Notices

Their livers just shut down!

Old 12-28-2014, 10:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Their livers just shut down!

I can't believe how many people I know who have died of alcoholism over the past few years! Now that I am back in AA I am learning of several more people who relapsed and died. Soooo sad!

2 of my friends and my aunt died of liver failure recently. They were super young. They kept saying they were gonna quit "soon" and they waited too long.

Amy was passed out on her couch and her daughter took her to the ER & they found out her liver had completely failed! They gave her 72 hours to live and say goodbye to people. She died 36 hours later!

Kathy ended up going to the doctor with pain where her liver is and she died a few weeks later of liver failure and she was also young!

Morgan was a weekend binge drinker but her liver died on her too! She was found dead in her car after pulling over to rest on her way home from a vacation.

3 people committed suicide due to alcohol, one died detoxing herself, and several others are currently drinking themselves to death!

This is serious sh-t people! I'm so ANGRY at this disease right now!!! It's stealing people away! People I CARE about! It will take many many more. It's hungry. It's evil. It's laughing as we all kill ourselves. It's a monster!

Stay in the middle of the pack (recovery). If you stay on the "edges" you will be "picked off" and killed by alcoholism. I just read that 2.5 million people in the world die every year from alcoholism or alcohol related deaths!

Again...Hate this disease!!!

SORRY so negative....I really just Needed to vent...just heard of another friend killing herself with alcohol and one on her way. I'm so grateful I made it back to recovery after my relapse because most don't.

Just.Don't.Drink.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that - yes those of us in recovery are truly the lucky ones.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

My prayers go out to all those still suffering, and their loved ones.

D
Old 12-28-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
My prayers go out to all those still suffering, and their loved ones. D
I pray daily too Dee! So so sad. :-(
Old 12-28-2014, 11:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm very sorry for your losses. Thank you for sharing, and reminding everyone of how fortunate we are to be in recovery.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm sorry for your losses. The sad truth is that most alcoholics don't seek treatment. Those of us who do are, as JaylaaKent said, the lucky ones.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Hayley. It's so tragic. These were bright, successful, funny, "normal" people in all respects except they drank toxic amounts of alcohol. :-( The world has lost some great people and heaven has gained many angels...
Old 12-28-2014, 11:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, thanks for sharing. This is a horrible disease. But we do recover. If we stay with our plan, we live.

Love from Lenina
Old 12-28-2014, 11:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lenina View Post
Yes, thanks for sharing. This is a horrible disease. But we do recover. If we stay with our plan, we live. Love from Lenina
Yes I should have mentioned that I have seen many people in AA (and heard of people on SR) recover who now have happy lives behind their wildest imaginations. Those are the people who always put sobriety first. They say "anything you put before your recovery or sobriety you will lose".
Old 12-28-2014, 11:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

It is absolutely tragic.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There is the good news, we dont have to live that way any more. I remember the first time I heard that. i was amazed. It hadn't occurred to me. It really hadn't. I didn't know there was a way out of the insanity, out of the pain, out of the madness that is active addiction!

AA is a good program. It can help you repair your life. It did for me. AVRT and Rational Recovery work too. I use a bit of each today to stay sober and content.

Love from Lenina
Old 12-29-2014, 12:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that SD

I guess it just goes to show that "alcoholism kills " isn't just something Oldtimers say to scare AA newcomers.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I heard this on TV and cant get it out of my mind.

Every alcoholic at some point has to sober up. The question is how will it happen. rehab, metal institution, hospital, nursing home, sober living, jail, working a program from home or death?

It seems extreme but the disease is just that. You cant poison your body and expect it to bounce back everytime. Something has got to give. I thank God everyday I have a program that I can work while I still have a life.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sending thoughts & prayers to all affected
Old 12-29-2014, 02:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I hate alcoholism too! I hate the poison that I have craved so much. I love that I am now back in recovery, doing AA, connecting with other alcoholics and, finally, understanding that this disease is a killer. We have, whether we wins to admit it or not, a terminal disease if we let it run it's course. Alcohol KILLS alcholholics!!! Hang in there friend as we are with out a doubt the lucky ones xx
Old 12-29-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

OMG - this just so rings through what my Dr was saying to me this morning.
I went to Dr - to basically admit how bad I felt my drinking had got.....also with pain in my liver area.
Dr was great and very supportive .... but she was also telling me about the damage that alcohol can do to the liver .... it's never to late to help yourself and stop.

We need to keep going ....

xxxx
Old 12-29-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

We never know when the recovery we have is the last one we are granted. If left untreated this disease is fatal. Unfortunately far too many discover this fact when it is too late.

My sponsor told me in early recovery that I would have to get used to stepping over the bodies.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

As sad as your post is, I thinks it's important for people trying to stop to understand this disease/problem is much more than just worrying about losing some drinking friends. It is about life and death. I'm sorry for your losses, sending you my best wishes.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

I'm so sorry for your losses, Serenidad.

I am immensely grateful that I have been given a chance of a second life.

I pray for all those who still suffer.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I heard something at a meeting last night that rings true.

"Alcohol wants to get you alone and kill you".