Notices

*tapering*

Old 11-25-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

*tapering*

I'm finding this very, VERY hard to do. It's been like 3 or 4 days of less than a 6 pack a day (I was doing 18-24 drinks) and I'm about ready to ******* explode already! The anger that is going thru me at the moment is so ******* stupid, I didn't imagine I could feel like this, even though I'm still drinking. Like wtf?? Is this normal for people who are tapering off? I'm getting withdrawals and all! Just want to make sure I'm not some special sped **** and not the only one who experiences this while weaning down off the booze
Old 11-25-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Nathan it could be because you dont want to drink and its making you angry that your tapering ?

i remember before i gave up trying my best to control it and i just couldnt it seriously ****** me off i was like why me havnt i had everything life can throw at me and now i cant drink why me...

it was a horrible time where i wasnt thinking straight drink polluted my mind to such a point i was truly lost

im not saying that is you but you struck a chord in me with the anger i remember the anger at not being able to control it

sorry your feeling like this my best advice is no tapering wake up tomorrow make it a day 1

you can pm me anytime

remember anger is the enemy

& It gets a lot better once sober Nathan, i didnt believe i could ever get sober but i did i have a 5000% better life and in 20 mins il be 500 days sober

good luck my friend
Old 11-25-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Tapering is extremely difficult for an alcoholic and some people cannot do it at all. I never could. I had to quit altogether and I used a medical detox facility to help me. I highly recommend it if at all possible.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Nathan. As I think I already told you, the whole concept of tapering always really screws with my head. In the past I ended up drinking even more than usual towards the set detox date. It just seems so contrary to what we know to be our nature as addicts. For me, 6 beers would leave me panting for more and agitated, unable to sleep. I don't really have any advice to offer sorry, but I wish you all the best. Keep posting and let us know how you're going. Best, Caz.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're used to drinking a lot it's quite possible to get withdrawals while tapering, although in a way it's good they don't seem to be bothering you as much as the anger.

What's the go on the second opinion?

D
Old 11-25-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I haven't had te chance to get a second opinion yet as I'm working 13 hour shifts at the moment. My first day off is Friday and that's when I'm booked in to see a second doctor, and next week I think Monday I to to a drug and alcohol consultation thingy, so just trying to hold off as best I can until then. And yeah the anger prevails over withdrawals at the moment.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you'll find it'll get a little better was the week goes on Nathan.

Just try and keep it together - I found it useful to think that it was a result of chemical changes in my brain...somehow that gave the anger less power over me.

D
Old 11-25-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When ever I would try to taper it would just **** me off too. So I thought I would be smart and "set up" only certain nights a week that I could have enough drinks to get me drunk but not black-out-drunk the next day. It just back fired. The less days I would drink out of the week the more I would drink on my designated booze nights. After experimenting with this for about a month it got even worse and my tolerance on the those nights shot through the roof, making just a handful of booze nights ruining most of my week. I also started to obsess over when I could drink every minute of the day. Just a horrible way to exist.

I'm not drinking now and seriously taking one day at time. Also joined the WFS program and went to my first meeting last week. The best to you and this work you're doing.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did find that stopping drinking was really easier than tapering. I understand your situation and that you are waiting on the drs opinion. As Dee said, I hope you can hang in there until then.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I should be able to, I hope!
Old 11-25-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Tapering is extremely difficult for an alcoholic and some people cannot do it at all. I never could. I had to quit altogether and I used a medical detox facility to help me. I highly recommend it if at all possible.
Hear, hear. An alcoholic who is "drinking to quit" might just be running a fool's errand, in my opinion. Like Suki, I also spent time in a medical detox facility. It's not exactly The Ritz, but it gets the job done. I also recommend you look into something along these lines. Good luck!
Old 11-25-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Inpatient detox is a much easier way to go if that is an option for you. It's also a lot safer than what you're doing. You are definitely doing it the hard way.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't think inpatient is a option. I live in a remote area and have to work to support my family still. As much as it would be easier.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I could never taper. I just ended up drinking the whole bottle. So much easier to just not drink at all.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I couldn't taper/moderate/ cut back etc. if you can work 13 hour shifts without alcohol can't you completely stop? Glad your hanging in there
Old 11-25-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

personally, I've always found "tapering" to be
my AV's ploy to prolong me from quitting.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can only speak for me. Tapering worked and I'm sure saved me from loads of physical WD I've had in the past and quite possibly my life. I will say that I was very sick and felt better by the end of day 1. I also took max doses of vitamins and minerals depleted by alcohol a month prior and a month after quitting. Reading the AVRT crash course in the Secular Forums helped get my head right for the jump after 2 weeks. I did not go by how I "felt" emotionally (I was a wreck for months anyway). I used BP, shakes/sweats as my barometer and drank my twice daily dose slowly w/food. I would not trade the "being present" for the whole ordeal for a malibu detox. I learned a lot about me in the process.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Nathan, hang in there! Probably your emotions are all over the place and intensified. You can do this! :-) Everything is all going to be soooo much better, very soon!
Old 11-25-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My tapering experiments only prolonged the agony of withdrawal...just my personal experience. Feel better soon.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
EndGame

I have two separate and extremely unequal relationships with alcohol. Only one of my relationships destroys everything good in me and in my life, leaves my soul empty, breaks my heart, and delivers me to a premature death.