid 20's), you havent driven drunk once!, you haven't caught some STD, your mind is still strong(when sober for a couple days), you are smart!, you dont have the shakes in the AM, your family loves you and doesnt yet know the severity of the problem, you haven't lost your job...and most importantly, you haven't lost your LIFE!!!! SO WHY DO I KEEP ON DRINKING?? WHY DO I GAMBLE ON MY FUTURE SO OFTEN? WHY CANT I JUST STOP NOW AND BE 100% OK?? WHY?? **** MY LIFE
Old 01-25-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please ask for help in getting out of the trap of alcoholism. The psychologist would be a good first step toward getting help. It is possible to stop drinking but you've got to want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have lost a great job, a wonderful fiance and gotten a DWI please don't let it take you down like it did me. I ended up quitting but if I had done it when I first knew I had a problem my rock bottom wouldn't have been so low.