Notices

Their livers just shut down!

Old 12-29-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Alcohol really is "the demon in the bottle " it is horrible how it get a hold on people.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Ya**!

It's the frightening reality of the consequences of our actions. We're in a battle right now and we're playing for keeps.

I wouldn't say alcohol is the demon, but rather it's our own inner "demons" that drive us. It's why so many recovery programs encourage honesty and vulnerability within yourself... Because in the end, We decide whether we will have that first drink again or not. Nothing else.

Personally, I feel it's important to understand that distinction. Just my thoughts.

My condolences to those poor families. Sigh.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I am an alcoholic and was raised by a raging alcoholic who never got treatment. The ripple effect that he had on us (three kids from my mother) and to his other children (two kids from a previous marriage)..... It shows me how terrible alcoholism is, beyond death and beyond the suffering of the active alcoholic drinking.

I feel extremely lucky to have gotten into recovery and agree that each of us who made it to recovery need to get into the middle of the friggin life boat and help others when and how we can.

Thanks for posting this
Old 12-29-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I shared this with someone and he told me that all the alcoholics that die deserve a "Darwin Award"... I am appalled by the comment but I see some truth to it... I don't know... So easy, yet so hard.

I'm glad that I am able to help myself and that I'm crawling out of this hole.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Truly frightening. Thank God for the possibility and the blessing of Recovery. We don't HAVE to go there.

I am sorry for your losses, Serenidad.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am watching by hopelessly, as it is obviously killing my alcoholic mother. Sadly, the only good that has come out of her alcoholism, is that it made me face my alcoholism and I was able to quit exactly 15 months ago today. While I am grateful for my sobriety, my heart breaks waiting for the phone call that my mother has died from complications from this disease.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
I am watching by hopelessly, as it is obviously killing my alcoholic mother. Sadly, the only good that has come out of her alcoholism, is that it made me face my alcoholism and I was able to quit exactly 15 months ago today. While I am grateful for my sobriety, my heart breaks waiting for the phone call that my mother has died from complications from this disease.

I am sorry, DD.

Thoughts and prayers for you and your Mom.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Unfortunately many die so a few fortunate ones can live. I often ask myself, "Why me?" The only answer I have is God has a plan for me and that my words have kept someone sober for a day.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
I heard this on TV and cant get it out of my mind. Every alcoholic at some point has to sober up. The question is how will it happen. rehab, metal institution, hospital, nursing home, sober living, jail, working a program from home or death? It seems extreme but the disease is just that. You cant poison your body and expect it to bounce back everytime. Something has got to give. I thank God everyday I have a program that I can work while I still have a life.
Soooo true Okla! You either sober up or get locked up or covered up. :-(
Old 12-29-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sarahjewel View Post
I hate alcoholism too! I hate the poison that I have craved so much. I love that I am now back in recovery, doing AA, connecting with other alcoholics and, finally, understanding that this disease is a killer. We have, whether we wins to admit it or not, a terminal disease if we let it run it's course. Alcohol KILLS alcholholics!!! Hang in there friend as we are with out a doubt the lucky ones xx
We ARE the lucky ones because we have a chance if we just don't drink. I may have another drunk in me but I'm not sure I have another recovery.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
We never know when the recovery we have is the last one we are granted. If left untreated this disease is fatal. Unfortunately far too many discover this fact when it is too late. My sponsor told me in early recovery that I would have to get used to stepping over the bodies.
So so sad! Hard to "step over bodies when they are people you love. :-(
Old 12-29-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
As sad as your post is, I thinks it's important for people trying to stop to understand this disease/problem is much more than just worrying about losing some drinking friends. It is about life and death. I'm sorry for your losses, sending you my best wishes.
Thanks Tang. They weren't my drinking friends. They were just friends and family who couldn't stop drinking. My post was about being angry at the disease because it steals so many people away at a young age. I'm so grateful to be sober today.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
I heard something at a meeting last night that rings true. "Alcohol wants to get you alone and kill you".
I've heard things like that too! Someone in a meeting I went to said "look at all the people sitting in the chairs in this AA meeting....the disease is circling around the chairs like a snake waiting to pick off and kill the weakest link!" Scary!
Old 12-29-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
I'm so sorry about your mom Double. That must be so hard. I'm glad that you are taking a different path so you can create a brighter future for your family. Great job on 15 mo!
Old 12-29-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks Serenidad, I am so sorry for your losses.

I think this thread is very helpful. Sometimes I think I focus too much on the dandelions and butterflies of recovery and neglect the reality. This addiction stuff is really scary.

This thread is a great reminder and motivator to stay the course.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Do you mind me asking the approx age of the people that died?
Old 12-29-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
As sad as your post is, I thinks it's important for people trying to stop to understand this disease/problem is much more than just worrying about losing some drinking friends. It is about life and death. I'm sorry for your losses, sending you my best wishes.
I think when I realized that it had in fact become a matter of life and death I wised up and quit. I'm glad you pointed this out Tang.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
So so sad! Hard to "step over bodies when they are people you love. :-(
Indeed it is both of my parents died from alcoholism and my brother is well on his way
Old 12-29-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
Do you mind me asking the approx age of the people that died?
Most were in their 20's. One was as young as 22. A few in their 30's. :-( Way too young. :-(
Old 12-29-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Indeed it is both of my parents died from alcoholism and my brother is well on his way
Oh no! That's terrible MI! I'm sooo sorry! :-(