Notices

Just goes to show you

Old 12-17-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just goes to show you

I talked with a dear friend of mine who I've known for many years. In college I dated her current hubby..but all three of us remained friends. Anyway...he became this fantastic Anesthesiologist. He was the chair of the department at John Hopkins, etc. Brilliant man. He was and always will be a workaholic. They have three lovely successful kids...money galore.

But...

She is not happy and he isn't either. No divorce is pending...they are life partners for sure. But they are not happy.

So I listened and gave what support I could. It's always amazing to me how people can have just about everything (on the outside) yet be miserable on the inside.

I am happy because I am beating back this alcohol thing and feeling better everyday. Maybe it's apples and oranges, but I will take sobriety over status and money any day!
Old 12-17-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

this morning I read a pretty darn good article about marriage over the long haul....

your post made me think maybe your friend would be interested in reading it.

36 Things I Know After 36 Years of Marriage | Winifred M. Reilly

having been married twice for a total of almost 18 years, I think this piece has a lot to offer.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hear you, ArtFriend.

I will take sobriety over almost anything; without it, all of the other stuff barely even registers anyway.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Owl for the link

You are so right Leigh!
Old 12-17-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sad for your friends. As you say, just goes to show you. The other night during my "time of the season" pity party because I am all alllllooooooonnnnee...well, a conversation with a married friend..and one yesterday, I was able to realize...

It was just my thoughts making me sad.

Neither of the two friends in question, who are in relationship, are any happier or any less lonely.

We are all struggling along, but it's always nice when we feel like we are winning the fight (e.g. sobriety)...