Notices

Devastated.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Believe me, we have all been there. Get up, dust yourself off, and try again. Try something new, push yourself out of your comfort zone and do something different. You should only be disappointed if you are complacent and quit trying to quit. If you are fighting, then you should be proud!
Old 01-14-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Viking, the best thing to do is to stop drinking now and get back to working on your recovery. Don't let this bring you down farther. You can do this.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
You are NOT a disappointment to us. We feel YOUR disappointment in yourself but don't share in that sentiment. And you were and ARE doing well; you came right back. You can make this just a bump in the long road of sobriety and recovery. I have heard so many wise people here say that slips are part of our addiction and not a part of recovery. When we slip, there is only one good and viable option - recommit to sobriety; examine the slip; shore up the holes in our plan; put in place a mechanism to avoid the situation or thought processes which led us to the slip and start moving FORWARD. You are loved here, Viking; love offers support not judgment.
Soberleigh I so wish I could word things how you do. Such a lovely way to put this.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You are not a disappointment. It's frightening how quickly things go back to what it was. I'm glad you are back. I hope to see you here.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind and honest words. I really do feel very badly, and I have some serious thinking to do about how I am handling so many things in my life right now. I had forgotten this self-loathing feeling completely, and I never want to feel it again.

There is no alcohol in my house. There will no longer be alcohol in my house. Period.

I have been so swept up with many changes in my life, I was not doing what I know I need to do stay sober, coming here, posting, reading my AVRT books, journalling, celebrating my successes and taking inventory of how much my life had improved in the past several months.

It's so shocking how fast it became utterly unimportant to me that I was killing off a huge amount of alcohol, ALONE, and while I was doing it, I felt almost gleeful. What the heck?

OH, I am beyond frustrated with myself. Off to spend some quality time with Mr. Trimpey.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The important take away is that you're fully aware and are once again ready to do what you know needs to be done. And this is coming from one who went wayward a few days ago so I totally understand the frustration.

Wish you well.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

VikingGF-*hugs*
While I don't have much to add that hasn't been said, the amazing thing is you're using this as a learning experience, which will make you stronger in your sobriety.
I am so glad that you are back here and posting again.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Viking don't sweat it. It's easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of daily life and staying sober is hard work on top of all that. You just have to slow down and find a way to balance it all out.

It's okay to be frustrated or disappointed with ourselves at times. That's what drives us to improve. But don't beat yourself up!

We all have your back you can get through this!
Old 01-14-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back with us VGF

D
Old 01-14-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Viking you have not lost the time you were sober and you have that sober time experience to call on. Think about what preceded drinking, what was the trigger that got you to listen to AV?

When a soldier staggers his mates pick him up and put him back on his feet, in this thread you've been lifted up to sobriety again.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

You've gotten some phenomenal thoughts/advice here already. All I have to add is that I love you. And I'll never stop.

I can tell you all day long that you're amazing, you're worth it, you deserve it, etc., but you have to truly believe it yourself before this will work. You will get there - I know that with all my heart. This is a process and everyone's looks a little different. You know now something wasn't working. So get to tweaking, sister. Notice I said tweaking, not twerking.

Love to you today & always.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I have tried to learn and do many new things in life. Not a damn one off them went of without a hitch the first time. EVER. I am not even talking about becoming sober. I mean anything that I have ever tried to learn.

I was about to type that this is no different, but it is, to a point. Alcohol consumed so much of our time, was such a habit, was SO important to our primitive mind with the chemicals it releases when it gets what it wants...

You have not failed. You are not a failure to anyone, not even yourself. I know it felt like it this morning, but you are learning how to achieve your goal. This was a lesson, not a failure.

The only time you will fail yourself, is when you give up learning how it works for you, to stay sober. You will never fail anyone here, because we don't see bumps in the road, we see the progress, and my friend you are making progress!
Old 01-14-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Dearest Viking,

I totally agree with TomSteve: look at your tagline: "So you have all this patience for others but none for yourself."

You know what you have to do. You've had seven successful months. You'll soon eclipse them with your new sobriety.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Viking - I'm glad you are back with us so quickly
Old 01-14-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Viking, I'm just now seeing this. I'm sorry for the pain and confusion you've felt today, but so glad you wanted to talk about what happened.

We could never be disappointed in you. Only if you stop trying for a better life. You're one of us - we've all had setbacks. I had 3 yrs. once & threw it away. You're back & that's what counts. Never give up on yourself - 'cause we're not - we believe in you.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:43 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

It's one thing to lose a battle, just remember it's a full scale war! You can pick yourself up, dust yourself off and commit to getting it right. You can do it VikingGF!