Notices

Then it all becomes real

Old 01-18-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Then it all becomes real

I have tried to quit drinking several times before. But yesterday at dinner it became real for me.
Yesterday was my 13 tear old sons birthday party. When I asked him what he wanted for his birthday, he said, he wants daddy to quit drinking and live forever.
I have been drunk for over 20 years. 12 pack every week night, a case on Friday and Saturday. Man the money I have wasted.
What I have put my wife and kids through. At this time I am ashamed of what I have become.
As amazing as it seems, I have been sober for 24 hours and I do feel better, actually a lot better.
My entire life has centered around beer for so long. we don't eat places that don't serve alcohol, and honestly if there isn't beer involved I simply didn't go.
Now im 300 pounds, always tired, and always in a bad mood. Wife couldn't figure out what was going on today as I did the dishes, laundry and cooked supper just to keep my mind occupied.
I don't want to tell her I gave decided to quit again and get her hope up this turns up to be another one of my failures.
Thanks for letting me ramble again.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You got this. One step at a time.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do this, and be the father your son deserves!!
Old 01-18-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, mechanicpsyco. Sounds as though you have a pretty amazing son.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done and keep going!! Xx
Old 01-18-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Welcome!

We've all screwed up big time, but we can be better and fix it!
I look forward to reading about your progress!
Old 01-18-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know here I am surrounded by good people, who really do understand!
Thanks to you all!!
Old 01-18-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hey mechanic! Sounds like you've made the really awesome decision to quit drinking!
What an incredible gift to give your family! And this quit doesn't have to end in failure! You have power over your choice to quit and over your sobriety!
Really glad you're here!
Old 01-18-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Mech Congrats on your 24h

You can do this take it day by day stick around join the class of january the 24h thread & read as much as possible

Have you got a sober plan ?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-3-a-3.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-35-a-12.html
Old 01-18-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Member

How proud will your Son be on his next birthday ?

Get all the help and support you can, make a vow to yourself never to restart drinking again, go through the withdrawals and come out the other side, cleaner, wealthy and respected.

This is a very exciting time for you, you can really make a difference to your families life.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

#1 I would consult your personal physician regarding detox to be sure you are safe while you go through withdrawl.

#2 Alcoholics Anonymous Tricities, NE Tennessee, TN
Old 01-18-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you mechanic. You're among friends who care. Plus, there's always someone here to talk to 24/7.

It sounds like you're fed up with that old, sick life. That's how I ended up feeling too. What had once been fun and relaxing was just a stupid habit that gave me no pleasure. I don't know why I clung to it for so long. It's wonderful to be free - you can definitely get your life back. Congrats on your 24 sober hours.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Cool! You're on your way to a healthier life for you, your son and wife. Welcome! You will find lots of good support here.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome and congrats on your 24hrs

I'm glad you are sick of the booze, good for you.

A visit to the doc wouldn't go amiss if you are worried about wd symptoms.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi mechanic, well done on 24 hours!

You can take your life back, and you've come to a good place to help you do that

More power to you mechanic!
Old 01-19-2015, 03:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey mech! Welcome and well done on your 24 man!!!!
Old 01-19-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Nice to meet ya man, welcome! Good for you for making a positive change in you, and your family's life.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Mechanic, what an enlightening post. You might have been drinking beer for a long time but your writing skills are still sharp. I really admired the part of your post where you said you helped around the house rather than sit around craving for alcohol like many others. It's not just about giving up the booze, but also living your life to help your family and others.

I drank a bottle of wine a night. It's been such a relief since I stopped.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My sponsor - 26 years sober - had a conversation with his thirty five year old son this year.

His son told him 'Dad... All I ever wanted was for you to spend some time with me...'

He remembered his dad as the guy who came home from work, sat down with his whiskey to watch the game and didn't want to be bothered.

My sponsor said it hit him, he could never get that back but he could carry that message to others.

Your son is 13. Some of his toughest years lie ahead in the next 5-10 years and some of the riskiest for his own potential danger with addiction.

You have an awesome opportunity here. You can make a choice to be the man you want to be and the man he needs..... Shed some of those unwanted pounds, see your health and energy return, show your son an example of greatness he can model, and be there for him as he faces the challenges of becoming a young man.

How awesome is that?

What a fantastic blessing.

You can do this.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
My sponsor - 26 years sober - had a conversation with his thirty five year old son this year. His son told him 'Dad... All I ever wanted was for you to spend some time with me...' He remembered his dad as the guy who came home from work, sat down with his whiskey to watch the game and didn't want to be bothered. My sponsor said it hit him, he could never get that back but he could carry that message to others. Your son is 13. Some of his toughest years lie ahead in the next 5-10 years and some of the riskiest for his own potential danger with addiction. You have an awesome opportunity here. You can make a choice to be the man you want to be and the man he needs..... Shed some of those unwanted pounds, see your health and energy return, show your son an example of greatness he can model, and be there for him as he faces the challenges of becoming a young man. How awesome is that? What a fantastic blessing. You can do this.
My son is 7. Huge reason why I quit. My dad drank. He drank every day but he was great. We did so much together. I was the "leave me alone" drinker. I could not blame my dads drinking for mine. We were two different types of drinkers it took a major health scare for him to quit at age 60. I did it at 29. I can't imagine living like that for 30 more years the way I was to my kids. No thanks. The highest high isn't worth it.