Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Got out of the house for awhile last night apprently i wasnt having "fun"

Notices

Old 01-17-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to a local bar last night I am comfortable in my sobriety that I do not feel it's a trigger because simply if I had to avoid bars I wouldn't be able to do a large part of my job so from the start I accept that.... Anyways I had a few NA beers and a water I sat at the bar for awhile and I'll tell you watching then drunks.... Wtf when was that ever fun? Seriously the nasty sweaty girls and the guys wanting to fight over some dumb stuff.... THEN the people who slur "you don't look like you're having fun" well if that's fun no I don't want to anymore..... Lol I have been in bars for work since I quit and this was my first social outing.... Probably won't go back for awhile either it's kinda pathetic really. Makes me wonder why I ever liked it
Old 01-17-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's interesting to sit back and watch what goes on in a bar or pub. It makes me sad, too, though - can't help but worry about the path some may be headed down.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I never got the bar scene as a way to have fun. Most people probably don't even remember any of the "fun" they had anyway. And if they do, they often regret it. Makes no sense.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good realisation Upminer
Old 01-18-2015, 02:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hear you. As a friend of mine said about drinkers at the bar 'They are just unhappy people having fun'.
I used to go to bars sober because I had a Good friend who is a bartender. Oh man, the drinks he served me. Saw a guy fall off his stool once. What fun.
There was a mirror on the back wall of this bar and I used to watch myself drink into oblivion.
Eccchhh, fun.
Don't go to bars anymore. I have my own fun now.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Yes, it's kind of sad to watch people wasting money to poison themselves.

Good experience for you, upminer.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's a whole new perspective watching people get drunk in a bar when completely Sober!!

Great realisation!!
Old 01-18-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What an insightful share. I used to think drinking was "fun", too, upminer. When I stopped drinking I had to remember what I actually like to do. I'm still discovering my interests!
Old 01-18-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
waking down

The only reason I go to a bar is for live music or if the place is also a good restaurant.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hated bars when I was an active alcoholic. I didn't like the noise, the darkness, the smell and or cigarette smoke, people screaming just to get a word in edgewise. Ha: the expensive drinks!
I didn't like paying the same price for a glass of wine that a whole bottle cost! I much preferred to drink alone, and I sure did a lot of that. I suspect there are quite a few alcoholics like me.
In sobriety I still don't like bars. I can tolerate being in them, but am just as bored in a bar sober as when I was drinking.