Notices

Made it to day 4

Old 01-14-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it to day 4

Was expecting day 3 to be the worst. That's the furthest I've ever got before but had my gym induction and I don't know whether it was just coincidence but the exercise did seem to reduce the cravings. Was so confident this morning but
Tonight they're back full force. My mum has my bank cards and money which is helping. She found half a bottle along with an empty down the side of my sofa this morning, can't even remember putting it there or when! She tipped it out which I was thankful for.
Noticing how many things trigger a need to drink and some I understand and some I don't? Upbeat music, being hungry or thirsty, chewing gum?? Driving past shops usually buy alcohol, coming home and straight away walking towards the fridge...feels overwhelming tonight and I'd give anything for the taste and feeling but I've started writing a diary and coming on here helps so much too.
Nice to not feel alone with it.
Just hope that one day someone mentioning going out for a drink or saying they're going to have a glass of wine after work won't make me tense up.
Can't even imagine the times going to have to be around people drinking. Just trying to keep thinking 'think of today'!
Old 01-14-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi Jadedgirl, so glad you made it this far! Good to hear you are making progress.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome job on day 4 sober Jadedgirl

Congrats
Old 01-14-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on four days, that is wonderful. Keep on keeping on!

Originally Posted by JadedGirl View Post
Driving past shops usually buy alcohol, coming home and straight away walking towards the fridge.
I did this too at the start. I drove a different route for awhile and the fridge thing was hard. I would open it and get a ghost image of me reaching for the bottle.

It gets better. Take it one day at a time. I went to sleep early many nights just to cut the day off at the knees so I could get through that day.

Do whatever it takes and keep reaching out!
Old 01-14-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thankyou Hun. Shows what a habit has been formed doesn't it :-/ I kinda did similar yesterday, didn't go a different route but bought petrol in a different station that I knew didn't sell wine.
You know I've actually tried early nights but last few days I'm still awake 2.30am...so tired but just finding it Impossible to sleep!
Reassuring to hear it gets easier, thankyou xx
Old 01-14-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome JadedGirl !

Excercise helps a LOT in recovery ! Keep it up.

Eating well helps too ! in the first month or so eat what you want, when you want and how much you want. JUST DONT DRINK ALCOHOL !!!

Best of luck to you. YOU can do this !!!

DD
Old 01-14-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DuhDave View Post
Awesome JadedGirl !

Excercise helps a LOT in recovery ! Keep it up.

Eating well helps too ! in the first month or so eat what you want, when you want and how much you want. JUST DONT DRINK ALCOHOL !!!

Best of luck to you. YOU can do this !!!

DD
Thanku Dave. I work in NHS so because I get a discount I'm tied in to paying gym membership for a year now so no excuses! It really did seem to help yesterday so planning on going again tomorrow.

Omg want to eat all the time at the moment so trying to get some healthy stuff in or I'll be bouncing around the place. Definitely not putting calories first at the moment though. Can always lose a few pounds later (or pay for surgery with the money saved from not buying wine lol)

Feeling more confident again right now! X
Old 01-14-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 4! Year! I am on Day 5. Yesterday was hard, today is better. So glad you are pushing through.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done on your day 5! we can definitely do this! X
Old 01-14-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on four days, JadedGirl. It will get easier with time.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Here are a couple of links for urges and cravings:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
Old 01-14-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Thanku Hun :-) x
(I have taught mindfulness courses and have heard of urge surfing but had never thought to utilise it for cravings...typical scenario of not taking your own advice lol).

Last edited by JadedGirl; 01-14-2015 at 02:35 PM. Reason: .
Old 01-14-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

You rock JadedGirl!!!

Just stay focused and keep taking it one day at time.

It's good that you are recognizing your triggers and being mindful of them.

Great work keep it up!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mns1 View Post
You rock JadedGirl!!!

Just stay focused and keep taking it one day at time.

It's good that you are recognizing your triggers and being mindful of them.

Great work keep it up!
Thankyou Hunni...well focused again tonight (maybe cz all the shops are shut and have no bank cards but even so lol)...
Gonna be so pleased again in the morning :-)
Thanku for the fab support and hope ur doing good too (hugs) x
Old 01-14-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JadedGirl View Post
Was expecting day 3 to be the worst. That's the furthest I've ever got before but had my gym induction and I don't know whether it was just coincidence but the exercise did seem to reduce the cravings. Was so confident this morning but
Tonight they're back full force. My mum has my bank cards and money which is helping. She found half a bottle along with an empty down the side of my sofa this morning, can't even remember putting it there or when! She tipped it out which I was thankful for.
Noticing how many things trigger a need to drink and some I understand and some I don't? Upbeat music, being hungry or thirsty, chewing gum?? Driving past shops usually buy alcohol, coming home and straight away walking towards the fridge...feels overwhelming tonight and I'd give anything for the taste and feeling but I've started writing a diary and coming on here helps so much too.
Nice to not feel alone with it.
Just hope that one day someone mentioning going out for a drink or saying they're going to have a glass of wine after work won't make me tense up.
Can't even imagine the times going to have to be around people drinking. Just trying to keep thinking 'think of today'!
Craving tonight as well. The shop is seconds down the road and I could be back and forth in minutes. Which brings me to embarrassing thoughts. Last week, in frigid temperatures at this time, I went to the convenient store to buy a bottle of vodka. The clerk was really rude because NO ONE was out and the fact that I was there with kids was odd. I might as well have written 'ALKIE ALERT' across my forehead. He said something to the effect of "oh, no school tomorrow for the kids?" It didn't make a ton of sense but I understand what he was driving at. He wanted to make a really snide remark but couldn't get away with it.

I've been in a lot of stores and I try to pass the liquor aisle as fast as possible. That's not a huge trigger. I was at the "self-discipline" point--you know, that stupid point where you realize your problem and start buying .5 to pints trying to fool yourself into thinking "this is it for tonight". So I didn't really buy from the grocery shop in the end. Just the liquor store.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It is kinda embarrassing isn't it because people do notice. I went to the back shop a few weeks ago to buy bread and milk and the man who works there said 'no wine?' With a shocked look on his face!
Don't let yourself be pulled to the store...keep thinking why your doing this.
I've given my mum my bank cards because the shop is within sight of my house and so easy to get to...this way can't even if I wanted :-) x
Old 01-14-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

remember - one day at a time, Jadedgirl.
Congrats on day 4!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

4 days is a lot more than a lot of people get to. You should be really proud of yourself. Keeping busy really helped me with cravings and that included lots of exercise. For the first 6 weeks I ate candy non stop so the exercise wasn't hurting anything. Congratulations
Old 01-14-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tommyinphilly View Post
4 days is a lot more than a lot of people get to. You should be really proud of yourself. Keeping busy really helped me with cravings and that included lots of exercise. For the first 6 weeks I ate candy non stop so the exercise wasn't hurting anything. Congratulations
Aw Thanku :-) I think I'll have to do the exercise, after the 3 pan au chocolates the other night I've been at my daughters party rings tonight lol x
Old 01-14-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The sugar cravings went away for me after 2 months. You are doing great