Notices

Where is the bottom?

Old 12-26-2014, 10:34 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I think that the idea of the bottom is also like the idea of being a high functioning drinker. Both are narratives that our AVs will tell in order to keep us in the drink: we might have a headache, be a bit fuzzy at work, or annoy our families, but we haven't gotten a DUI, we're not in prison, we haven't lost a job. Therefore, we haven't hit the mythical bottom.

I'm very new at this (a bit over three months sober) but one realization I have had is that even though I have had professional success, I wasn't working at anything near my full potential: indeed, I wasn't as high functioning as I thought. And same with the bottom: while I may not have hit some phantastical bottom, since I've quit drinking I realize that I was bumping along the bottom for years when I could have been soaring.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Well these past two days have allowed me to reflect on he severity of how low has alcohol brought me. Plus, i have added all these ideas to my understanding of the "bottom".

Could i go lower? Sure!

Am i intending to go lower? Hell no!

I stopped digging and have been sitting in he bottom full of shame for a couple days. I believe it is time to climb out
Old 12-27-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

SR is here to help, riig.

Have you begun to think about a plan?

Have you made your home a safe, alcohol-free zone?
Old 12-27-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Ruined relationships can most definitely be a rock bottom.

Either way, you have plenty of warning signs right in front of your face, and it's good that you recognize them. Sobriety can help to repair a lot of damage.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

My home is sufficiently alcohol free. My issue is outside. All my good friends drink. Also my AV (i just learned what it means) is I believe my worst issue. After a while it will tell me to seek my friends and drink. It will tell me it is ok. But hopefully knowing what is is will give me more defenses.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by riig View Post
My home is sufficiently alcohol free. My issue is outside. All my good friends drink. Also my AV (i just learned what it means) is I believe my worst issue. After a while it will tell me to seek my friends and drink. It will tell me it is ok. But hopefully knowing what is is will give me more defenses.
Have you read about RR & AVRT?

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information