Notices

Starting to feel like a nicer person

Old 12-30-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting to feel like a nicer person

Usually I would get hammered, wake in the middle of the night with THE FEAR, but then by the time the hangover wore off, so did my fear of the things I had said or did. I never truly apologized for my actions, I just let time go by and ASSUMED people would forget/forgive me.

I used to be nice and thoughtful. When I was 17, my one brother complimented me on my thoughtfulness with gifts. I started drinking, and all thoughtfulness vanished. This year, on my first sober Christmas, I gave him a thoughtful gift for his new and growing family. It was nice to be back.

I have noticed, in my 10 days of sobriety, that I feel I am GENUINELY nicer to people, more thoughtful in my comments/actions, and have more compassion for those around me. When I was drinking, I never understood why I couldn't make friends, I am beginning to understand now.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on 10 Days Suzie!!

The benefits of Sobriety keep on giving!!
Old 12-30-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good job on 10 days, Suzieq. Alcoholism takes from us our true selves and often leaves us unrecognizable even to ourselves.

Great post. Power on!!!!
Old 12-30-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job on 10 days Suzie

Its nice to be nice
Old 12-31-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's great. I noticed I was nicer, in sobriety, too. I was so self-centered I didn't have time to care about others, I was just looking for my next drink or recovering from the last one.
Now I've people are nice, too. If I treat them the way I would like to be treated.
Good for you on ten days. Keep it up, it only gets better.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi

Staying sober and we see the benefits mounting up. I’ve been in AA many years and say the majority of people attending are really good folks compared to their stories of past drinking times. A helpful thing that happens is their self esteem escalates which results in good things happening within them.

BE WELL
Old 12-31-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great story. I definitely find I'm a better listener when I'm sober. Our natural positive gifts start to shine through.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I relate to this post. Most of us tend to be quite self-absorbed, manipulative, and crippled by crazy moods that are not very compatible with good social skills, as active addicts.

This is an area that I feel I still have a long way to go and definitely intend to improve. I think I've progressed quite a lot in sobriety, but I'm still a bit too self-centered at times and would like to become much more generous on a larger scale, not just with my select few friends or in specific circles. It's a process, like everything.

Congrats on 10 days
Old 12-31-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What a wonderful post! Congratulations on 10 days!