Notices

Somehow

Old 12-31-2014, 12:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Somehow

I first joined this forum many years ago. I don't even remember what my user name was. I was sure that I was on the brink of getting sober. I was going to live a happy and productive life.
That was at least 8 years ago, and the longest stretch of sobriety I've been able to string together since then was 11 days.
At the time, I didn't think I would live to see 30. Now I'm 35, and I CAN NOT keep living like this.
It has been a long time since I felt this serious about getting sober, but I just can not stop. I have tried AA... I don't think it is for me... I am not religious at all, and I know that isn't a requirement, but... it's kind of an unspoken one that I just can't reconcile with.
I went to a few meetings back years ago, and I felt more compelled to drink after going. I don't know what I can do different.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You just have to want it and fully commit. Stay away from situations where you'll be tempted to drink.
It is challenging but it is worth it. I still have some bad days but I feel good about making 5 months so far. You could do it to.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

in AA, I was offered a choice: Die an alcoholic death or Try a spiritual way of life.

it was a difficult decision, but after lurking on here for about 10 years, I conceded and worked those 12 steps.

I have not had a craving or obsession to drink since then and am now moving on to 4 years of sobriety. I quit at age 50 and began to rebuild my life.

Life is interesting and beautiful today, relationships are being repaired and I am happy to live in my own skin today.

I fought all that AA had to offer for 25 years. ouch

Rational Recovery, SMART, AVRT, Life Ring, SOS all have their own websites. Maybe look into them?
Old 12-31-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi.
After many years sober as a result of attending and practicing the PROGRAM I remember my undisciplined ways when I was attempting and rationalizing all the things I didn’t like about AA.
I wasn’t and am not today a religious person but my ego is OK with Higher Power which can be the people at a meeting or Mother Nature which I can’t duplicate.

I needed to become sick and tired of being sick and tired along with the misery that comes with being an active alcoholic. This fluid alcohol is very Powerful, cunning, baffling and insidious and after a certain point only takes from us, our money, our freedom, family, jobs, respect and on and on.

Continued intake often results in a miserable end of life. The only logical end for me was stop using it and enjoy life as it is not as I want it.
Today I wouldn’t change my worst day sober with my best day drinking with all the good things in my life.
It comes with work on a steady basis that has boosted my self respect.

BE WELL
Old 12-31-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by JoeZee View Post
I don't know what I can do different.
Work on your recovery like your life depends on it--because it does.

There are programs, methods of recovery besides AA. Have you researched them? Rational Recovery, Life Ring. There's rehab, though they often use a 12-step approach, which you seem hesitant to try.

The decision to quit drinking is but the first step in recovery.

There's no easy out. Whatever you choose will take work, will take effort on your part, as well as major change. Some folks stay sober just using Sober Recovery. But they make it their focus and come here a lot.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi JoeZee have you considered rehab ?

Glad your here bud
Old 12-31-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi Joezee

You CAN stop !

Some good advice for you above.

All the best
Old 12-31-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Joe. Don't pick up a drink today. Just for today. Stay busy. No matter what, don't pick up a drink today.

Do that tomorrow.

It's a decision, is all.

Welcome to the site.

I went to AA meetings for the first four months. In the end, they were not for me, but they helped a lot in those early days to keep my mind focused on the solution to my drinking problem - which is to not drink. They also helped fill the time while I healed.