Notices

Im still here... lurking

Old 01-08-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im still here... lurking

I've been mainly lurking lately, not making threads of my own, and trying to give my advice to threads where I can. I feel I am at a stage that I dont need to say every day I am sober still, or man this day sucks!

But recently it has all started to turn around for me. My sleep is getting better, and I am getting more energy as the days go by. The dark circles under my eyes are still there but they are getting less noticeable as the day starts, but start to come back at the end of the day. Hey at least they are going away!

I just overall feel better, not quite great, but good enough considering all the abuse I have put myself through. I am still hitting bed around 10 pm (at the latest) and waking up at 7 or 7:30 and I feel like I need all that sleep.

I was reviewing my credit card charges the other day, and what I dont see anymore, is $8.67 every day for the gas station where I buy my beer. I still stop there in the morning to get my Rockstar when needed, and I was even asked about why they havent seen me after work. I was a regular at this place. Rockstar in the morning, beer in the evening. Well I am sober I said. "Good for you" said the attendant. Then she told me about people with the shakes coming in at 6 am getting some airplane bottles of vodka, and dumping them in their fountain soda they just purchased as a morning pick me up before work. Luckily I never got there.

But just wanted to stop in and say hi, and let you know I will still be around, posting here and there but you may not see new threads from me. Life is good again. I have quit smoking now for I dont even know how long (3 months maybe?) and my breathing is getting so much better. Its not perfect yet but I feel it is coming along as I dont have to use my inhaler as much anymore... its actually very rare that I would need it more than one time a day, and most days I got without it completely. Still coughing crap up every morning but small price to pay for feeling better.

Anyways thats my story for today.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome post Jryan well done bud
Old 01-08-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bryan, how long have you been sober?

Inspirational that it does get better after enough time!

Thanks for posting, as I was caught in a pattern of thinking that I don't ever know if this is going to get better. I know the emotional pain will not kill me, but it does suck sometimes!

But without a doubt, this is significantly better than dealing with life under the influence. I can not be happier I am on this journey .
Old 01-08-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Jryan. how long have you been sober?

Thanks for posting, as I was caught in a pattern of thinking that I don't ever know if this is going to get better. I know the emotional pain will not kill me, but it does suck sometimes!

But without a doubt, this is significantly better than dealing with life under the influence. I can not be happier I am on this journey .
Old 01-08-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that things are going so well, jryan. Great post. Newcomers appreciate hearing from other recent newcomers who are succeeding so a post every now and then would help them.

Good job, jryan.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well and feeling better.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Great news Jryan. I found that for me posting on others' threads was very helpful to me as well. I counted days and months and had "milestone" threads for quite some time but gave that up after a while too. Bottom line, just stay involved and keep up the good work.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alwyshope12 View Post
Jryan. how long have you been sober?

Almost 4 weeks.

First week totally sucked. No getting around that. Second week, was still a little rough, but I could start seeing progress. Third week, I started to hit that turning point but still had rough days mixed in. So that brings me to now. A few days ago I had a really rough day. Not so much withdrawal symptoms, or feeling poorly physically, it was more of an emotional drain. I just didnt want much to do with anything really. I just wanted to be left alone but at the same time I didnt want to be alone. But that passed as it all does.

Just a few things that have helped me:
Reading and learning about something. Keeps your mind busy.
Keeping busy- for me its with my motorcycles and cleaning up "my space" which is my garage and trying to make it more fun place to be.
Interacting more with my family.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Glad to hear that things are going so well, jryan. Great post. Newcomers appreciate hearing from other recent newcomers who are succeeding so a post every now and then would help them.

Good job, jryan.
I will still make my own threads, just not daily like I use to... that is what I meant.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Great news Jryan. I found that for me posting on others' threads was very helpful to me as well. I counted days and months and had "milestone" threads for quite some time but gave that up after a while too. Bottom line, just stay involved and keep up the good work.
Yeah I think last time I was more involved with what day I was on instead of just being sober. I had too many milestones, and not enough reflection. I had too many "Yay for me" instead of just realizing this is what I have to do and getting it done. I will still be involved as I feel people here have helped me greatly, and I want to give back as well. Cant just receive and not give back!
Old 01-08-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Jay!
Old 01-08-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
I will still make my own threads, just not daily like I use to... that is what I meant.
Great! Thanks.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Fantastic stuff Jryan!!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Just keep plugging away. Life's too short to waste.

We recently went to a funeral of someone who died in her late 50's. Just made me realize that I needed to keep on this path and stay there.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

4 weeks is great. And the bags under eyes do go. It's mainly fluid retention. Keep it up
Old 01-08-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by savarna View Post
4 weeks is great. And the bags under eyes do go. It's mainly fluid retention. Keep it up
Hope so! They are annoying to see!
Old 01-08-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Way to go jryan. Great to see your success...been rooting for you!