Notices

Hit the Nail on The Head - Ah-Ha!

Old 01-16-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My big ah-ha was realizing it was a simple thing to not drink, but to experience life with its ups and downs... day in and day out... every SINGLE moment of every SINGLE day... sober, without a drink... that was the "fun" part Or, at least, the interesting and challenging part of this whole sobriety deal
Old 01-16-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
2 Wolves story without a doubt Fly
It's a great one pal......
Old 01-16-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I suddenly realized that I wanted to live a real life. I wasn't. I was slowly dying a horrible death. I knew getting rid of alcohol forever was the first step.

I read this last night. Maybe it doesn't fit with the thread but, it rang true with me. It went something like this: "I'd rather go through life believing I'm an alcoholic rather than drunk trying to convince myself I'm not."
Old 01-16-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by jsm273 View Post
I suddenly realized that I wanted to live a real life. I wasn't. I was slowly dying a horrible death. I knew getting rid of alcohol forever was the first step.

I read this last night. Maybe it doesn't fit with the thread but, it rang true with me. It went something like this: "I'd rather go through life believing I'm an alcoholic rather than drunk trying to convince myself I'm not."
Well struck
Ah - HA~!

Great responses from all !
Old 01-16-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

When I finally realized that alcohol was no longer soothing or calming anything. It was only a negative. When I did my pros and cons of stopping there were no more cons.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

If a Dr said you were allergic to nuts, would you go out and buy a packet of peanuts?

Sometimes alcohol gets some sort of special treatment in our minds, it's causing problems in our lives, but comparisons with other medical conditions brings some perspective to the table!!
Old 01-17-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
If a Dr said you were allergic to nuts, would you go out and buy a packet of peanuts?

Sometimes alcohol gets some sort of special treatment in our minds, it's causing problems in our lives, but comparisons with other medical conditions brings some perspective to the table!!
Agree PK!
As if an allergy, that was indeed an Ah-ha moment as well. Heard analogy to diabetes. Do what's necessary to ameliorate the medical condition.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It was sometime last year when I realized I didn't covet Drinking again. This has many ramifications.

- No more struggling. You can't covet something you deep down no longer want. This effectively removes all the very involved Strategies req'd for Coping if you still 'secretly' covet Booze.

- No fear. I go to Bars occasionally for Food and could not care less if there's Alcohol there. Same with Booze Aisles in Stores, etc..

- A healthy [and cynical] detachment from Booze-soaked Culture. TV Ads; Drink Specials we're bombarded with; Booze Pix on the right side of my FB Page; ad nauseum. Those distractions ain't changin' any time soon. So, I had better do so... The only time I get a Haircut is when I decide to sit down in the Barber Chair. It doesn't matter how many times I'm in that proverbial Barber Shop.

Imagine moving away from an Apt. adjacent to Elevated Train Tracks. You don't know what silence is [analogous to Sobriety] until you're immersed in it for a while. At that point, you can imagine moving back to Train noise about the time you can imagine Drinking again: never.

Due to advanced age, perhaps, my 'A Ha' moment was when Drinking receded to became a non-issue.

A lil follow-up to Nonsensical's hilarious Post above. Sung by non-Native English Speakers, to boot...

'Take On Me' ~ a-ha

-----
Old 01-17-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

That there is absolutely nothing more important than my sobriety. Everything in my life hinges on me not drinking. Spouses Friends family work.... have to come after my recovery.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

When I look back and at the present 99% percent of every embarrassing, horrible moment was because of alcohol, nearly every single one.
Also when I realized I can't moderate, I just have to stop.
I've slipped a few times, but I'm doing well. I'm getting there.