Notices

What do you do when you are frustrated with progress

Old 12-29-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you do when you are frustrated with progress

I know I have made some good progress this time being sober and have found some good things out of it.

But what do you do, when you are frustrated when something, or some part of this process, is not going as quickly as planned or thought?

I know that I drank for years, so it will take time for your body to get rid of all the toxins and re adjust to the new (but better) changes.

Just things like hitting a wall with energy, or some lingering foggy brain. Nothing really bad or anything, just wanting it to get there quicker.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to get over myself mostly LOL.

I was very used to the instant gratification of the bottle. It was hard for me to learn to sit and be patient while things happened - but that's exactly what recovery is like sometimes.

Someone said to me 'what if you're right where you're meant to be right now?' that rocked me back on my heels I tell you.

sometimes where I thought I should be was not where I needed to be, at all

D
Old 12-29-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I would say try to take your mind off it dont let it stress you

There will be days like this

Think of the turtle & the rabbit race my friend
Old 12-29-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is a great time to busy yourself with something else. It takes time, and finding something else to take up your thoughts will alow that time to pass a little quicker.

I'm very impatient myself, but sometimes it is all I can do to change the channel in my mind and think if something else for a while.

All I have ready points to 30, 60, 90, 180 days. 1 year, 2 year 5 years as the general times when you stop to reflect and really notice a change in yourself.

BeSt of luck to you
Old 12-29-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a pity party a while ago and one of the guys in AA said "go down to the burns unit at the children's hospital, see if you can find a child who has burns to 60-70% of their body, but will live and tell them all your difficulties and problems"

That snapped me out of it really really quickly.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Deep breaths, staying in the now, being grateful for where I am. I have this quote on a mug AND in a small frame. I like it a lot and it's helped me, maybe it will help you, too.

Slow Down
Calm Down
Don't Worry
Don't Hurry
Trust the Process
~ Alexandra Stoddard
Old 12-29-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to be so high strung sober--like I was always playing catch-up. This time around I'm kinda laid back..to the point of being lazy sometimes. I've had a coupla days of feeling just as you say--like am I really better? No small coincidence that the holidays brought in-laws who all said our house was nice and went on about how we've changed. I'll take their critique over my own. A lot of mine is my AV...Nonsense.