Notices

Sober Anger and Hurt

Old 12-03-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you!
Old 12-03-2014, 10:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
It certainly changes the relationship dynamic when you get sober. My husband and I are still getting used to things and I'm around 20 months now. When one partner makes a significant change, it forces the other to reckon with that shift.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I have changed so much since getting sober and it has had a huge impact on my marriage. I am not the person I was and had no idea the change would be so huge.

When drinking I felt guilty, bad and took the blame my whole life for things I had done or perceived I had done or was told I had done. Now sober, I do not have to do that anymore. It is MY responsibility tolook after me and my emotions. I cannot control others or they control me unless I allow them to.

I agree with others Missoverit, your relationship sounds toxic,controlling even, but all you can control is you and how you deal with your side of things. You decide what is acceptable for you to have in your life. It is very much a gradual process. I understand about the anger-it is a resentment and resentments are the one thing that made me drink again as I didn't understand them. Once I did and learned how to work through them it did get easier. It does take time but it does get easier. Some relationships don't succeed when we get sober but that isn't necessarily a bad thing because we put up with being abused and have such little self worth when drunk we think we don't deserve any better.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I know what your saying! I can SOOOOO relate. After getting sober resentment came boiling over. Its a process everyday dumping the trash.