Notices

Where is the bottom?

Old 12-26-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, rigg.

Your bottom is where you make it. Can you accept where you are now as your bottom and move forward into a better way of living?

Glad you found us, rigg.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I can accept it. But how can I make my commitment last?
Old 12-26-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by riig View Post
I can accept it. But how can I make my commitment last?
My suggestion is to build a strong support system. Maybe start by utilizing SR to its fullest; read around the site - there is an abundance of information on alcoholism and addiction here. Read the threads on Alcoholism and the Newcomer's threads. Post and reply.

There is also information on methods and techniques one can use to achieve and maintain sobriety. Here's the link:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...r-connections/

And AA, of course.

For me, acceptance was absolutely key - acceptance that I could not moderate and that alcohol had nothing of value to offer me.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My bottom was related to my health. There are three stages of alcoholic liver disease: fatty liver, alcoholic hep. (Inflammation), and then finally cirrhosis. I was at stage two and didn't want to progress to stage 3. I am 32. Never lost a job though! Lol. Every bottom is different.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bottom is when you decide you've had enough, you want to change - and you start working for that change.

Some people need to crash the car to reach that point, others simply wake up one day and decide.

I know which one I'd pick if I had my time again

D
Old 12-26-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Xtreem View Post
The bottom is wherever you put down the shovel and stop digging.
That right there.^^^

The bottom is where you stop digging and start climbing.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Sounds like your life is a bowl of cherries. Exactly how much worse do you want it get?
Old 12-26-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

All it has to be is a point at which you become willing to put in the action to change.

Not just stop drinking.

Of course that is priority number one, but only the tip of the iceberg.

I personally had 3 wrecked cars, licence loss, beatings, jailing....the whole box and dice before I turned 23.

Nothing "scared" me sober.

That kind of stuff happens to a lot of alcoholic folk, but it isn't necessary at all.

Like I said, bottom is a point at which you just say "enough and I can't do it on my own ".... Ask for help / advice and then follow the advice ie: take action.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I have always imagined that hitting rock bottom for an alcoholic was supposed to include crashing a car and injuring yourself or others, or losing your family after years of disappointment, or perhaps losing your job upon showing up drunk and insulting a coworker.

Im not there. I have hurt people i love by saying stupid stuff or acting stupidly while drunk. So far they have forgiven me. I crashed my car and no one got hurt. I was also arrested once and taken to the hospital on a different occasion for public intoxication. I have cheated on my gf, argued with my dad while drunk, and said mean things to him.

I have made my gf cry and my parents worry. And somehow i believe it can be much more worse. I have heard stories. Im afraid because each new bottom hurts more. I dont want to fall deeper. But i keep wondering: is it possible to get out before hitting a real hard rock bottom?
So, if I'm hearing you right, these are things you wouldn't do sober? If not, and I was doing similar, then I would definitely say my life has become unmanageable. Unmanageable was enough for me. I didn't need to become a bag lady to imagine life as one. I did a lot of telling myself I wasn't going to stop and get a bottle on the way home from work then finding my car parked in front of the booze shop and getting there, seemingly, by itself. I dumped a lot of booze down the drain to keep from drinking it because I knew I would if it was there. Yeh, unmanageable which told me things could go lower. I guess the lowest is dead. And, though its beyond my comprehension with this baffling disease, some need to go that far.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
p***enger

You only see your bottom once you turn around and start swimming up to the surface. Usually running out of air and chased by sharks!

Until then, as long as you're drinking, you can't predict how low you'll go. Afterwards, you'll know it as the last place you never ever want to go back to.

I wouldn't worry too much about if you've hit the right bottom -- every one is different. Worry about how fast you can get up to the air!
Old 12-26-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Your rock bottom can be wherever you want to stop the cycle. No need to go any further down. Stop now before things get really bad.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

There are a thousand different opinions on SR but I think just about every one agrees that alcoholism is progressive. It only gets worse.

So the question is when do we get off the elevator to hell
Old 12-26-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

It's funny you ask where is the bottom. I used to all that myself.

What I've found through extensive research is that the norm keeps getting lower.

I would call myself a functional alcoholic. That being said. I've been dragged to the nut ward in hospital. I've hurt myself and family. Done things i never thought i would.

So you ask where is the bottom. The bottom is the grave. Alchol addition only stops until it's taken everything from you or you stop.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I think a lot of times whether someone hits a "low bottom" or not is due to luck. For example, you could drive drunk 99 times with no consequences, and on the 100th time get in a serious car wreck. So does this mean that before the car wreck, your drinking problem was less serious than after the wreck? In my opinion no. You are ready to stop drinking when you decide. I hear a lot of people in AA say they stopped because they were "sick and tired of being sick and tired" whether or not there were other consequences such as losing license, job, spouse, etc.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xtreem View Post
The bottom is wherever you put down the shovel and stop digging.

there it is ^^^^^
Old 12-26-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Well I agree with all of you. Then it is a matter of committing and staying committed. Because Im pretty sure that after climbing for a while and seeing the light I will start doubting if there was really a problem to begin with. And there is a problem.

From what you guys say I get to choose my bottom. And so I choose this one with the sincere hope that it will be the lowest I will get. I feel sad, but if I tell myself it will all be better from here it makes me feel a little better. Of course, telling that to myself is the easy part. I have to fight for it.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Well I agree with all of you. Then it is a matter of committing and staying committed. Because Im pretty sure that after climbing for a while and seeing the light I will start doubting if there was really a problem to begin with. And there is a problem.

From what you guys say I get to choose my bottom. And so I choose this one with the sincere hope that it will be the lowest I will get. I feel sad, but if I tell myself it will all be better from here it makes me feel a little better. Of course, telling that to myself is the easy part. I have to fight for it.
We are here to help you fight, riig.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

You reached your bottom today, if you are willing to put down the bottle and make some changes.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Rock bottom for me was hating myself for not being able to stop the madness. Then I realized that I was creating the madness.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Yes it is. The weird thing is, and it is so hard to see when you're still drinking, is that you have some control over your bottom because you ultimately decide When will be enough. I didn't do any of those things, but man I was miserable. I wanted to die.