Notices

I must be serious i sold my kegerator this morning!

Old 01-05-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I don't expect them to understand but I don't need them taking shots at me that I'm going to sneak it or fail. How do they know? I've never tried to quit before!
Old 01-05-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My kegerator is an old fridge freeze combo so we still use the top part as a second freezer. So I just took off the taps to make it look more normal.

Yeah that is not fair about your wife's family. Were you and your wife having trouble that led to you being sober? (obviously you dont have to answer that at all if you think it is too personal). I felt my relationship with my wife slipping for a few years now. Nothing was really said about it, just a mention of something here and there by both of us. And now I realize it was the druigs can alcohol that was causing ME to be more distant not her. She was still the same person making the same efforts while I was the problem. So I hope that by you quitting you begin to work things out with your wife even if it just benefits your kids the most. But hopefully you find that your relationship with your whole family begins to strengthen and you find the joys that you use to find in the small things in life.

To put a personal spin on it. Sundays was always for football and booze. I would leave my house before the first games started and not return until after the late games, or sometimes even after the night games. I would not see my family the whole day pretty much. Would not have breakfast with them, nor lunch, and most times not even dinner. The kids would be asleep when I got home- drunk. I would drink and drink hard. And this is all after a hard night of drinking on a Saturday as well. So really I would not see much of my family from Saturday evening until Monday after I got home from work. All because I wanted to drink, and not be bothered with what they were doing.

So fast forward to the past few Sundays. I would wake up (not really early, but around 8:30 or 9 which is waaayyyyy earlier than before) and at least be with my family before the games started. Sometimes I would eat breakfast with them, sometimes not. But I now watch the games at home. My kids plays on the floor with their toys, and I help them set up lego scenes, or help them build a craft etc... Then sure I will keep the TV on for the other games (that my favorite team would not be playing in) but we also go outside on a walk, work on the motorcycles together (usually its just hey kiddo hold this and hold that or shine the light here- but they enjoy it for about 45 mins to an hour). I feel this has brought me closer to my family as now I spend more time with them and actually do things with them. Anyways sorry to ramble, but I think sobriety is huge in being able to fix things that were broken in the past- especially if they were due to drinking like mine was.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by upminer View Post
I don't expect them to understand but I don't need them taking shots at me that I'm going to sneak it or fail. How do they know? I've never tried to quit before!
They don't know - only you do. The best thing you can do is focus on your sobriety and your actions, you cannot control what others say or do. It's very possible that there are marital issues you will have to attempt to sort out separately, but don't let that sidetrack your sobriety.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

That has got to be so difficult upminer. They should be trying to build you up and support you versus tearing you down. You've got us here to support you. Prove them wrong! You've got this!